The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Imagine "A World Without Canada" Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:46:35 PM

Neurons: 37,949
As Canada celebrates 150 years since the birth of our young nation, there are several TV shows and videos to explain to our young and to the world a bit of our history and what we stand for. That anniversary comes up this Saturday, July 1st, 2017. Big bashes are organized all over the country. We have a huge land mass of natural resources but are only a small country of almost 37 M people - a people who don’t usually wave our own flag, but most of us are doing it now, and proudly.

But - Imagine for a minute that Canada had never existed. There is ocean along the 50th parallel instead.

"A World Without Canada" is a three part TV series of an hour each. They list how the world would be much less evolved without Canada's innovations and contributions. I was amazed at the length of the list and how much poorer the world would be in many ways.

Canada has many flaws, but our greatness is the in the sum of all our accomplishments as we tried and still try to create a generous, inclusive country. Our history goes from a colony to a democracy that is respected around the world. And it is the people who make our country so great!

(I was taking notes from the TV programs so please allow me some leeway with organization and point form. With the length of the list, I needed to split the info up into several posts.)

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:51:10 PM

- Medical list - Banting, Best, Macleod, and Collip worked on previous discoveries to make insulin as a treatment for diabetes; Canadians started the beginnings of other hormone replacements - for example JFK's Addison's Disease (and we might never have gone to the moon without JFK); cutting edge cancer treatments and discoveries; invented the pacemaker; cutting edge open heart surgery, radiation therapy; CDN materials and techniques invented and used against cancer; epilepsy treatments and brain mapping; in infectious diseases Canadian researchers decoded SARS; they came up with ebola treatments; the head of WHO from 1948-1953 was CDN Dr. Chisholm and he was one of brightest and best medical minds
- Chemical engineering in Canada is greater than the sum of its parts and it impacts the entire world
- Quantum computers are made by D-Wave Systems in Burnaby, British Columbia. It is the first and maybe only commercial company shipping them. They sell to Google and NASA.
- LSST telescope - Omega Canada has a starring role in the production of the mirror.
- CCD chip - digitize - light into electrical signal - father of digital eye - kicked off digital age and photography, security in CCTV cameras,
- explosive vapor detector - technology for airports
- Invariable hitch propeller for small aircraft and ships
- The electric light bulb was created by Woodward and Evans in 1873 but they couldn’t get financial backing so sold the patent to Edison for $5000; Edison's father was from Nova Scotia, another connection
- Fathometer for sonar
- Radioactivity - Candu Nuclear Reactor for energy, Cobalt 60 for cancer treatment
- Alkaline batteries, lithium batteries
- Jolly Jumper for babies from Ojibway method of carrying babies
- Child nutrition was improved with the invention of Pablum at Sick Kids - nutritional deficiencies went from 62 to 17% and sales created funds for this leading pediatric hospital

- Communications - RIM of Waterloo, Ontario, created the Blackberry which was the beginning of the Smart Phone, Alexander G Bell invented the phone, phonograph, hydrofoil, the basis for fibre optic technology, Reginald A. Fessenden was first person to transmit voice over radio waves and all kinds of things came from radio
- first N. American Beatles fan club
- two Canadians invented the walkie-talkie
- Velcro
- Movie stars and entertainers - long list - Captain Kirk (Shatner), Drake, Leonard Cohen, Nathan Fillion in Disney’s “Cars”, Michael J. Fox, etc.
- Kerosene invented by Guessner who sold it to Rockefeller
- Many natural resources drive the industries of the world
- Global mining - world expertise is located in Canada, 62 types of metals are used in a smart phone - high tech production would be halted without them with price increases and black markets for computers; uranium, gold, nickel and so forth are found in Canada
- Atomic age began when they found uranium in Canada - bombs stopped the war
- 9 % of trees, freshwater 20% of world, miles of shoreline, 30% of boreal forests,
- Canada has fed millions around the world with fish, pork, dairy, lentils and pulses, canola oil, we are in top 4 wheat exporters, potatoes, maple syrup, mustard seed, Macintosh Apples are where the name for the iconic Apple brand company came from, potash is potassium for fertilizer and without that crops would fail and there would be even more starvation,

