The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What for the Creator Created us? Options
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:26:23 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
We don't know the place where we came from neither we know where will we go to. What is the purpose of life?

I am a layman.
whatson
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:55:19 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/19/2016
Posts: 234
Neurons: 2,127
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
*
The purpose of life is to practice while traveling between the two C.s - Cradle and Coffin.
*
(Can't tolerate the practice of using the apostrophe for the plural.)

Any correction of the writing of others will contain at least one gram., spelling, or typogr. error. - Erin McKean
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:37:48 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/27/2011
Posts: 33,924
Neurons: 474,785
Location: Lübeck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Don't forget to practice deliberately.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
TMe
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 11:45:16 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
Come on philosophers, teachers, thinkers and intelligentsia lets start a discussion.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:13:26 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,848
Neurons: 146,401
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

Very simple really - the purpose of life is to live.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:21:50 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
Sir , give definition me of 'to live'.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:30:33 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,848
Neurons: 146,401
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

The ones which would fit here are:

live vb (mainly intr)
1. to show the characteristics of life; be alive
2. to remain alive or in existence
11. to enjoy life to the full: he knows how to live.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 12:58:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
HE wanted this all from us?

A game He wanted to win?
OR Did we create the Creator for help, refuge and security?

I am asking , not my view.



I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:56:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,848
Neurons: 146,401
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Ah - now that's a different question from "What is the purpose of life?"

If you find the Creator - ask it. I don't speak for the Creator.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Y111
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 9:35:08 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
He may have created us just for fun. If you are immortal, life probably gets boring sometimes.

Actually we don't know anything about him. He may have an odd sense of humor and not give a damn about our well-being. Do you care about an ant you step on? Maybe for a moment, and then you forget it and never recall. Our belief that our lives matter to our creator is wishful thinking.

And our purpose may not have anything to do with our wishes and dreams.
TMe
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 10:23:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
DragO sir wrote;

Ah - now that's a different question from "What is the purpose of life?"

If you find the Creator - ask it. I don't speak for the Creator.


No possibility of meeting HIM . Otherwise I would not have put this query on this forum.
I am hoping for an explanation from the wise friends and philosophers on this forum so that I could take the right path and be true HIS direction/s and goals set for me .

Welcome Y111, to this forum

I am a layman.
Y111
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 11:45:48 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
TMe wrote:

No possibility of meeting HIM . Otherwise I would not have put this query on this forum.
I am hoping for an explanation from the wise friends and philosophers on this forum so that I could take the right path and be true HIS direction/s and goals set for me .

I think that if he wanted to set goals for you, he would communicate with you. What is setting a goal for someone if not telling that person what he/she should achieve? If the goals are set but you are not informed about them, it's a rather strange game. What could be the reason for it?
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:02:03 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 878
Neurons: 3,921
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan





One of the solutions:




Let's Live For Today



Grass Roots








Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:05:40 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,848
Neurons: 146,401
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi TMe.

Do you believe that your creator is a body?
Bodies have sex ('him', 'her').
Spirits are above that - they aren't sexual beings, are they?


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 11:42:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
DragO sir wrote:

Hi TMe.

Do you believe that your creator is a body?
Bodies have sex ('him', 'her').
Spirits are above that - they aren't sexual beings, are they?



For a minute, HE is not a body nor sexual beings.

Then who they are? Do you know who they are?

Please explain.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 11:53:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,848
Neurons: 146,401
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
I don't understand really - you say that the creator is not a body, and is not a sexual thing.
But you insist on shouting "HE".

If it is not a body and not sexual (gendered) then it is 'it' not 'he'.

**********
You ask who they are - I don't know.
I have no idea of what is real to you.
I have my own ideas, and have seen enough to be sure for myself, but no objective proof or anything.

What do you think?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:24:25 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/12/2017
Posts: 487
Neurons: 3,094
Majority (almost all) religious books and writings envision HIM as 'he'.

I am a layman.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:51:59 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
TMe wrote:
Come on philosophers, teachers, thinkers and intelligentsia lets start a discussion.


Why would you want children ? Answer that question as though you were the kindest, wisest, most loving parent on the planet and you will have your answer.

I remember, therefore I am.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:50:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2009
Posts: 11,798
Neurons: 80,166
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
jacobusmaximus wrote:
TMe wrote:
Come on philosophers, teachers, thinkers and intelligentsia lets start a discussion.


Why would you want children ? Answer that question as though you were the kindest, wisest, most loving parent on the planet and you will have your answer.



Jake, i admire you ALL the MORE...
Applause Applause Applause

"...hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour"
Y111
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 8:03:32 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
A loving father would probably interfere if he saw his children abusing and killing one another and destroying the place they live in. But our creator doesn't seem to care. Is it typical of a loving parent?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 8:47:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Y111 wrote:
A loving father would probably interfere if he saw his children abusing and killing one another and destroying the place they live in. But our creator doesn't seem to care. Is it typical of a loving parent?


