The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Predicate of a sentence Options
You know who I am
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:25:01 PM

Neurons: 4,687
Dear fellows.

I have recently seen a few explanations about the Predicate of a sentence; most explanations consider it to be the completer of the subject, or every thing that comes after the subject; after studying and gathering some information about this topic, I discovered that the predicate is the Verb performed by the subject; most content that comes after the verb will likely modify the verb: objects or complements, prepositional phrase acting adverbialy, modifiers... So, according to it, I reached a final conclusion: A predicate is not only the verb, but all objects/modifiers/complements relating to the verb, therefore:

Quote:
I want to do it in the evening when the sun goes down

want to do it in the evening when the sun goes down is the predicate of I, because:

want - main verb;
to do it - to-infinitive complement clause which belongs to the verb;
in the evening - prepositional phrase modifying the to-infinitive clause which belongs to the main verb want;
when the sun goes down - finite adverbial clause, modifying the to-infinitive complement clause which belongs to the main verb want;

So, it is like a string, and every part refers back to the main verb which is the predicate of the subject: I.

Does this interpretation sound correct?

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
NKM
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:23:57 AM

Neurons: 158,733
I agree that all that follows the subject is (at least in this case) the predicate of the sentence.

But of course there's that final clause, which has its own subject ("the sun") and its own predicate ("goes down").

You know who I am
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:15:46 AM

Neurons: 4,687
NKM wrote:

But of course there's that final clause, which has its own subject ("the sun") and its own predicate ("goes down").

Which is embedded in another predicate.

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6