- 5th largest producer of natural gas for electricity generation; 15 million homes wouldn’t be able to heat their homes in the US
- Thomas Hunt invented green ink that can't be copied. That is why counterfeiters are unsuccessful at reproducing United States Greenback currency.
- Canada makes coins for 75 countries
- 5 billion dollars of gold pulled from Canadian mines
- Greenpeace started in Canada
- David Suzuki has set up a corporation to be defender of the planet
- Canada is an example for the rest of the world in war and peace; Lester B. Pearson, a Prime Minister, kept nuclear off the table
- Americans got to moon with Canada's help
- Naismith added chlorine to sanitize water, he told soldiers to urinate on temporary gas masks to stop chlorine gas in war, before they made a permanent one, and saved many lives
- “In Flanders Fields” poem was written by Canadian McCrae
- Canadians were given hardest missions in war; helped Britain as a colony in first war, and as an ally in WWII

- supplies to Britain maintained by Canada during WW11, without that a weakened Britain would have fallen.
- aviation bases for the Commonwealth
- Lester B. Pearson stopped the Suez Canal Crisis with his idea of Peacekeeping and got the Nobel Prize for peace (he also brought our own flag in 1965)
- 22 Nobel Prize winners are from Canada
- Mark Garneau and Chris Hadfield manned the international space station
- humanitarian efforts and human rights, take in refugees, Canada's Constitution gave examples for other countries, peacekeeping
- Superman was invented by Schuster, along with an American
- arts and political stages have inspired others
- space race - landing gear, reentry help, Canadarm two, satellites and robots, helped NASA
- images of planet, CFCs reduced because we found out they were ruining the world through space satellites, scientific research
- any they or I missed

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:59:40 PM

- Or imagine instead what would happen if Canada suddenly collapsed into the ocean - there would be the largest tsunami ever with waves all over the world, the Atlantic and Pacific would now be one, there would be a massive cleanup for US, millions of lives lost, no freshwater, earthquakes, no oil for many countries, especially the US - 43% of their oil is from Canada causing many problems such as fights over gasoline, war for Middle East oil, everything is made from oil, even Elizabeth Arden's cosmetics, maybe back to coal and air pollution, Canada's boreal forests gone; ocean levels would drop; loss of snow heats up the planet, deserts, etc turn to ice age when oceans absorb the CO2; Canadian animals and birds would be gone

Ending with a five minute video, narrated by Mike Myers, with a brief summary of high points of Canada's history for anyone who is interested. It was a tear-jerker of proud moments for me as a Canadian.

https://youtu.be/6pbQbLYx2do

Quote is part of The New Democratic Party leader’s last letter to Canadians released after his death:

And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world’s environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don’t let them tell you it can’t be done.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
All my very best,
Jack Layton

“Thank you Canada”, from a very grateful citizen.

Hope123

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:03:06 AM

Neurons: 234,337
Hope123 wrote:
Banting, Best, Macleod, and Collip worked on previous discoveries to make insulin as a treatment for diabetes

I knew this.

Hope123 wrote:
Alexander G Bell invented the phone, phonograph, hydrofoil, the basis for fibre optic technology

Didn't know he was Canadian.

And shame on you for not including ice hockey into the list. :)

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:05:27 AM

Neurons: 3,997
I sure would love to be a Canadian just for the passport alone.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:06:00 AM

Priscilla86 wrote:

Being a citizen is not about the passport and ability to travel without a visa. It's about allegiance.

Quote:
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters

Though Canada lets people live there retaining their original citizenship. And this is a really good opportunity to try.

Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:18:44 AM

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1 wrote:
Priscilla86 wrote:

Being a citizen is not about the passport and ability to travel without a visa. It's about allegiance.

Quote:
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters

Though Canada lets people live there retaining their original citizenship. And this is a really good opportunity to try.

In case it wasn't clear, my post was done in jest.

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:53:54 AM

Neurons: 360,323
Priscilla86 wrote:

What if your allegiance is to having a really pretty passport?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:30:00 AM

Neurons: 265,027

Not to talk about curling ;-)

(Actually both ice-hockey and curling are "invented" in Scotland)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:44:35 AM

Neurons: 4,063
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Not to talk about curling ;-)

(Actually both ice-hockey and curling are "invented" in Scotland)

Alexander Graham Bell was born in Scotland and emigrated to Canada as an adult like many Scots in the 19th century.

