The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sprinkler Options
Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:38:51 PM

Neurons: 3,997
Do native speakers say 'the building is sprinklered' to refer to a building with a sprinkler system?

The word 'sprinklered' is not recognized by TFD and Microsoft Word. In my line of work, I have to know if a sprinkler system is provided in a building to calculate the escape distance to exit doors. We usually say "Is it sprinklered?". I wonder what native speakers say.

There is the word 'sprinkled' but I feel it has a different meaning when I say 'is it sprinkled?'. I feel like I'm not asking whether a building is equipped with a sprinkler system, I feel like I'm buying donuts.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:09:41 AM

Neurons: 64,429
I draw your attention to the minutes of Planning Commission meeting held in PA in 2012. The ‘sprinklered’ has been used.

-
PLANNING COMMISSION
Hanover Township Northampton County
3630 JACKSONVILLE ROAD
BETHLEHEM, PA 18017
Minutes of the September 10, 2012 Meeting

………
Street Loading ... Performance Standards ... any outdoor equipment must be addressed.
PennDot must review and approve the number, design and location of access points. Developer
has been in discussion with PennDot relative to ADA ramp location. PennDot does not favor
relocation. Documentation should be provided.
Plan shows a widening a
long Jacksonvile Road to the north. Grade is very flat. Existing grade
is being matched. Waiver is requested to enable developer to comply with existing conditions.
Deferral is requested from providing sidewalks along Jacksonville Road.
Existing street lights should be identified. Internal lighting will be provided. Township Manager will make determination as to whether additional lights may be required.
Stormwater Management Facility located in the front yard is within the building setback. It is an underground collection system. They will capture and reuse the water. Waiver is requested from the 2% minimum slope requirement.
Turning Templates must be provided.
Approval is needed from the Fire Marshal. Area was widened adjacent to the designated handicapped spaces. Building will be splinkered.

But the word is not found in dictionary.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:59:21 AM

Neurons: 104,088
Hi Priscilla86,

I've never heard nor seen the word sprinklered. Maybe it's more appropriate to use the term "sprinkler system", like in "A sprinkler system will be installed in the building" or "There are sprinkler systems on every floor" or ...

sprinkled is the past tense of the verb to sprinkle, which (as you guessed correctly) has a different meaning: If the building is sprinkled, the sprinkler systems were already activated & everything is wet.

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:04:59 AM

Neurons: 139,838
I think it's fine.

In normal conversation, as Kunstniete says, 'has a sprinkler system' might be used instead, but as part of building/construction nomenclature, "sprinklered" sounds good.

It's funny that 'sprinkler' automatically brings to mind fire-protection systems, but 'sprinkles' automatically gives the idea of kiddies' parties . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:03:33 AM

Neurons: 64,429
Sprinkle also water the mouth as if I am sprinkling salt on chicken or salad.

OR

https://youtu.be/he1faYS50v4

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:37:52 PM

Neurons: 52,132
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Sprinkle also water the mouth

That means nothing to me.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:20:52 PM

Neurons: 37,022
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sprinklered

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can.
palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:00:42 PM

Neurons: 6,094
Priscilla86 wrote:
Do native speakers say 'the building is sprinklered' to refer to a building with a sprinkler system?

The word 'sprinklered' is not recognized by TFD and Microsoft Word. In my line of work, I have to know if a sprinkler system is provided in a building to calculate the escape distance to exit doors. We usually say "Is it sprinklered?". I wonder what native speakers say.

There is the word 'sprinkled' but I feel it has a different meaning when I say 'is it sprinkled?'. I feel like I'm not asking whether a building is equipped with a sprinkler system, I feel like I'm buying donuts.

"Sprinklered" in the context you mentioned is a common and well-understood word in AE. It means that the building contains a sprinkler system.

Don't worry about the spell checkers like Word. I find them to be pretty limited. Their advantage is that they can be taught. Drool