The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Some "Southern Comfort' on Fathers Day! Options
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:11:31 AM

Neurons: 390,855
*Southern Comfort was first produced by Irish bartender Martin Wilkes Heron in the 1880s in New Orleans’ French Quarter. Heron moved to Memphis, Tennessee, in 1889, patented his booze, and began selling it in sealed bottles (to keep it from being adulterated or diluted) with the labels “None Genuine But Mine” and “Two per customer. No Gentleman would ask for more.” According to Master Distiller Chris Morris, the original recipe for Southern Comfort began with bourbon and included vanilla bean, lemon, cinnamon, cloves, cherries, oranges, and honey.

Bootleggers learned how to make there “Southern Comforter” from there fathers, who claimed to have misspent a portion of there youth in the French Quarter. (Recipe below)

1½ pounds fresh peaches
1 cup sugar
4 strips fresh lemon peel, about 2 inches long (don’t include the bitter white pith)
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches long
2 cups bourbon or brandy

Peel, pit, and slice peaches. Place in a saucepan, add sugar, and stir well. Warm over low heat until sugar is dissolved and peaches are juicy. Place mixture into a large jar, add lemon peel, cloves, cinnamon stick, and alcohol. Stir to combine. Cover and keep in a cool, dark place for 1 week, stirring occasionally. Strain and filter, pressing out the liquid from the peaches. Strain again. Homemade Southern Comforter is ready for cooking after a week, for drinking after a month.

**A bit of history...Alabama had been officially dry since 1915, and the Volstead Act had taken effect, nationally, in 1919, but, there seemed to be even more booze after Prohibition than there had been when Alabama was wet. Bootleggers made sure that anyone who wanted to have a drink could get a bottle or two of moonshine—even in the South, which, as Will Rogers joked, "would keep on voting dry as long as there was anybody sober enough to stagger to the polls."

References:
*"The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies" by Susan Wittig Albert
**"The Darling Dahlias and the Texas Star" by Susan Wittig Albert

If you'd like to make this recipe your own...then you could call it "Texan Comfort" or "New Yorker Comfort" or "Californian Comfort" or "Brazilian Comfort" or "Scotland Comfort" or "Asian Comfort" or "Australian Comfort" or "German Comfort" or "Canadian Comfort" or, or, or...

I know that my recipe for "Puerto Rican Comfort", (would probably have mango instead of peaches), papaya, and soursop...geez! let me stop before I get drunk just thinking about it!

PS This thread was such a 'Comfort' to write on this "Father's Day"
Hope you all had a great weekend fellow TFDers.
Dancing

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 10:39:16 AM

Neurons: 43,559
One of the best/worst nights of my life was when I went to a Christmas party in my youth where Southern Comfort was being served, along with lots of other alcoholic drinks — which I proceeded to imbibe without caution.

I woke up the next morning lying face down on the diving board over the swimming pool of an apartment building I didn't recognize. I can't now recall how long the hangover lasted, but I never got that drunk again, reducing any drinking experience to three drinks, and today rarely drink at all. It's been two or three years since my last drink. Thanks, Southern Comfort...Applause

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
coag
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 12:37:16 PM

Neurons: 4,500
Hello hedy mmm,

I thought about you yesterday. I hadn't seen your posts for some time and I wondered why you were not posting. I hope everything is okay with you.

I've never tried the drink Southern Comfort. I'll try it when I have a chance. If I wake up the next morning at the swimming pool of an apartment building I don't recognize, like FounDit, I can say: I was mislead by a woman. ("Welcome to the club", that's what the guys I work with would reply on "I was mislead by a woman".)

Regards,

coag
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 2:08:52 PM

Neurons: 390,855
Hey you guy! I can't get past one glass of wine! d'oh! I do not drink anything stronger than a 'Cortaito' (in Spanish) or a 'Machiato' (in Italian)...(a demitasse with a foam of milk on top)...a very STRONG coffee. Anxious

I love your story Foundit Dancing ...hope you know how to swim in case my thread entices you to drink again! I can almost picture you, face down, arms hanging down from the diving board, with yucky stuff on your face...you look real funny! (Did I say that out loud?)Silenced

Dear coag, thank you so much for missing me! Angel ... I have been very busy with work and sometimes I just increase my neurons (while drinking a cup of coffee), and get right back to work...but don't let me provoke you into trying anything that will give you a Foundit experience/nightmare! Shame on you

And you better not blame us women for being mislead...it was a MAN, an Irish bartender who first produced it!....

Don't kill the messenger/threader! Not talking
hedy Applause

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:42:04 PM

Neurons: 769
The inventor Southern Comfort was an Irish-American from St. Louis. After inventing it in New Orleans, patenting it in Memphis, Heron moved back to St. Louis and continued to market his liqueur at his tavern 1000 feet from where the Gateway Arch is today. When I was a youth, Southern Comfort was still a local product, and I have had my fair share.

Oh, and Heron is buried in the same cemetery as my father and grandfathers!
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:05:31 PM

Neurons: 43,559
hedy mmm wrote:

I love your story Foundit Dancing ...hope you know how to swim in case my thread entices you to drink again! I can almost picture you, face down, arms hanging down from the diving board, with yucky stuff on your face...you look real funny! (Did I say that out loud?)Silenced

You have it pictured pretty accurately. I don't think I "yuckied" the pool, luckily. I did know how to swim at that time, and fortunately I didn't roll over during the night.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:57:43 PM

Neurons: 141,825
I'm another who now rarely drinks alcohol - maybe once a year, sometimes once in two years - but I DO like the taste of really good spirits:
Southern Comfort
Old Jamaica
Glenmorangie
Remy Martin

Thanks for the Fathers' Day wishes.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
You know who I am
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 11:58:42 AM

Neurons: 4,687
hedy mmm wrote:

1½ pounds fresh peaches
1 cup sugar
4 strips fresh lemon peel, about 2 inches long (don’t include the bitter white pith)
4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches long
2 cups bourbon or

Naah, thank you, I still want to keep my liver working! Hahaha
I prefer my cold and soft coke..

by the way, I miss you a lot, hedy!!! (sent you an e-mail. I know you have been busy, so check it whenever you want to!).

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6