But thank you Canada for all you have done for the world, particularly for the brave souls that helped Britian to fight for its survival both WW1 and WW2.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:37:33 AM

Neurons: 37,643

And despite whatever Wiki might say - Bell did not 'invent' the telephone. Rather disgracefully, he took out a patent on the work of an Italian inventor which had been sent to him for his revue.

(Not taking you to task, Hope - as I know you'll be aware. But was shocked rigid to find Bell credited with the 'invention' on Wiki - especially since even the US Senate finally withdrew the claim that it was Bell. I see that now a quite a few sites re-frame the question as "Who was CREDITED with inventing the phone?" and then, belatedly, giving Meucci a mention. Agggh. I HATE wiki!!)
Priscilla86
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:44:49 AM

Romany wrote:

And despite whatever Wiki might say - Bell did not 'invent' the telephone. Rather disgracefully, he took out a patent on the work of an Italian inventor which had been sent to him for his revue.

Kind of how Edison didn't 'invent' the light bulb, then. Both were probably more of good businessmen than inventors. Off topic, is revue = review? How commonplace is this use?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:51:35 AM

Neurons: 265,027
Priscilla,
you can review a revue.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:38:51 AM

http://www.invention-help.com/invention-of-the-telephone-timeline

"Exactly who invented the first modern telephone still remains a dispute to this day. Among those given credit for the invention of the telephone are Alexander Graham Bell, Antonio Meucci, Johann Philipp Reis and Elisha Gray.
They all worked independently of each other, yet worked towards a common goal: allowing people to communicate over large distances.
The progression of the invention of the telephone timeline can viewed as follows:
• It was proven that vibrations on metal could be converted into electrical impulses by Michael Faraday.
• Antonio Meucci demonstrated a telephone-like device to people in Havana.
• In Germany, Johann Philipp Reis built a device that was capable of converting sound into electricity and back into sound again.
• Meucci files an intention to patent.
• Elisha Gray founded the Western Electric Manufacturing Company.
• Thomas Edison builds a rheostat based on the principle of pressure on carbon molecules causing variable resistance.
• An electromagnetic device that can transmit musical notes is invented by Gray.
• 1876 Gray puts forward a caveat or notice of intention to patent for the telephone.
• 1876 About 2 hours after Gray, Alexander Graham Bell puts forward his application to patent the telephone.
• Alexander Graham Bell’s US patent is granted. The first full sentence was transmitted through the telephone on the 6 th of March 1876 by Bell. The first sentence was ‘Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you.’

Bell was born in Scotland, worked in the US, and got the US patent. That call went from Bell’s home in Brantford, Ontario to Paris, Ontario.

"Meucci, who lived in New York, submitted a patent caveat for his telephonic device to the U.S. Patent Office in 1871, but there was no mention of electromagnetic transmission of vocal sound in his caveat. In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell was granted a patent for the electromagnetic transmission of vocal sound by undulatory electric current." It also appears Meucci was in the same financial boat as Woodward and Evans when they couldn’t get the backing for their light bulb and had to sell the patent to Edison who got the fame as inventor.

The US Senate is not an authority on much of anything in my opinion.

If Gray filed two hours ahead, why didn’t he get the patent?

The fact remains that Bell got the patent and made the first call in Ontario.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:46:09 AM

The list in my OP was meant to show how Canada has contributed far more than I, as a Canadian myself, even realized. I have always thought of Canada as a minor player with little influence in the world, unnoticed by other countries, and just a satellite of Britain. I have always taken Canada and my ho hum life there for granted until recently. After I saw these programs I did begin to imagine what it would be like without these inventions and contributions to the world’s modern day life that we all take for granted nowadays.

A world where SARS and Ebola are not running rampant was not guaranteed and many countries worked on those. I remember quite well the SARS scare in Toronto in 2003. We rely on security cameras to protect us. People who need a heart pacemaker, diabetics who need insulin, and cancer patients who need cobalt 60 all live longer and better lives. This was not always the case.

I can imagine the non digital world we had but gratefully accept all the inventions we have because of some little thing called a CCD chip which digitizes light into electrical signal.

