The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Use the jet: use jet Options
Joe Kim
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 1:56:56 PM

Neurons: 1,651
If you look at the garden hose, there are different ways of making different water streams.
You ask another to turn the nozzle to get one function: " use the jet, the mist, and so on"

1. Is saying "use the jet" correct? Or should it be "use jet"?

2. At the beginning of this question, in the first sentence, I said "the garden hose", is this correct? Or should it have been " a garden hose"?

FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:20:36 PM

Neurons: 43,559
Joe Kim wrote:
If you look at the garden hose, there are different ways of making different water streams.
You ask another to turn the nozzle to get one function: " use the jet, the mist, and so on"

1. Is saying "use the jet" correct? Or should it be "use jet"?
You should use, "the jet". This is because each function on the nozzle attached to the end of the hose is a separate function. So it is "the jet", "the mist", etc.

2. At the beginning of this question, in the first sentence, I said "the garden hose", is this correct? Or should it have been " a garden hose"?
Actually, you would be more correct to say, "If you look at a multi-function nozzle on the end of a garden hose...", meaning any garden hose.

This is because the hose itself has only the manufactured opening as a water outlet. It is the nozzle that attaches that can have multiple functions.

But to talk about any hose, you would say, "If you look at a garden hose..."

If you mean a particular hose then you would say, "If you look at the/this/that garden hose..."

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Joe Kim
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 3:07:14 AM

Neurons: 1,651
Thank you.

Then why is it said

1. Always tell the truth

Instead of

2. Always tell truth?

What wouldn't make sense if I say 2?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:11:16 PM

Neurons: 43,559
Joe Kim wrote:
Thank you.

Then why is it said

1. Always tell the truth

Instead of

2. Always tell truth?

What wouldn't make sense if I say 2?

You use "the truth" because there is usually only one truth as you may know it in a given situation, but there can be many lies. The choice is between telling "a" lie, and telling "the" truth.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~