The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What's the meaning of this word? Options
Kunstniete
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:33:12 AM

Neurons: 104,088
Hello everyone,

I just re-read some books and came across a strange word which I've never heard or seen before (also, I didn't found it on the net but maybe I just searched in the wrong places). The extract is about 2 people, one of them is a villain who only cares for money, the other one was the right hand of another villain but seems to have found a conscience. The person speaking is the villain.

„I can see it in your eyes, boy, you really have lost your […] mind and found Jesus. […] I thought it was a scam. I thought you were running some kind of schuck, or maybe going through some kind of spring cleaning of the soul. […], I thought it was a frigging phase and-“

From the context I would infer a meaning like drama, swindle, hustle, something in that direction. Do you know about this word? I'm sorry if it's vulgar, since the speaking person is prone of using 4-letter-words Silenced

Thank you very much :]

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:03:03 AM

Neurons: 60,813
No equivalent in German, clearly!

It sounds Yiddish, so in looking for Yiddish words, and unconsciously simplifying the sch to sh for the English writing market, I get

Quote:

From Yiddish
shuck
noun
1 Nonsense; a deception, sham.

related to schtuck, shtick, I would guess?

[From Yiddish, from German Stuck piece, play] shtook [[tuk/ noun Also schtook, ... German stupfen to nudge, jog]

And, no, that one is not vulgar.
I don't know it, so I don't know how common it is. The meaning is as you guessed, pretty clear from context, but I don't think it is that common as a word.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 3:52:00 PM

Neurons: 3,612
Although I think you are both correct in this context about the meaning of shuck, it has other meanings as well.

From TFD:
Quote:
shuck (shŭk)
n.
a. A husk, pod, or shell of a seed, nut, or fruit, such as a pecan or an ear of corn.
b. A shell of a bivalve, such as an oyster or clam.
c. The exoskeleton or pupal case of an insect larva or nymph, especially one that has been shed.
2. often shucks Informal Something worthless: an issue that didn't amount to shucks.
tr.v. shucked, shuck·ing, shucks
a. To remove the husk or shell from: shuck corn.
b. To open the shell of (a bivalve): shuck oysters.
2. Informal To cast off: shucked their coats and cooled off; a city trying to shuck a sooty image.
interj. shucks (shŭks)

I think I have heard it most often in relation to shucking oysters from their shell.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Kunstniete
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:27:54 AM

Neurons: 104,088
thar wrote:
It sounds Yiddish [...]

Actually I instantly thought of "schmock", which is also yiddish and mean ssomething like "fool". Far away from the meaning I infered for schuck, though ;)

Thank you both very much Anxious

The value of choice is not in the size of the action but in its effect.