Inventors are all over the world. One discovery leads to another, maybe even in another field and we have all kinds of technology developing today. With communication so easy now, they are working together more frequently. For example, California and Toronto hospitals worked together and achieved a major breakthrough in cancer not too long ago. Whole room-fulls of scientists are being brought together from different countries and areas of expertise to brainstorm many problems. Often discoveries overlap as ideas escape into the air. As long as they all help in the advancement of humankind, that is all that matters.

Apparently, hockey was declared Canada’s official winter sport and lacrosse, from the First Nations peoples, the summer one. But Charles Darwin played hockey in England long before Canada was even born. As far as I am concerned, baseball used to be far more ubiquitous - we all grabbed a bat and ball every recess at school, but that is long gone now. Those games developed in countries that are a lot older than Canada.

Priscilla, those are my colors too, but that fireworks one must be new for the 150th A. Ours just have maple leaves all over them.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:57:34 AM

My favorite apple is the McIntosh. Unfortunately it is seasonal and I have trouble finding organic ones. It was developed by John McIntosh who discovered the original McIntosh sapling on his Dundas farm in Upper Canada in 1811. He and his wife bred it, and the family started grafting the tree and selling the fruit in 1835. (I had a friend in high school called John McIntosh - just a few years later. :))

I don't know how it came to be the name of a computer - the Mac with an Apple as its symbol.

TMe
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:52:47 AM

Neurons: 2,634
Everything but Not without British Columbia.

I am a layman.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:49:08 PM

Yes, TMe. I love B.C. The mountains, the animals, the flowers, the winters, Butchart Gardens, the skiing, boating, Simon Fraser University, the Japanese Gardens, Stanley Park with its magnificent monster trees, Whistler, totem poles, observatories, etc.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/canada/vancouver

Capilano Suspension Bridge - not so much.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:31:26 AM

Neurons: 37,643

Hope - well I don't know how 'the world' views Canada, but my experiences have never led me - or anyone I've ever come across - to think of Canada as a satellite of GB; or as a minor player.

Canadian people are regarded fondly by people all over the world - Canada is known to be one of the most lovely, clean, modern countries; Canada's policies are in line with other First World countries; it's a progressive country; the population is well-served - and the Canadians have always been absolutely wonderful allies who can always be depended upon.

That's not bad rep. girl - you guys are the envy of millions of people! (And now, to cap it all, you have a PM who has the most sexy eyes of any politician in the rest of the world!!)
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:41:03 PM

Romany wrote:
Hope - well I don't know how 'the world' views Canada, but my experiences have never led me - or anyone I've ever come across - to think of Canada as a satellite of GB; or as a minor player.

Yet Canada was created by an act of the British Parliament to promote the interests of the British Empire.

Romany wrote:
And now, to cap it all, you have a PM who has the most sexy eyes of any politician in the rest of the world!!

This is exactly what makes a good Prime Minister.

Quote:
Justin Trudeau? Never heard of her.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:06:53 PM

Romany, thanks for your remarks recognizing Canada. I think I (and perhaps many other Canadians) have been complacently taking Canada for granted. It was only a few years ago when the Reform Party hijacked the Progressive Conservatives and started to dismantle democracy, charities, science, environmental agencies etc. that I woke up. And many others did too so they voted in Trudeau. However, there are still those whose baser instincts have been awakened lately that we have to guard against. They are even raining on the 150th parade.

Believe it or not, a lot of the pushback of comments against Trudeau right from the beginning was against his popularity, good looks, and congenial personality. I think some of it is a matter of sour grapes 🍇 and jealousy. His government was new and learning, going slowly and are trying to get things right. They have made mistakes. But they are working towards good goals in spite of the criticism from the other two parties. It's all politics anyhow.

Trudeau was a teacher, not a politician and his people were mostly rookies. However they are not making all the disastrous mistakes the govt south of us is doing when they do have many seasoned politicians.

Wow, I'm rambling again - I started to tell you if you have 45 minutes and can get this video online (it is CBC TV so it might be copyrighted out) you would get a few laughs without needing to be Canadian to get the jokes and see how Canadians spoof themselves. It is Canada's idea of the US "Saturday Night Live" or any of the British humor groups.

These people do a pretty good job about our 150th in this particular show. Even get in a few subtle truthful cracks about the Americans. A well liked actor Gordon Pinsent is in some of the skits.

