The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Big BangTheory Options
Barnacle Barney Bill
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:31:46 PM

Neurons: 84,575
Does anyone have a theory about what caused the big bang? I don't mean a description of what happened. Almost everyone can describe an explosion. Chemicals interact at an accelerated rate causing heat and poof. Why do the chemicals interact like that? We get another description of molecules and electrons etc. It must take a lot faith to believe that descriptions of phenomena are answers to the formation of life. However, I think even atheists and agnostics do live their lives as thought there was a God. They love, they hate and live as though their lives had meaning and satisfaction. So what. It is just chemical impulses causing this. If the concepts of good and evil or love and hate are merely chemical impulses what difference does it make which one and individual does. We know scientific facts have no moral basis. Science does not make moral judgements. Science describes a moral belief as a chemical electrical impulse. It does not choose one chemical electrical impulse over another. Some say it is because of the survival instinct(another chemical electrical impulse). Why would a chemical electrical impulse care if it survives. God. No God. It takes a lot of faith either way one views it. But, is living life by one view but believing another view hypocritical(yet another chemical electrical impulse concept)?
Y111
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 3:48:46 AM

Neurons: 628
Do you have a theory about what caused God? If he doesn't need a cause, then why does the world?
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 4:40:36 AM

Neurons: 392,925
Barnacle Barney Bill wrote:
Does anyone have a theory about what caused the big bang? I don't mean a description of what happened. Almost everyone can describe an explosion. Chemicals interact at an accelerated rate causing heat and poof. Why do the chemicals interact like that? We get another description of molecules and electrons etc. It must take a lot faith to believe that descriptions of phenomena are answers to the formation of life.

If you don't want a description of what happened, when why ask what happened? If you don't want to know why chemicals interact with others, then why ask the question? If you want to know why life forms the way it did, descriptions of phenomena are key to that. That has nothing to do with faith, but with observations.

However, I think even atheists and agnostics do live their lives as thought there was a God. They love, they hate and live as though their lives had meaning and satisfaction. So what. It is just chemical impulses causing this. If the concepts of good and evil or love and hate are merely chemical impulses what difference does it make which one and individual does.
Context. Chemical impulses are one factor. Behaviour within a society and the society's response to behaviour is another factor. Individuals do what they like, unless they want to be part of society. Then rules are formed to regulate everything.

We know scientific facts have no moral basis. Science does not make moral judgements. Science describes a moral belief as a chemical electrical impulse. It does not choose one chemical electrical impulse over another. Some say it is because of the survival instinct(another chemical electrical impulse). Why would a chemical electrical impulse care if it survives.
Chemical or electrical impulses don't care. They just are. It's the context that matters: the body in which the impulses occur and the context of the body itself.

God. No God. It takes a lot of faith either way one views it. But, is living life by one view but believing another view hypocritical(yet another chemical electrical impulse concept)?
Technically it takes no faith to view it without god.
Could you give an example of how one lives a life by one view but believes another?

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 8:24:40 AM

Neurons: 5,014
According to the Astrophysists and Cosmologists chemistry, electrons and molecules etc were not the cause of he Big Bang.

What created the Universe were what are known as Elementary Particles that interacted with each other at very high energy states, it was only later in the process that the subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons and electrons formed and much later that atoms, stuff as we know it formed.

But morally I am an atheist, I live in the social construct of the society that I live in love and loath because of the way evolution and culture have shaped my brain, Imdo not require a belief in God to do good, or bad come to that.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 12:19:15 PM

Neurons: 67,066
BBB, when a little knowledge entered the brain of it started trying to find answers to your question. With the advancement of science new theories developed. Contrarily, no new editions of any religious books have hit the stands since long; and it cannot hit because religion is a very delicate subject to talk about. Majority wars, since advent of humanity have been fought in the name of the religion.

But;

WHY, WHY, WHY has not been explained till date in a convincing way. Theories abound. Religious books explain. You, I and the mankind might never be able to get an explanation because this secret has been securely held up from humans by HIM. Reason, for evolution or Big-bang, is a mute point. Yes or know, nobody knows. But chemical reactions do take place as tears flow down automatically at some bad happening and we laugh only when certain chemicals of brain stir certain part of the brain.

How do our brains know when something is funny? As science reporter Tanya Lewis explains, it's thanks to the frontal lobe of our brain, which is responsible for our emotional responses. So while the left side is responsible for interpreting the words and structure of a joke, the right side determines whether that joke is funny or not.
Research has also shown that the limbic system at the centre of the brain - which contains the amygdale and hippocampus and processes our most basic emotions, such as hunger and fear - is also triggered when we see or hear something funny. This activity eventually stimulates the motor region of the brain to become active, and that's what produces the physical reaction of laughing and the vocal expulsion of sound.
Our body system is very complex. Thousands of chemicals (we know them by the name ‘enzymes’) are produced by different cells at different times of the day.
We are not experts. Let the discussion continue.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
will
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 2:10:44 PM

Neurons: 4,295
I was pleased to see the return of your name, Barnacle Barney Bill. I seemed to recall enjoying your previous posts... but this most recent one is complete nonsense, full of flawed assumptions and logical fallacies.

Have you suffered a blow to the head since we last saw you, or was I remembering you incorrectly? Think

Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:28:57 AM

Neurons: 58,909
Barnacle Barney Bill wrote:
Science describes a moral belief as a chemical electrical impulse.

There are many orders of magnitude of complexity between electro-chemical activity and the mental behavior of human beings, as well as many levels of observation higher than molecular that must be considered. A very weak analogy that encompasses far fewer levels of complexity, would be to say the Windows operating system is just a bunch of electrical on/off switches, but this analogy does point out the fallacy of saying anyone thinks human mental behavior is merely chemical reactions.

Science makes no such claim.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:12:38 AM

Neurons: 374,336
Epiphileon wrote:
but this analogy does point out the fallacy of saying anyone thinks human mental behavior is merely chemical reactions.

Science makes no such claim.

Traditional science made a claim that once you know the present state and the laws of Nature you can say whatever it will be in the future. Quantum mechanics made it even more weird - you can say only the probability of a certain outcome.

Our everyday experience says we make a choice every second. For example I contemplated for a minute if I need to reply to your post and decided I should. This certainly contradicts those claims.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.