The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Enjoy Your Freedom & God Bless Our Troops Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 1:09:29 PM

Neurons: 390,855
Enjoy Your Freedom & God Bless Our Troops

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC,
FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

God Bless our Military who are protecting our Country for our Freedom. Thanks to them, and their sacrifices, we can celebrate the 4th of July. We must never forget who gets the credit for the freedoms we have, of which we should be eternally grateful.

"I watched the flag pass by one day. It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it, and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform; so young, so tall, so proud.
With hair cut square and eyes alert, he'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil; how many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
NO, FREEDOM ISN’T FREE!

I heard the sound of Taps one night, when everything was still.
I listened to the bugler play and felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times that Taps had meant 'Amen.'
When a flag had draped a coffin of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children, of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands with interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard at the bottom of the sea.
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
NO FREEDOM ISN'T FREE"

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our servicemen.
Of all the gifts you could give a U.S. Soldier, prayer is the very best one. God Bless all!

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 5:57:57 PM

Neurons: 121,439
Thank you.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 10:05:47 PM

Neurons: 3,032

¡Muchas gracias!

hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 10:21:03 PM

Wilmar (USA) wrote: Thank you
almo 1 wrote: ¡Muchas Gracias!

It feels great seeing both of your responses in my two favorite languages!!
Be blessed,
hedy

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 12:14:04 AM

Neurons: 617,064
Let's all enjoy our freedom by doing something we always meant to but never did. Maybe subscribing to local journalism that needs it, or reading a book we always meant to (especially one unjustly put on a banned list,) or speaking out against or for things in order to make the country a better place. Freedom of speech and thought and action are what makes a country worth defending!

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 2:19:25 AM

Neurons: 324,639
Thank you for posting this, Hedy. We too often forget the cost of freedom and ignore the evil that would take it from us. God Bless the United States of America.

A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 4:39:59 AM

Neurons: 265,027

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 9:49:51 AM

Neurons: 65,457
hedy, hats off to you

Happy Independence Day my American friends.

I salute the defenders of one's country.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
will
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 5:29:56 PM

Neurons: 4,149
Although the United States makes up just 5% of the world’s population, it accounts for around 25% percent of the entire global prisoner population. That’s over 2 million adults, which is about 1 in 110 of the U.S. resident population. On top of that there are almost 5 million more U.S. citizens on probation or parole, which adds up to almost 3% of adults (1 in 35) of the U.S. resident population under some form of correctional supervision.

Per 100,000 divided by race and gender, there are 3,023 black males, 478 white males, 129 black females and 51 white females.

One in nine people in prison are serving a life sentence. According to 2009 figures, 2,500 prisoners were serving life without parole for crimes committed before the age of 18.

A third of those serving life sentences have been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

For federal offences America has a criminal age of responsibility of just 11 years old. At state level, where the overwhelming share of crimes are policed, 35 out of the 50 states have no minimum age of responsibility, putting them alongside Cuba, Malaysia (exclusively for terrorism) and Sudan (for drug offences).

Just saying. Shhh

TMe
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 12:03:00 AM

Neurons: 2,603
I fail to understand what point Will is trying bring home to?

What relevance it has to the Independence day?

I am a layman.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 2:30:59 AM

Neurons: 360,033
I think he might be making a point on freedom in America
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 4:11:51 AM

I am a layman.
will
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 12:26:58 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:
I think he might be making a point on freedom in America

Indeed. For a nation apparently so divinely blessed, the USA certainly does fall short of many social standards that we in other developed countries quietly take for granted. Prison rates seemed the obvious choice to examine – and the details are even more alarming – but America also falls well short of other free nations on poverty levels, food insecurity, income inequality, access to healthcare, suicide rates, homelessness (particularly veterans), hours worked, access to maternity and holiday leave (or rather lack of), drug use, maternal mortal rates (statistically on a par with Saudi Arabia), sheer number of laws (more than any nation), democracy index…

Not a standard I’d crow about, and certainly not a standard worth exporting around the globe through military might.

Again, just saying. Whistle

TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:01:51 PM

Will Sir, this is not a political forum neither this is right time to critcise failures of your country. You will get many opportunities for such grumble, moan and gripe.