It is called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes". (Maybe since Trevor Noah is on holidays for two weeks you'll have some extra time to spare.)

http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/

Priscilla86
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:36:44 AM

Hope, I think Canadians have many great things to be proud of, it's just that they're not as boastful as that certain counterpart down south...*cough cough* Whistle Whistle

In all seriousness, I would love to visit Canada in autumn, heard nothing but the loveliest comments about the autumn foliage there. A road trip across Canada would be nice someday =)

I've also heard nothing but great things from colleagues who've been to Canada with one exception: the winter. I recently met a fellow Indonesian on a flight whose stepfather is a Canadian. She said she went to live in Canada for a year when she was a teenager but she said she couldn't stand the harsh winter which she said could go to -40 Celsius, so she decided to go back. Curiously, her stepfather and mother have now settled in Indonesia also due to the weather.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:30:08 AM

Priscilla, I just heard that Canadians developed peanut butter. Who knew?

And on that TV show I just mentioned - "22 Minutes", they said that we also developed the "instant replay" in sports because the hockey players got tired of recreating a play in slow motion. Whistle

Spring is great with all the beautiful hues and values and shades of green. Summer is summer - what can I say. Certain areas can be hot and humid for a few days but there is always relief. Fall is absolutely gorgeous with all the reds, yellows, and oranges mixed amongst the evergreens.

The most spectacular parts of Canada are the mountains and forests and lakes out west, but the trees and lakes and rocks of northern Ontario are not too shabby either.

Winter is a mixed bag in Canada. - 40 C which is also - 40 F may happen in certain parts but is not a usual temperature in southern Canada. Most of the population lives along the US border and where I am in Ontario is actually further south than some US states. And the city where I live has the most moderate winter temperature in Ontario as we are situated on the corner of the lake and it depends upon the direction of the prevailing winds.

One either loves winter and the winter sports or hates it and tries to go south as much as possible. Or if one wants to stay in Canada for winter, Victoria, BC has maybe 2 and a half months of temperature around 40F or 5 C. I would be there except my grans are here.

On that same TV program they spoofed the Vikings landing on the shores of Newfoundland and turning around and jumping back into their boat saying it was too cold. So yeah, if one is used to hot temps, winter in Canada is not ideal. True Canadians brag about how it makes them a hardy breed. 😀

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:43:54 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Winter is a mixed bag in Canada. - 40 C which is also - 40 F may happen in certain parts but is not a usual temperature in southern Canada.

Winter in Manitoba:

Ok. So it's the 150th Canada Day tomorrow. To me it's in 5 hours. Gonna celebrate as an erstwhile Canadian (not by passport but by criminal record).

Trois bouteilles de vodka.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:16:12 PM

Happy Canada Day and 150th A to an honorary, CDN, Xap, no matter how you got here. Have a shot for me! Come visit, Priscilla - we'd love to have you.

I've only flown over the west to live in BC and I've never been in -40 temps - I hear your extremities freeze instantly when exposed. I have always hated the cold but managed to get through an easy last winter in our city without any trouble.

We do have many immigrants from warmer climes who stay. For instance my GP is Argentinian and she trained and stayed in Canada. My husband's heart surgeon whom I've mentioned before is Brazilian. They had a TV special last winter where they took some refugees from hot climes to areas in Ontario where they could ski, downhill ski, and skate, and they were loving it. How long that lasts is anybody's guess. 😀

In spite of all our flaws, I feel privileged to be a Canadian and I'm celebrating Canada too.

My husband and I are also celebrating our 55th A today.)

Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 3:19:09 PM

Xap and Priscilla, here are some numbers you might be interested in.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/fun-facts-canada-day-150-by-the-numbers-1.4181693

boneyfriend
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 6:57:56 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Hope, Canada is lucky to have you.

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. Ben Williams
Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:28:01 PM

Boneyfriend, you just put the icing on a very excellent day spent with good friends celebrating anniversaries. I am so stuffed I can barely move.

I hope all is well with you and your family!

They always say Canada does not have her own cuisine. Here's a photo of the dessert they gave both couples at the steakhouse as congratulations for anniversaries (and birthdays too) - called Billy Miner Pie. It is ice cream, chocolate base, almonds, looks like raspberry and chocolate syrup, and who knows what else. Maybe they could use this for our iconic food. Pray

Edited - I checked their website -
Mocha ice cream on a chocolate crust with hot fudge, caramel and almonds.

mmmm No wonder it was so good.

IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 6:01:56 AM

Neurons: 457,556

Happy Birthday, Canada!

Keep celebrating, Canadians. Your country is worth it.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:58:56 AM

Neurons: 141,825
Hi Hope!

My 'picture' of Canada is similar to that of Romany (not so sure about those eyes though!)

You asked: "If Gray filed two hours ahead, why didn’t he get the patent?"
I'm no expert, but the wording seems to be that the others filed "an intention to patent", Bell actually applied for a patent.

These sound like different actions - a bit like posting banns and getting married.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 10:39:26 AM

Neurons: 172,699
Canada has always been the great upstairs neighbor with the crackhouse downstairs.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 1:13:58 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Drago. Makes sense. And thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.

We are watching on TV the celebrations all over Canada and particularly in Ottawa on Parliament Hill, the show being in the charge of Peter Mansbridge, our mainstay of news at CBC for many years, who sadly retires today.

People stood for hours going through security in the pouring rain which has finally stopped in time for the ceremonies.

The Governor General and Mrs. Johnson, our representative to the Queen of England, and Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall rode in a landau with the RCMP and inspected the troops. Justin and Sophie Trudeau spoke to the press and Justin's mother is there but the little blonde curly haired youngest Trudeau stole the show.

It's an emotional day for many.

The Indigenous artists did a dance around the perpetual flame started in 1967. It has been well recognized in this ceremony and speeches that Canada actually began thousands of years ago by the descendants of our indigenous peoples. The stage show begins. PM Trudeau is now giving an excellent speech rallying ALL Canadians. When our country was made official it began with the co-existence of two cultures and two languages and now we are a diverse country of many cultures and languages, not a melting pot.

I was truly surprised that in London there are celebrations in Trafalgar Square, and in the pubs, probably by CDN expats. And they showed the Bank of England governor, Mark Carney, who used to be the governor of the Bank of Canada, playing hockey in a Canada shirt. Apparently there are celebrations in Hong Kong as well, and perhaps elsewhere.

There are hundreds of citizenship ceremonies going on around the country and it is an honour to know that that many people chose Canada to be their country. Sandra Oh just asked who in the audience are the offspring of immigrants and a great shout went up, And there were shouts that went up in the crowd from all areas of Canada who were in Ottawa today.

The messages. - We are young and are a work in progress. We are looking towards the future challenges of climate change and middle class support to make a country for our children where our core values will never change. Trudeau says, "This is home".

And very importantly Whistle - Let's hope the Blue Jays baseball team wins today and tomorrow - our family is there watching.

I have to go watch U2. The festivities will end with what I expect will be a great fireworks display over the Ottawa River at 11 p.m. tonight. I have seen ordinary July 1st fireworks in that setting over the river that were beautiful so I expect this one will be fantastic.

Have a great day, Freedelphians!

Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:24:41 AM

Neurons: 55,607
Hope wrote:
Imagine A World Without Canada

High Hope, No I'd rather not, I've regarded Canada as the cap of sanity on North America for a long time now.

Happy belated Canada day!

Getting old, I could have sworn I'd already posted this.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:46:25 AM

Neurons: 78,136
Belated, National Day, Hope and other Canadian folk here.

Couldn't agree more, Epiphileon.Applause

And Hope, Canada does spell hOPE for many of us.

"...hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour"
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 11:51:34 AM

Thanks, Epi and AD.

Epi, I know the feeling quite well of planning on doing something and wondering if I actually did it or not. 😳

After all the rhetoric, comedy, and fireworks I came away with a couple of main ideas.

Bono said, “Canada, when some build walls, you open your doors.” I hope that remains.

But the final idea was stated in an interview by a young woman, my very own Burlington Member of Parliament in Ottawa, who said, “For the next 150 years, let’s do better, and above all, let’s get it right”.

She went on to explain that meant climate innovations to mitigate change for the world, keeping our democracy and our rights and having equality for all. I can’t remember the other points in her list, but that gives you the idea.

But the Blue Jays got swamped. ☹️ Hope they do better today!