I am not surprised that you asked this question, Y111, as you, according to your post on the 25th, are unaware that God communicates with us through scripture. People who murder other people have turned away from God. They are not listening to Him and will pay for their sinfulness in Hell.

I remember, therefore I am.
Y111
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 9:34:14 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
But loving parents don't communicate with their children through scriptures. They come to them in person. And they don't say, "OK, I will punish you later, and now you may go on cutting your brother's throat". This is simply not typical of a loving parent, and that's why this parental metaphor doesn't work for me.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:54:20 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Y111 wrote:
But loving parents don't communicate with their children through scriptures. They come to them in person. And they don't say, "OK, I will punish you later, and now you may go on cutting your brother's throat". This is simply not typical of a loving parent, and that's why this parental metaphor doesn't work for me.



God, our Creator, came to us in the Person of Jesus. If you read about Him in Scripture, especially in Matthew's Gospel, you will learn how to live in love and peace.

I remember, therefore I am.
Y111
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 10:59:19 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
jacobusmaximus wrote:

God, our Creator, came to us in the Person of Jesus. If you read about Him in Scripture, especially in Matthew's Gospel, you will learn how to live in love and peace.


In the person of Jesus, he came to those who lived 2000 years ago around Jerusalem. You and I can only read about it and decide if we trust the story.

A lot of people didn't even have this option because it took centuries for the gospels to spread over the globe. Again, if a loving father wanted to save his children from death, would he show the way to life just to some of them and let the rest die in ignorance? Is such behavior normal for a loving parent?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 3:22:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Y111 wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

God, our Creator, came to us in the Person of Jesus. If you read about Him in Scripture, especially in Matthew's Gospel, you will learn how to live in love and peace.


In the person of Jesus, he came to those who lived 2000 years ago around Jerusalem. You and I can only read about it and decide if we trust the story.

You can, and must, do more than read about it. Read about it and put what you read into practice. You will know then that it is more than a story. It is a way of life that is beneficial to all.


A lot of people didn't even have this option because it took centuries for the gospels to spread over the globe. Again, if a loving father wanted to save his children from death, would he show the way to life just to some of them and let the rest die in ignorance? Is such behaviour normal for a loving parent?


The message of the New Testament was foretold in the Old Testament which was shown to all humankind even before it was written. Ignorance of it does not cause death, but rejection of it does.

I remember, therefore I am.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 4:58:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,416
Neurons: 53,298
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
jacobusmaximus wrote:
The message of the New Testament was foretold in the Old Testament which was shown to all humankind even before it was written.

How and when was it shown to all humankind?
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 5:19:41 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 3,937
Neurons: 57,149
TMe wrote:
We don't know the place where we came from neither we know where will we go to. What is the purpose of life?


Good Morning, or whatever time you may be reading this TMe,

Your question presupposes the existence of a creator, and apparently that we exist before and after our physical lives as they are now. I would first encourage you to ask why you believe these things. Look deeply into the accounts of creator gods that have been written throughout human history, and the evidence we have of gods in prehistoric times, then look at how those gods, and religions evolved over time. One of the things that becomes apparent is that gods serve to give humankind a purpose where nonesuch had seemed to exist. We are far more mature now as a species than when we offered sacrifices to the volcanoes and later to angry personal gods that required sacrifices to atone for our shortcomings.

Humankind has created its own purpose ever since the notion of what our purpose was, became an issue. In fact there is a reasonable case that the reason the issue came up to begin with was that it was instigated by the very notion of an interactive creator, after all why would you make something for no reason? So what then if there are no gods, or what then for those of us who do not accept that any such thing as the gods described by humans throughout history exist? Do our lives have no purpose? Theists seem to love to think they do not, even assert that an atheist can have no purpose. This is an incredibly biased assertion, and is altogether untrue.

When I look at the universe, grasp its nature to the limits of my ability, look at the way in which it came to be what it is, how it being what it is allowed for the development of humankind, and that within this species of knowing entities, I, me, myself, have come to know that I exist as an experiencing being with self awareness, and that I am intimately a part of that universe, I am filled with a sense of wonder that actually overflows my ability to fully appreciate. So one aspect of my purpose in life is to cultivate and experience that wonder to the fullest extant possible.

I could not exist without the existence of humankind, and without all the travails and miseries, as well as all the accomplishments and victories, of all who came before me. This thing I call myself, this ability to even be able to say "I", is in my opinion, the most amazing development of the physical universe, in no matter what species it may occur. In our case that species is homo sapiens, and I am quite comfortable in asserting, if there be such a thing as sin, then sin would be to not strive to see this species flourish. So another aspect of my purpose in life is to the extant possible contribute to the survival and development of the species, even if it is only through involving myself in reasoned discussions on the nature of the purpose of human life.