Presently, Wish for greater achievements, luck, respect and regard.

I am a layman.
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:12:26 PM

Neurons: 52,220
TMe wrote:
Sir, this is not a political forum

... but the original post is implicitly political.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:19:58 PM

tunaafi wrote:
TMe wrote:

(Note: the original poster left the Politics forum.)

I think we could spin this back to knowledge and culture...has it been mentioned that the Pledge of Allegiance didn't contain "under God" until the 1950s and the red-baiting McCarthyism era?

People often have a skewed view of freedom, and in America I think we don't understand it fully.

Freedom has been spun as "Okay, you're on your own." And more freedom = throwing more people out on their own. I think we as Americans can do better. I'm glad we have the freedom to want and demand better.

I'm glad to live in the USA, and I'm one of the relatively fortunate people there. But I think Americans assume it's an either/or about being proud to live in the USA and saying, you know, I wish we could do better. Just because we're very glad to live where we do doesn't mean we can't borrow from countries' ideas to make it even better. In fact, I think we have been stubborn and foolish not doing so.

TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 1:29:53 PM

I am sorry to point out that original post by hedy is least political.
Its nationalistic.Not talking

I am a layman.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:34:14 PM

TMe wrote:
I am sorry to point out that original post by hedy is least political.
Its nationalistic.Not talking

Well, there is patriotic, and there is nationalistic, and I suppose we could debate the difference between the two in another thread especially in this subforum.

Many of us find July 4th is about more than the military and our own religion. As we should, we have other holidays fully dedicated to the troops. Troops deserve top billing in the various July 4th parades, and then some. But to me, July 4th has always also been about the people with the idea to make a country like the USA, and whether or not we are best by some metric, we always will have been first at such a brave experiment.

And since we are on the subject of knowledge and culture, well... more than one perspective is not the worst thing.

will
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 5:26:41 PM

tunaafi wrote:
TMe wrote:

Or it wouldn’t have been out of place in the Religion section.

I don’t think my posts were especially political anyway. The situations I mentioned have been allowed to happen, to varying degrees, under both Democrat and Republican administrations. I think the issue is a cultural one.

The hubristic notion that US troops, overseen by God Himself, are protecting the exemplar of freedom and democracy from nefarious evil-doers hell bent on America’s downfall, seems to be ingrained into the culture of a significant proportion of the population.

I know this hubris is not representative of the whole nation, I’m simply stating it as I and many non-Americans currently see things from our home nations.

Andrew Schultz
paints a picture of Americans that I recognize from my time there and just about every American I have met since. Perhaps we are getting a distorted view in this current climate, but data seems to back me up when I suggest that such excessive flag waving pride may be unwarranted.

tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 5:55:03 PM

Neurons: 52,220
Andrew Schultz wrote:
we always will have been first at such a brave experiment.

If you are talking about getting rid of of an autocratic monarchy and replacing it with a democratic republic, I think the Romans did that in about 510 BCE.

The Athenians threw out a tyrant and set up a republic at about the same time
You know who I am
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2017 11:12:21 PM

Neurons: 4,687
Thanks Hedy, for this awesome article; I wish my vocabulary were bigger so I could understand all words from text lol.

Now, we can say that we are free to make our choices; many people fought hard for this achievement, we shall not waste it discussing non-senses.
Yet, the best freedom we can have is in Jesus Christ; for in Him, we have the real freedom - John 8:32 - Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

My honest and simple regards and acknowledges to the people who bravely fought for it! You deserve it.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 12:27:03 AM

You know who I am wrote:
"...the best freedom we can have is in Jesus Christ, for in Him we have real freedom".

You know who I am, thank you for your post, my thoughts exactly...

Thank you Wilmar (USA), almo 1, Andrew Schultz, jacobusmaximus, Jyrkkä Jätkä (awesome picture), and Ashwin Joshi...for all your responses.

And I will end this thread with this thought:
So, what is “real/true” freedom?
Political, religious and verbal freedom, all are significantly good and should be advocated and protected, but they are peripheral freedoms in comparison to true freedom. True freedom occurs only in the heart when it is changed and made new.

Our forefathers desired that we should have freedom of, not freedom from religion: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 33:12). If we push God aside, may God have mercy upon us.

hedy