The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

its/the company’s Options
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:28:42 PM

Neurons: 4,614
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct and which one of the two sentences in brackets should come next in the following:
She believes that A Inc. is the ideal place for her to pursue her professional career because of its achievements/advances in pipeline and flowline technology, as exemplified by its/the company’s (development of, do you need?) high-performance Pipe-in-Pipe (PIP) solutions. (She also values the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, since it combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, which would provide her with a skill set which can be employed to achieve professional qualifications.)/(Additionally, the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, which combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, and the solid and comprehensive skill set developed could lead professional qualifications.)
FounDit
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:20:05 PM

Neurons: 43,421
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct and which one of the two sentences in brackets should come next in the following:
She believes that A Inc. is the ideal place for her to pursue her professional career because of its achievements/advances in pipeline and flowline technology, as exemplified by its/the company’s (development of, do you need?) high-performance Pipe-in-Pipe (PIP) solutions.
Which one I choose would depend on a couple of things. Did A Inc. achieve the technology, or did they advance the technology? Or did they achieve an advancement in the technology through the development of high-performance PIP solutions?

(She also values the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, since it combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, which would provide her with a skill set which can be employed to achieve professional qualifications.)/(Additionally, the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, which combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, and the solid and comprehensive skill set developed could lead professional qualifications.)

For the second part, I would say,
"Additionally, the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, which combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, provides solid and comprehensive skills that could lead to professional qualifications."

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:10:27 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
She believes that A Inc. is the ideal place for her to pursue her professional career because of its achievements/advances in pipeline and flowline technology, as exemplified by its/the company’s (development of, do you need?) high-performance Pipe-in-Pipe (PIP) solutions.
Which one I choose would depend on a couple of things. Did A Inc. achieve the technology, or did they advance the technology? Or did they achieve an advancement in the technology through the development of high-performance PIP solutions?

(She also values the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, since it combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, which would provide her with a skill set which can be employed to achieve professional qualifications.)/(Additionally, the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, which combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, and the solid and comprehensive skill set developed could lead professional qualifications.)

"Additionally, the structure of A Inc.'s graduate programme, which combines both training courses and hands-on work opportunities, provides solid and comprehensive skills that could lead to professional qualifications."

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. With regard to the first sentence, they have advanced the technology through the development of high-performance PIP solutions.
I would also like to please ask you if you would merge the following two sentences, which are the beginning of the letter, or make any modifications:
Dear Recruitment Team,
I am interested in applying for the position of Welding & Materials Engineer at A Inc.
I believe that working in the oil and gas industry as a welding and materials engineer would afford me the opportunity to combine my background in materials engineering with my interest in the energy sector.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:30:35 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. With regard to the first sentence, they have advanced the technology through the development of high-performance PIP solutions.
Then I would suggest: "She believes that A Inc. is the ideal place for her to pursue her professional career because of its advancement in pipeline and flowline technology, as exemplified by its development of high-performance Pipe-in-Pipe (PIP) solutions.

I would also like to please ask you if you would merge the following two sentences, which are the beginning of the letter, or make any modifications:
Dear Recruitment Team,
I am interested in applying for the position of Welding & Materials Engineer at A Inc.
I believe that working in the oil and gas industry as a welding and materials engineer would afford me the opportunity to combine my background in materials engineering with my interest in the energy sector.
I wouldn't merge them. It would become a very long sentence. You could replace the second "welding and materials engineer" with "in this position" if it seems too repetitive, but I don't think it's necessary.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:44:45 PM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Then I would suggest: "She believes that A Inc. is the ideal place for her to pursue her professional career because of its advancement in pipeline and flowline technology, as exemplified by its development of high-performance Pipe-in-Pipe (PIP) solutions.

Dear Recruitment Team,
I wouldn't merge them. It would become a very long sentence. You could replace the second "welding and materials engineer" with "in this position" if it seems too repetitive, but I don't think it's necessary.

Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following (or you suggest any modifications to make the sentence clearer):
I have been engaged in defining engineering non-destructive testing procedures employed to detect defects and gauge corrosion resistance of (welds on)/welded pipelines and structures.
Carmenex
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:09:19 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Dear Recruitment Team,

Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. Would you suggest using the singular advancement because it is uncountable, or could the plural form be used?
In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following (or would you suggest any modifications to make the sentence less convoluted):
I have been engaged in defining engineering non-destructive testing procedures employed to detect defects and gauge corrosion resistance of (welds on)/welded pipelines and structures.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:11:53 AM

Carmenex wrote:

Dear Recruitment Team,

Thank you, FounDit, for your advice. Would you suggest using the singular advancement because it is uncountable, or could the plural form be used?
Being unaware of any other advancements, I chose "advancement" since this is the only one mentioned. However, if A Inc., is known for many such advancements, then that word would be fine to use.

In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following (or would you suggest any modifications to make the sentence less convoluted):
I have been engaged in defining engineering non-destructive testing procedures employed to detect defects and gauge corrosion resistance of welds on pipelines and structures.
I was struck by the wording of "engineering non-destructive testing procedures". It seems to me that simply saying "non-destructive testing procedures" would suffice.

Also, I prefer the word "used" rather than "employed", but that's a personal choice. To me, it reads better, but go with what sounds good to you.