The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

New technologies, old words Options
thar
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:15:39 AM

Neurons: 63,611
I have been seeing a story on the news, about a big new Royal Navy ship starting sea trials. Not that interested, except that the news items always use the term 'sets sail'.

It makes me think of the sailors on this massive aircraft carrier going out onto that massive deck and setting those sails. Whistle

And I always find it funny that the icon on my small, flat smartphone for making a phone call is the technology it replaced - and so is the language. I know some people say 'disconnect' but it is still understood that you 'hang up' when you stop a call - presumably that is from someone literally hanging the receiver back on the wall bracket?

It just got me wondering - how many things do we say throughout the day that would make no sense to someone who didn't know the history of the technology? Think

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:30:08 AM

Neurons: 297,615
You certainly can't eat those cookies used in this site ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:11:49 AM

Neurons: 2,470,198
All the idiom makes no sense to a beginner on the English-learning journey. Some other stuff doesn't make any sense at all to anyone, like why one drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway.