The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Suggest me a good vocabulary for my kids! Options
FardinGomz
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:59:23 PM

Neurons: 25
Hello all,

I am newbie here. I hope someone will help me here. I am looking for a vocabulary books for my 2 kids. They are 9 and 11 years old. They much more interested to learn English and of course Vocabulary. So looking for a decent English books for them. But I am not quite sure which will be better. Though I got a book from Amazon. it's paid vocabulary books and neatly written for 11 years old kids. I have seen the book reviews. It start with only $14.95. The link is here https://www.amazon.co.uk/11-Vocabulary-Cartoons-Mason/dp/1539364119

Please let me know your feedback. Thanks!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:59:10 PM

Neurons: 144,725
The idea looks fine - using exaggerated cartoon pictures to illustrate the new words.

However, two hundred new words is not a lot - and that includes such words as 'besieged', which is not exactly a common word (unless your children are interested in the history of warfare).

Normal "children's" and "young adults'" novels (whatever they enjoy reading) and good school-level dictionary (any of the 'well known' ones: Oxford, Cambridge, Collins for British English; Webster's for American) would probably increase their vocabularies more quickly.

Personally, I particularly like a Collins COBUILD usage dictionary (which does not give detailed definitions, but does have many examples) and an Intermediate Oxford (which has good definitions).

There is something wrong with the pricing on that link.
Used, second hand, books from £14.95 - but new books at £11.65?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 9:52:39 AM

Neurons: 467,697
Drag0n, you DO realise this is spam, don't you?

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:05:44 AM

Neurons: 144,725
That was my first thought, then I saw FardinGomz had three other posts - not very inspired, but not spam.

I decided to give the benefit of the doubt. The link was only to Amazon, so not dangerous.

Anyway - all he got from me was a bad review for the book . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!