The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Moses Harry Horwitz, AKA Moe Howard (1897) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 61,695
Moses Harry Horwitz, AKA Moe Howard (1897)

Howard was an American actor and comedian, best known as the leader of the Three Stooges. The fourth of five brothers, he never graduated high school and got into show business by running errands for performers. In 1923, he formed the vaudeville act accompanying Ted Healy that would later become the Three Stooges. The men went on to make more than 200 popular comedy shorts featuring their characteristic brand of violent slapstick. How did Howard come by his trademark bowl-shaped haircut? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 7:35:38 AM

Neurons: 1,714,618
Today's Birthday
Moses Harry Horwitz, AKA Moe Howard (1897)
Howard was an American actor and comedian, best known as the leader of the Three Stooges. The fourth of five brothers, he never graduated high school and got into show business by running errands for performers. In 1923, he formed the vaudeville act accompanying Ted Healy that would later become the Three Stooges. The men went on to make more than 200 popular comedy shorts featuring their characteristic brand of violent slapstick.
Joemark
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 7:48:38 AM

Neurons: 10,437
Moses Harry Horwitz (June 19, 1897 – May 4, 1975), known professionally as Moe Howard, was an American actor and comedian best known as the leader of The Three Stooges, the farce comedy team who starred in motion pictures and television for four decades. His distinctive hairstyle came about when he was a boy and cut off his curls with a pair of scissors, producing a ragged shape approximating a bowl cut.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 2:30:25 PM

Neurons: 1,572,201
Hardest working toupee in show business!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
thar
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:49:17 AM

Neurons: 60,210
No offence to Mo - the guy had to make a living - but I have never got this style of slapstick violence. Because it is violence. I have only seen a little bit, and I am aware of its place in American film culture, but I have no desire to see more. What is funny about poking someone in the eye, or hitting them over the head? I love comedy, including verbal and physical, but this just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I am a bit sensitive, as a glasses wearer? But that may be overthinking it. I think it is just bullying and tasteless. Just doesn't do it for me, at all.