The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Perspective Options
Aventador LP700-4
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:06:34 PM

Neurons: 4,372
What does it mean " depending on your perspective " in this context?

Mud tires also tend to wear quicker than an all terrain or a street tire and depending on your perspective, the on-highway noise level can be considerably higher especially after they wear down with highway use.

Source:
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/tire-terminology-information-about-tires/#Bias_Ply_Definition

The article wants to say that Mud tires have more noise on the highway. Noise is an objective measurement, it is not subjective.

Perspective means point of view. So, detecting which tire makes more noise have nothing to do with a person's point of view! It just needs a decibel-meter! No one can say this tire is louder in my point of view if it is actually quieter!

It is confusing!
FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:59:20 AM

Neurons: 43,369
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
What does it mean " depending on your perspective " in this context?

Mud tires also tend to wear quicker than an all terrain or a street tire and depending on your perspective, the on-highway noise level can be considerably higher especially after they wear down with highway use.

Source:
http://www.offroaders.com/technical/tire-terminology-information-about-tires/#Bias_Ply_Definition

The article wants to say that Mud tires have more noise on the highway. Noise is an objective measurement, it is not subjective.

Perspective means point of view. So, detecting which tire makes more noise have nothing to do with a person's point of view! It just needs a decibel-meter! No one can say this tire is louder in my point of view if it is actually quieter!

It is confusing!

Ah, but one person's noise is another person's music. I recently had this discussion with my youngest son who wants to put some of those tires on his truck. When I mentioned that the road noise would be annoying, he said that he didn't find it annoying at all, and besides that, there were different kinds of treads — some that weren't too noisy at all (according to him).

So while a decibel meter can measure the amplitude of a sound, whether or not that sound is noise is a matter or perspective...Brick wall

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Donthailand
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:26:39 AM

Neurons: 281,728
I agree with FounDit. "Noise" is absolutely subjective. Noise to one, could be Music to another...
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 9:50:13 AM

Neurons: 446,353
Another thing is certainly whether you hear the noise from within the vehicle or you are standing at the roadside and that car passes you by.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Aventador LP700-4
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 10:05:38 AM

Neurons: 4,372
Does perspective here refers to sound sensitivity?