The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

This Day in History Options
Bedells
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:18:28 AM

Neurons: 526,792
I read that today in June 28 1846, Antoine-Joseph "Adolphe" Sax patented the Saxophone; which I considered it's one of the instruments that best transmits romanticism.

I think this is a fact worth sharing.
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:05:53 AM

Neurons: 502,966
I agree 100% ...and it's one of my favorite instruments!
Thank you Bedells,

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:49:33 AM

Neurons: 4,655
Ahahhhahaha; Not disagreeing. My choice

Harmonica.

In solitude,in an echoing room, with lights dimmed, absolute silence,eyes closed with someone(dont ask who) when I played , 'someone' felt like at Cloud 9 of heaven.

I am a layman.
taurine
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:47:26 PM

Neurons: 67,785
My house mate plays on saxophone. From my personal experience I may say that it is an interesting instrument, although I used to think that Afro-Americans are the only once who can play it.

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
hedy mmm
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:29:25 PM

TMe wrote:
Harmonica.
In solitude,in an echoing room, with lights dimmed, absolute silence,eyes closed with someone(dont ask who) when I played , 'someone' felt like at Cloud 9 of heaven.

TMe I think you're right! To me the thought and sound of a harmonica invokes a heavenly soft melody, and yes, in solitude or with someone very special.

My dad was a harmonica aficionado...he had quite a collection from all parts of the world, for he had been a Merchant Marine for almost 20 years. He had a very small genuine harmonica (about 1" in width) and he had all sizes in between, including one that had four sides, whose sounds were in different keys, and he had one that had a 'knob' for lack of a better word, that when he pressed it in, the octave would go from sharp to flat...he spared no expense!

I would sit by him, just me, in absolute silence, eyes closed while he played. Sadly, after he transitioned in 1980 of cancer, my mom gave all but one to my brother...I have the one.

Thanks for the memory and I guess it will always be, by far my very bittersweet memory of the times I spent with my dad, whom I adored.....
hedy

TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:23:38 PM

Neurons: 5,526
The saxophone produces a sexy sound, but the harmonica is my choice of instrument to learn to play, primarily due to the fact that it can be carried in a pocket. I have been playing them since the 1960s. Charlie McCoy, Charlie Musslewhite, Mickey Rafael, Magic Dick (Richard Salwitz of J.Geils fame), Bob Dylan, Toots Theilemans, Jerry Portnoy, and others are my favorites that I have tried to emulate. Blues, folk, jazz, rock n roll, and country are good genres for the harmonica.

Check out Jim "Turbodog" Antaki's website http://www.turboharp.com/ for the most innovative development of the instrument since Hohner invented the Marine Band diatonic harp. I have one of his earliest electronic harmonicas, the Turbo ELX, that uses a LED pickup, versus an acoustic pickup, to translate reed movement to sound. There is no feedback or hand noise from it. It's awesome and allows the harp player to compete with the lead guitarist.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:38:10 PM

Neurons: 5,715

Sadao Watanabe is the most famous alto saxophone player in Japan.

The Great Jazz Trio by Hank Jones - Tokyo Jazz 2006

Hank Jones - piano
John Patitucci - bass
Omar Hakim - drums
Special Guest:
Sadao Watanabe - sax

hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:32:06 PM

TL Hobs wrote:
,,,Check out Jim "Turbodog" Antaki's website http://www.turboharp.com/ for the most innovative development of the instrument since Hohner invented the Marine Band diatonic harp...

Awesome website, thank you TL Hobs! I watched all of the videos attached to the website too....guess my dad was ahead of his time with the harmonica that I so poorly described as having a knob!

I am going to check out almo 1's best alto-sax player in Japan, Sadao Wantanabe!
in my church we have sax, piano, violin, flute, keyboard, guitars and drums...music is out of this world.

You guys have made my day...thanks again, hedy

TMe
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:25:23 AM

http://https://youtu.be/S-p5NMQLb9I

I am a layman.
TMe
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:29:58 AM