The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Need Photo Website to Host Pix on TFD (free) Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 9:43:48 PM

Neurons: 41,256
People have mentioned various sites they use to post photos on TFD, but since I was using Photobucket, I didn't pay attention. However, I got an email tonight from Photobucket that they had deleted most of my photos, saying I need to pay $35.00 a month for the amount of third party hosting I was doing for TFD. So I just deleted my account and then all of my photos posted on TFD will be deleted in a couple of days.

Photobucket was getting to be a pain anyhow with their recent stepping up of all the ads every few seconds and some of the ads you could not make go away without exiting Photobucket and signing in again.

So no more pix by me on TFD unless I can find another free site for third party hosting that is easy to navigate.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 12:20:59 AM

Neurons: 327,262
Hope123 wrote:
So no more pix by me on TFD unless I can find another free site for third party hosting that is easy to navigate.

Why not use one of these services:

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=cr&gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&q=upload+pictures

I use my account on another forum. I would suggest that but it has its drawbacks - a limit of 150MB per user, intermittent problems with accessibility (you will not call it 7/24) and a wonderful Russian interface. If you still want it I can help you with translation. This is a picture of my dear dictionary:

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 12:07:18 PM

Neurons: 43,978
I use photobucket and never had a problem, but I don't post many pics. I'm assuming you use their services too much and that's why they want you to pay?

At any rate, I did a quick search and found this site:
http://www.adweek.com/digital/top-15-free-online-file-storage-sites-2/

Something here might be helpful.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:09:58 PM

Thanks, FD and Xap. I will check them both out.

The email said it was because I used Photobucket exclusively for third party hosting and did not use any of their other services or buy any of their products or services. I've been doing that for years - must be a new broom that brought in new regulations. It was the first I had ever heard of the regulation when I got the email that they'd deleted many photos. But then I had not bothered to click on the notice on the site that there were new policies.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:31:47 PM

Neurons: 149,215
I noticed that they had changed policies.

If I search for images and choose one which happens to be posted on photobucket, I can't then just choose 'view image' and see the image - I get a whole photobucket entry, including all the ads and have to 'jump through hoops' to get at the original image so that I can produce a link to it.
It is the same with 'Pinterest' and 'Dropbox' recently - in fact dropbox blocks all searches unless the person owning the 'box' personally creates the link. They deleted every image I had put in my 'public' box in the last five years.

Control Q looks a bit too good to be true, but tests out OK. You don't have an account - you don't log in - so you can't go back and find the same image again and post it somewhere else.
You just upload the image, it gives you a URL to copy and paste.
The picture is actually stored on the imgur server 'cloud' (which has all sorts of other services like Photobucket).

This is a 'random image' I just uploaded.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:51:49 AM

Thanks, Drago. I guess it makes sense to pay for the services you use.

I'll check out your site too.

Edited - here's what Photobucket says: "Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting. The majority of the industry has either eliminated 3rd party hosting or imposed variable pricing based on consumption."

I'd be interested to learn how that costs them money.

I don't suppose TFD would make adjustments to how they operate.

Edited - I checked out their plans - $39.99 a month to post a few pix on TFD. I don't think so.

palapaguy
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 10:48:47 PM

Neurons: 7,196
Hope123 wrote:
Thanks, Drago. I guess it makes sense to pay for the services you use.

I'll check out your site too.

Edited - here's what Photobucket says: "Corpus noted that seventy-five percent of Photobucket’s costs originate from non-paying users leveraging 3rd party hosting. The majority of the industry has either eliminated 3rd party hosting or imposed variable pricing based on consumption."

I'd be interested to learn how that costs them money.

I don't suppose TFD would make adjustments to how they operate.

Edited - I checked out their plans - $39.99 a month to post a few pix on TFD. I don't think so.

Very few things in life are truly free. Sorry. Not talking
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2017 3:05:03 PM

Neurons: 4,334
Hope123 wrote:

No big deal:

://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst170308p3

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 8:03:38 PM

I have noticed that I get very very few Junk mail messages now since I canceled my Photobucket account. I used to get several every day.

And that goes not only for the email address I used for Photobucket but also for another address I have with the same web services provider.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 5:19:58 AM

Neurons: 297,615
Hope,
have a look at 500px.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:26:24 AM

Neurons: 871,344
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 2:14:36 AM

Neurons: 813,102
Dropbox still seems good to store pictures you really want to keep, in case the next image service shuts down. Though, as you mentioned, you can't link to it.

It's a pity Photobucket got so tangled. It was wonderful when I first used it regularly back in 2004. I never had much to share, but I was glad to have a place where my pictures would not get lost. Guess I'll need to find a new one. So I'm glad there's this topic as a reminder, and I hope the pics you deleted (and had deleted) from photobucket are still stored locally.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.