The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is religion the opium of the people? Options
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:50:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/13/2015
Posts: 1,180
Neurons: 373,627
Location: Dzerzhinskiy, Moskovskaya, Russia
leonAzul wrote:
Are you sure you are not a red neck?

No. :) I've never been to the US.

Quote:
Yet that is really besides the point of this topic, which is: What did Marx mean by "[religion] is the opium of the people", and does it make sense?

Yes we digressed a bit. As of your question:

Hope123 wrote:
If you look at the whole context in Marx’s critique of Hegel, used figuratively an opiate means something that calms or soothes.

I think exactly like Hope123 does. Furthermore I do not consider my atheism any less opiate.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
will
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:31:52 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,067
Neurons: 4,295
Looks like you need to clear up exactly who is the redneck, leonAzul.

I'm certain it's not me. I spend way too much time indoors. Shhh


.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:46:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,295
Neurons: 42,117
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
Furthermore I do not consider my atheism any less opiate.


A general statement - It might be nice now and again but I learned long ago I can and must solve my problems without any kind of opiate. Dependence upon any kind of opiate only takes away drive, desire, ability, and competence to find your own solutions. That's part of today's problem - people not being responsible for themselves, whether it be getting an education and a good job, getting reeducated when your job is given to technology, being responsible for your own health (not healthcare), not drinking or "weeding" and driving, not taking drugs including cigarettes, not eating too much or eating a lot of "crap", not sitting in the sun for lengthy periods, and so forth. Nobody else can look after you like you can.

Of course, it's easier to blame the government or God or another culture, or gender, or religion etc. when something goes wrong. Then you don't have to try to do anything about it.

Maybe that is part of what he meant by opiate of the people. Get them to just blame God for unfavorable conditions.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:41:32 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/13/2015
Posts: 1,180
Neurons: 373,627
Location: Dzerzhinskiy, Moskovskaya, Russia
Hope123 wrote:
Of course, it's easier to blame the government or God or another culture, or gender, or religion etc. when something goes wrong. Then you don't have to try to do anything about it.

Maybe that is part of what he meant by opiate of the people. Get them to just blame God for unfavorable conditions.

Let us look from a different perspective. There's nobody to drown us in another Deluge. There's nobody to treat us as puppets like He did to Abraham when commanded him to sacrifice his own child. There's nobody to say "Did I say I would give you this land? I lied!". Whenever you find yourself in a tight corner you know it is not a retribution for any kind of your misdeed not a joke by the Almighty - it's just another slough you have to extricate yourself from. Isn't this soothing?

Probably you have never got into something like that but believe me sometimes it's so weird that you are on the brink of believing it's Someone.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 1:40:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,295
Neurons: 42,117
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Of course, it's easier to blame the government or God or another culture, or gender, or religion etc. when something goes wrong. Then you don't have to try to do anything about it.

Maybe that is part of what he meant by opiate of the people. Get them to just blame God for unfavorable conditions.

Let us look from a different perspective. There's nobody to drown us in another Deluge. There's nobody to treat us as puppets like He did to Abraham when commanded him to sacrifice his own child. There's nobody to say "Did I say I would give you this land? I lied!". Whenever you find yourself in a tight corner you know it is not a retribution for any kind of your misdeed not a joke by the Almighty - it's just another slough you have to extricate yourself from. Isn't this soothing?

Probably you have never got into something like that but believe me sometimes it's so weird that you are on the brink of believing it's Someone.


I suppose you might think of not having a headache as being soothing. Whistle

Even as a kid being brainwashed, I never did believe that punishment came from anywhere except my Dad. And he never did much of that - I guess I just never got caught. Whistle

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:43:13 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,030
Neurons: 4,653
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan


This is good old "Hillbillies".



Beverly Hillbillies




*********




This is "Redneck".



Deliverance






almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:18:55 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,030
Neurons: 4,653
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan


I just kind of responded to leonAzul in a jokingly stereotypical way.

No offense at all.



Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.