The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

for moving the boxes Options
azz
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:31:39 AM

Neurons: 2,075
Can one say
a. The animal was brought to the temple for killing.
b. The tools were brought to the garage for repairing the truck.
c. The men were brought to the depot for moving the boxes.

Many thanks.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:45:46 AM

Neurons: 144,725
Hello azz.

I don't think anyone could say that your sentences are wrong - but they are not in the most usual form.

I would say:
a1. The animal was brought to the temple to be killed.
b1. The tools were brought to the garage to repair the truck with.
c1. The men were brought to the depot to move the boxes.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:56:06 AM

Neurons: 6,620
"The tools were brought to the garage to repair the truck with."
Is that grammatical?
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:14:12 AM

Neurons: 65,954
DragOsir wrote:

Hello azz.

I don't think anyone could say that your sentences are wrong - but they are not in the most usual form.

I would say:

a1. The animal was brought to the temple to be killed.
b1. The tools were brought to the garage to repair the truck with.
c1. The men were brought to the depot to move the boxes.

Respectfully I slightly differ.

In the first sentence, an animal is brought to the temple preferably for 'sacrifice' not for killing.

The third sentences is in passive voice suggesting that men were fetched to the depot.

My understanding.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:23:20 AM

Neurons: 144,725
I don't see your objection really, Ashwin.

Yes - 'fetched' or 'brought' could be used. They would mean the same. They came to the depot because someone sent for them. They were brought.

When animals are sacrificed, they are killed.
They were brought to the temple to be killed.

Hi palapaguy!
One might, if one were so inclined, make it a little more formal:

"Tools were brought to the garage with which to repair the truck."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:10:24 PM

Neurons: 65,954
References to animal sacrifice appear in the New Testament, such as the parents of Jesus sacrificing two doves (Luke 2:24) and the Apostle Paul performing a Nazirite vow even after the death of Christ (Acts 21:23-26).
Christ is referred to by his apostles as "the Lamb of God", the one to whom all sacrifices pointed (Hebrews 10). According to the penal substitution theory of atonement, Christ's crucifixion is comparable to animal sacrifice on a large scale as his death serves as a substitutionary punishment for all of humanity's sins.
Some villages in Greece sacrifice animals to Orthodox saints in a practice known as kourbania. Sacrifice of a lamb, or less commonly a rooster, is a common practice in Armenian Church and Tewahedo Church. This tradition, called matagh, is believed to stem from pre-Christian pagan rituals. Additionally, some Mayans following a form of Folk Catholicism in Mexico today still sacrifice animals in conjunction with church practices, a ritual practiced in past religions before the arrival of the Spaniards.

The Eid al-Adha is major annual festival of animal sacrifice in Islam. In Indonesia alone, for example, some 800,000 animals were sacrificed in 2014 by its Muslims on the festival, but the number can be a bit lower or higher depending on the economic conditions.[29] According to Lesley Hazleton, in Turkey about 2,500,000 sheep, cows and goats are sacrificed each year to observe the Islamic festival of animal sacrifice, with a part of the sacrificed animal given to the needy who didn't sacrifice an animal.[30] According to The Independent, nearly 10,000,000 animals are sacrificed in Pakistan every year on Eid.[31][32] Countries such as Saudi Arabia transport nearly a million animals every year for sacrifice to Mina (near Mecca). The sacrificed animals at Id al-Adha, states Clarke Brooke, include the four species considered lawful for the Hajj sacrifice: sheep, goats, camels and cattle, and additionally, cow-like animals initialing the water buffalo, domesticated banteng and yaks. Many are brought in from north Africa and parts of Asia.[33]
Other occasions when Muslims perform animal sacrifice include the 'aqiqa, when a child is seven days old, is shaved and given a name. It is believed that the animal sacrifice binds the child to Islam and offers protection to the child from evil.[27]
“Sacrifice causes immense pain and suffering to the innocent animals. The innocent animals cannot be permitted to be sacrificed to appease the god/deity in a barbaric manner. Compassion is the basic tenet in all religions. The practice of animal sacr...

Read more at: http://www.livelaw.in/refusing-to-ban-killing-of-animals-for-religious-purposes-sc-says-cannot-interfere-with-centuries-old-traditions/

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:54:45 PM

Neurons: 140,283
And then there is the issue of "brought" vs "taken". I think you probably want to use "taken".
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:54:46 PM

Neurons: 140,283
And then there is the issue of "brought" vs "taken". I think you probably want to use "taken".
TMe
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 10:53:28 AM

Neurons: 3,004
Call a spade, a spade please.

Shed arrogance.

I am a layman.