The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

France Declares War on Prussia (1870) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,858
France Declares War on Prussia (1870)

The Franco-Prussian War was the outcome of the progressive unification of German states after the Napoleonic Wars. Events came to a head when the Spanish throne was offered to a member of the Prussian Hohenzollern family, raising the possibility of a Prussian-Spanish alliance against France. The French government demanded assurances that no member of the Hohenzollern family would ever rule Spain and declared war when it was refused. What famously insulting telegram prompted France's declaration? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:11:33 AM

Neurons: 2,027,680
This Day in History
France Declares War on Prussia (1870)
The Franco-Prussian War was the outcome of the progressive unification of German states after the Napoleonic Wars. Events came to a head when the Spanish throne was offered to a member of the Prussian Hohenzollern family, raising the possibility of a Prussian-Spanish alliance against France. The French government demanded assurances that no member of the Hohenzollern family would ever rule Spain and declared war when it was refused.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:46:09 PM

Neurons: 3,789,224
The Ems Telegram
Bismarck & the Franco-Prussian War

The Ems Telegram was originally a telegram sent by Heinrich Abeken of the Foreign Office acting under the instructions of King Wilhelm I, at a time when the king was staying at the spa town of Ems, to Bismarck which, although acceptably polite and diplomatic as it left Ems, when published after selective, and procatively intended, amendments were made by Bismarck precipitated the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71.

The telegram's contents outlined the details of a disagreement between Wilhelm and the French ambassador concerning the succession to the Spanish throne.

The Unedited Version reads:-

His Majesty the King has written to me:

"Count Benedetti intercepted me on the promenade and ended by demanding of me in a very importunate manner that I should authorize him to telegraph at once that I bound myself in perpetuity never again to give my consent if the Hohenzollerns renewed their candidature.

I rejected this demand somewhat sternly as it is neither right nor possible to undertake engagements of this kind [for ever and ever]. Naturally I told him that I had not yet received any news and since he had been better informed via Paris and Madrid than I was, he must surely see that my government was not concerned in the matter."

[The King, on the advice of one of his ministers] "decided in view of the above-mentioned demands not to receive Count Benedetti any more, but to have him informed by an adjutant that His Majesty had now received [from Leopold] confirmation of the news which Benedetti had already had from Paris and had nothing further to say to the ambassador.

His Majesty suggests to Your Excellency that Benedetti's new demand and its rejection might well be communicated both to our ambassadors and to the Press."

French court circles gratified Bismarck's deeper purposes by viewing his version of the Ems Telegram to be intolerable and thus war was declared by the French Empire on the Kingdom of Prussia on July 19th, 1870.

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/ems_telegram.html