The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I don't care Options
dave freak
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:26:52 AM

Neurons: 6,556
Good afternoon!

Would you mind providing me with different ways of saying "I don't care" in terms of the popularity of their usage? I'm not interested in vulgar examples. The ones I came up with aren't so nice, nor are they so rude. . Anxious

I don't give a monkey's how expensive a flat she has? (Is the word order correct here?)

I don't give a tinker's cuss who she's with.

I'm interested to know how to put it in a more formal way? What about this:

It doesn't concern/include me.

I'm afraid it doesn't mean what I want to say.

Thanks for your help.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 8:58:45 AM

Neurons: 43,559
There are several polite forms:

It's of no concern to me.
I couldn't care less.
It's of no consequence to me.
I simply don't care.
If I valued their opinion, I might care.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
NKM
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:09:40 AM

Neurons: 175,643
I've never heard, and don't expect to ever hear, "a tinker's cuss". The proper phrase is "a tinker's dam".

Note that (supposedly) the word is "dam", not "damn" — and there's nothing vulgar about it, though it may be interpreted as a cuss-word.

A tinker, in the course of soldering a metal doohickey of some sort, might need to create a small temporary "dam" (perhaps of mud or clay?) to keep the solder from flowing beyond its intended target. Such a dam would likely be destroyed in the process, so it would have to be cheap and disposable.

dave freak
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 9:53:44 AM

Thanks guys for your contribution.

@NKM

I heard this phrase (tinker's cuss) in one of the British films, whose action takes place in London. Maybe that's the local slang?
towan52
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:58:00 AM

Neurons: 156,711
Cuss was probable dropped in the US during enlightenment! It is an English idiom.

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 12:30:50 PM

Neurons: 4,413
Rather than being slang I would suspect " tinkers cuss" was used because the British film censorship board would argue that "tinkers dam" and "tinkers damn" are homophones, they alike when spoken in a film.
Anyone watching the film word know what the actor would really have said.
Depending on how old the film David watched was they were very strict on such words at one point.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 1:11:05 PM

Neurons: 53,312
Sarrriesfan wrote:
I would suspect " tinkers cuss" was used because the British film censorship board would argue that "tinkers dam" and "tinkers damn" are homophones,
The expression is a century older than film censorship -http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tinker-s-cuss
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 3:49:57 PM

tunaafi wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
I would suspect " tinkers cuss" was used because the British film censorship board would argue that "tinkers dam" and "tinkers damn" are homophones,
The expression is a century older than film censorship -http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tinker-s-cuss

That's interesting, with respect to Romany I wonder it it's related to tinker sometimes being used as a derogatory term for a gypsy and the idea of gypsy curses?

Romany
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 4:23:53 PM

Neurons: 39,155

It may indeed be. But then, "tinker's cuss" would tend to be the original, don't you think? Because to earn a gypsy curse was looked upon as a calamitous event. And not to care about one would show a certain level of insouciance.

Whereas a tinker's dam wouldn't be something every gypsy would tend to have in their possession?

Have absolutely no idea of the rights of it, though, am just thinking on my feet. (Or fingers, perhaps?)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 5:56:55 PM

Romany wrote:

It may indeed be. But then, "tinker's cuss" would tend to be the original, don't you think? Because to earn a gypsy curse was looked upon as a calamitous event. And not to care about one would show a certain level of insouciance.

Whereas a tinker's dam wouldn't be something every gypsy would tend to have in their possession?

Have absolutely no idea of the rights of it, though, am just thinking on my feet. (Or fingers, perhaps?)

Absolutely, it would be the original and not caring about a gypsies curse would be risking the wrath of the fates.

NKM
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:06:46 PM

Neurons: 175,643
"I don't give a tinker's dam" means "I don't care at all."

Back in older times a Gypsy's curse may well have been thought of as a serious threat, not to be lightly dismissed as "nothing at all". That leads me to favor the "little bit of almost nothing" used in the tinker's trade as a more likely source of the phrase.

And of course "tinker's dam" is a euphemism, meant to be less blasphemous than "damn". (Plausible deniability?)

dave freak
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:09:48 PM

Thank you all of you :)