The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Antonym of 'religious'. Options
TMe
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:24:05 PM

Neurons: 3,094
What is the antonym (one word) of religious?

2) Who is a fanatic?

I am a layman.
Absinthius
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:42:51 PM

Neurons: 20,027
TMe wrote:
What is the antonym (one word) of religious?

Rational.

2) Who is a fanatic?

Anyone who thinks others have to adhere to their beliefs. Especially if they use force, indoctrination or fear to make it so.

Though there is of course no one true answer to these questions.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 4:31:30 AM

Neurons: 57,149
I'm not sure there is a direct antonym, areligious seems to be the closest.
TFD redirects to irreligious when attempting to look it up there; however Websters has the definition as, "Not influenced by or practicing religion."

I did some checking and it seems I was right there is no direct antonym. Websters thesaurus lists some word as near antonyms, and the site claiming to be Roget's thesaurus lists none.

Areligious means only, without regard to religion. Irreligion means hostility or indifference to religion. Atheism and agnosticism, refer specifically to belief in a god(s). Secularism can be used with reference to activities performed by a religion that have no relation to that religion. So it seems there is no direct antonym.

A fanatic is anyone who allows their beliefs to lead them into irrational behavior. I believe there is a fine, nearly indistinguishable line between fanaticism and mental illness. Not all fanatics are definable as mentally ill, but the extremes to which one must go to be called a fanatic, it seems to me are always irrational, even if the only basis for evaluating the extremism is the belief system they are operating from. It should be noted that a large majority of politically active Christians in this country qualify as fanatics under this definition.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 4:58:12 AM

Neurons: 57,149
Absinthius wrote:
[quote=TMe]What is the antonym (one word) of religious?
Rational.

Hi Abs, I don't think this really works, I also think it is unnecessarily inflammative. I do agree that belief in any of the gods of human description is irrational, and in fact with Yahweh it is specifically said that one can not come to know Him by reason. However, it seems to me that once the concept of Yahweh as described in the Bible is accepted then the practice of apostolic Christianity is entirely rational. The distinction may be subtle but I do believe it exists. The religion is irrational as it is based on an unreasoned premise; however, the tenets of its practice are very well reasoned, I would offer as evidence of that, the Pauline epistles.

The other objection I would have to using rational as an antonym for religion, is that although I haven't really come to a conclusion on this yet, it seems finding some sort of rational religion may be the only hope of stemming the tide of the various theist agendas currently impeding the development of the species, and outright threatening its survival.

Absinthius wrote:
Though there is of course no one true answer to these questions.

Ahh, my least favorite four letter word. I think the biggest mistake in the English language is making truth a noun. As an adverb I think it works okay, as in he speaks truly, meaning only that what he is speaking is what he feels he knows to be correct. But as far as I'm concerned truth as some sort of absolute is a dangerous, delusional word. ;) Sorry for nitpicking Abs, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it that way, but I think the word is used far too much when it appears the default definition in most peoples head is the dangerous one.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?