The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Cancer Death Risk Greater for Men Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Cancer Death Risk Greater for Men

US researchers say men diagnosed with cancer are more likely to die from the disease than women. They attribute the discrepancy in part to the fact that men are at greater risk of developing cancer than women, perhaps as a result of differences in exposure to carcinogens or hormonal or metabolic differences. According to the American Cancer Society, men have about a 1 in 2 chance of developing cancer, while women have just a 1 in 3 chance. In addition, men are more likely than women to have advanced disease by the time their cancer is detected. More...
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:12:34 AM

Neurons: 15,842
My late husband did not go to the doctor with his symptoms until it was too late. :(

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

thar
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:41:28 AM

Neurons: 83,484
Sorry to hear that, Christine.

But, statistics can do not always tell the whole story. A lot of men have prostate cancer diagnosed late in life and die from other causes. So it is not always a simple statstic of how many people get cancer.

[In gross generalisation] - men need to be willing to go to the doctor earlier
women need their symptoms to be taken more seriously by doctors, not fobbed off with anti-depressants or as hypochondriacs.
Maybe eventually we will get a midpoint where everyone gets the healthcare they need.
DarkMoon
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:13:21 AM

Neurons: 46,684
In June last year my Daddy had a surgery in order to help him to recover from prostate cancer. Luckily, the cancerous growth was discovered early enough to be removed during a surgery. Later, there were radiotherapy, medicines, and constant, regular visits in his oncologist's office. Thankfully, last results of my father's medical tests are promising and show a minor, scarce level of cancerous cells :), but my father is still under permanent control of a doctor.

The whole family was devastated, when we found out about my father's disease, we hoped everything would be fine. We feared the worst, the more that my father's three brothers died with different kinds of cancer. The fourth brother suffered from the same type of cancer like my father a few years ago. Luckily, he also managed to defeat the beast, though he still remains under his doctor's control. My father's two sisters are completely healthy, and luckily don't have any health problems.

I agree with thar that statistics do not always say everything. The main point is to go the doctors early enough to prevent any disease to spread, visit the doctors systematically, and regularly check our health condition. Despite numerous actions and campaigns about how to take care of our health, many people don't do that. When talking about going to the doctors, in many cases, I'm afraid including my own one, the reality is the saying: easier said that done.