The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

grade/score/mark = presentation Options
sb70012
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 12:00:22 PM

Neurons: 4,809
AmE: I got a perfect score on my presentation.
BrE: I got full marks for my presentation.

Hi,
Don't you think that in both of the sentences above we should use "grade" instead of "score/marks"? Because a presentation is not a multiple choice test and it's usually like an essay and needs to go with "grade". Presentation is an event at which you describe or explain a new product or idea and it's not a test to be scored or marked. I can't see how you call presentation a test.

Any guidance?

Thank you.

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:50:28 PM

Neurons: 43,476
When I was in school, presentations were always graded. They still are as far as I know. I can't answer for the British, however.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
sb70012
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:04:55 PM

Neurons: 4,809
Thank you but one American made me confused in WR forum. Look at his response:

"No, I don't think those sentences should be changed to use "grade". Multiple-choice has nothing to do with this.
These presentations are individual tests, so "score/marks" is fine."

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/grade-vs-score.3166465/

Don't you agree with him?

Sorry if I don't thank you more than once. I don't want to bother you by filling up a thread with multiple thank yous.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:29:38 PM

Neurons: 43,476
sb70012 wrote:
Thank you but one American made me confused in WR forum. Look at his response:

"No, I don't think those sentences should be changed to use "grade". Multiple-choice has nothing to do with this.
These presentations are individual tests, so "score/marks" is fine."

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/grade-vs-score.3166465/

Don't you agree with him?

It's possible that in different parts of the US, "score/marks" is used. This is a very large country and there are some slight differences from one area to another. But in my area, "grade" is most often used. In fact, after I posted my last remarks, I recalled my granddaughter telling me about the grade she got on a presentation she recently made.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~