I am a member of the species homo sapiens, a social animal. Social animals rely on cooperation, and group nurturing, to survive and thrive; therefore, it is my responsibility to contribute to these needs to the extant that I can, and I do this joyfully, even in times that it may cost me, inconvenience me, or require sacrifice, I will do it. Why? Because it is right, and I do not need an external source to tell me that. I assert that it is evident in the nature of humanity, not that we would by nature necessarily see it that way. When I wax romantic about the whole thing I say, "For we are duty bound in blood honor!" That most certainly is a purpose in life.

Do you know wonder? Jaw dropping, every synapse open, mind blowing wonder? I have known such wonder, not all the time of course life is not easy, it requires much of us just to survive. It is my conviction though that to experience wonder fulfills life, makes all the struggle worth it, knowing it becomes a purpose for life. Knowing wonder and increasing our capacity for it seems like a moral obligation to me, however, as it is known it also becomes a moral obligation to share it and cultivate it in others. After all what better way to encourage the ongoing development of humankind than by giving it an ecstatic state to visit? The promise of one after death seems to motivate people pretty well, how much better to be able to know it now while we yet live?





Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:11:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
tunaafi wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
The message of the New Testament was foretold in the Old Testament which was shown to all humankind even before it was written.

How and when was it shown to all humankind?


The Messiah is foretold in many O.T. books. The earliest would be Genesis 3:15. If you read that verse in context you will see how, when and where God dealt with sin and that he promised the Messiah who was spoken of in the New Testament.

I remember, therefore I am.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:17:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
TMe wrote:
We don't know the place where we came from neither we know where will we go to. What is the purpose of life?


Looking again at your Post, TMe, I am bound to ask 'who do you mean by "We"?' Then I take it that you don't need to know about the Birds and the Bees or about what happens to a body at the of life. So I am puzzled by your question and would ask you to expand on it please.

I remember, therefore I am.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:40:14 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,416
Neurons: 53,298
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
jacobusmaximus wrote:


The Messiah is foretold in many O.T. books.

That's hardly showing it to all mankind.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 3:17:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
tunaafi wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:


The Messiah is foretold in many O.T. books.

That's hardly showing it to all mankind.


It was all mankind at the time.


I remember, therefore I am.
tunaafi
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2017 5:06:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,416
Neurons: 53,298
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
jacobusmaximus wrote:

It was all mankind at the time.

Which time?

Stop. Before we go any further, do you believe that God created the world/universe some 6,000 (-ish) years ago? If you do (and a simple 'yes' will suffice as a response), then read no further, and I will leave this thread (I promise!).

If, however you accept the scientific evidence that homo sapiens has been around for at least 200,000 years, then God's revelation of his truth to a small group of people in the Middle East a a few thousand years ago can hardly be considered a revelation to all humankind.



Y111
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 1:43:03 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 128
Neurons: 618
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
God could have created all the scientific evidence as well. As I have already suggested above, he may have an odd sense of humor. So there is no guarantee we weren't created six minutes ago with all our memories of the past.

Maybe he simply turns us on and off as we do with our computers, only we don't have an independent clock to see how much time has really passed. What we perceive as adjacent moments may be separated by millions of years. Or trillions.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 3:25:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/17/2009
Posts: 10,882
Neurons: 339,822
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
tunaafi wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:

It was all mankind at the time.

Which time?

Stop. Before we go any further, do you believe that God created the world/universe some 6,000 (-ish) years ago? If you do (and a simple 'yes' will suffice as a response), then read no further, and I will leave this thread (I promise!).

If, however you accept the scientific evidence that homo sapiens has been around for at least 200,000 years, then God's revelation of his truth to a small group of people in the Middle East a a few thousand years ago can hardly be considered a revelation to all humankind.





A simple yes may suffice for you, tunaafi, but not for me.

I don't know when God created the world as we know it today, or humankind as we are now. But then scientific evidence doesn't know when homo sapiens first appeared. I mean 'at least 200,000 years' could be any figure above that - a billion years, two billion? It is one of the unknowns of science.

I do believe that God's work of creation was the beginning and Adam and Eve were part of that work. In their time sin entered the world and God dealt with it, promising that, in time, a Saviour would come into the world as the means by which humankind could overcome sin and death, the consequence of sin. That promise was to all 'who have ears to hear'. It is still being told today. Sadly, it is rejected by many.


I remember, therefore I am.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 6:02:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,416
Neurons: 53,298
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
jacobusmaximus wrote:
But then scientific evidence doesn't know when homo sapiens first appeared. I mean 'at least 200,000 years' could be any figure above that - a billion years, two billion? It is one of the unknowns of science.
OK, I should have said 'about' rather than 'at least'. However, there is no question of it being billions, or even millions of years.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.