The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Devil's cap Options
Tomahawk71
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 9:51:25 AM

Neurons: 122,031

Quote:
He was a very short man, and very broad. He could have been a Celt from the tin-mines of Cornwall or the collieries of Wales. His dark grey hair was cut very close; it came to a point in the centre of his brow like a devil's cap.

Could you paraphrase the part in red, please?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 11:57:08 AM

Neurons: 4,033
There s a particular hair style that is associated with some images of the devil in English popular culture and cultures related to it for many years.
I apologise for this but it's the best illustration of it I could find on short notice.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoG5mAQgxs

The mans hair style looked similar to the one the devil mascot has.

I am not sure I could paraphrase it better than the description.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 12:23:43 PM

Neurons: 61,503
Not an informed answer, just a humorous aside -

There is a reason why Dracula always has to have a widow's peak.
One film where he doesn't and that suffered for it.

Whistle
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 7:56:57 PM

Thar a widows peak yes that's the name for it I could not think of what it was called.

So a better way to say the part in red would be "His dark grey hair was cut very close, into a widows peak".

leonAzul
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 8:48:31 PM

Neurons: 25,260
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Thar a widows peak yes that's the name for it I could not think of what it was called.

So a better way to say the part in red would be "His dark grey hair was cut very close, into a widows peak".

It would be unusual to cut out a widow's peak; I would prefer, "His dark grey hair was cut very close, and brushed back to reveal a widow's peak".

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 2:19:01 AM

Neurons: 141,752
Also, the black cap with one point at the front is traditionally worn by judges when they are pronouncing the death sentence.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
coag
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:39:25 PM

Neurons: 4,500
A famous widow's peak.

Gary Cooper (1901-1961)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:32:01 PM

coag wrote:
A famous widow's peak.

Gary Cooper (1901-1961)

I should have known that, he spent part of his childhood in Houghton Regis near here.

coag
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 3:04:28 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
I should have known that, he spent part of his childhood in Houghton Regis near here.

This is an interesting piece of information that people of Houghton Regis can, among other things, tell about their town.

I was curious where is Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire. Google Maps say it's 41.6 mi north, slightly west, from the City of London. Travel time 1h 15min, by car.

I am a straight guy but I'll say this, Gary Cooper was a really handsome man.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 6:28:39 PM

coag wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

This is an interesting piece of information that people of Houghton Regis can, among other things, tell about their town.

I was curious where is Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire. Google Maps say it's 41.6 mi north, slightly west, from the City of London. Travel time 1h 15min, by car.

I am a straight guy but I'll say this, Gary Cooper was a really handsome man.

You can get there much quicker by train and then bus, 35 minutes from London St Pancras International get off at Luton Railway station then 15 minutes on a bus.
I can get there much quicker than that.
Houghton Regis is now a suburb of Dunstable and it has a nice theatre there a pub next to it named after Gary Cooper, an intresting Priory Church that dates back to Norman times and London Zoos countryside annex Whipsnade Zoo where a person can camp overnight amongst the animals.

coag
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 11:20:30 PM

Thanks for the information, Sarrriesfan. In the meantime, I read Wikipedia about Houghton Regis, Dunstable and Luton and I looked at the pictures of the area on the Internet. You have very nice and interesting things at home. The Priory Church is a large and very old church-- founded, according to Wikipedia, in 1132.

Regards,

coag
Tomahawk71
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 1:42:19 AM

Neurons: 122,031
Thank you all for your informative and humorous answers!Applause
Romany
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 8:09:01 AM

Neurons: 37,559

Sarries - "a suburb" of Dunstable? OMG!

I remember, as a child, rolling down Dunstable Downs with my cousin - who found a Roman coin on the way down! (I was sooo jealous. He wasn't even INTERESTED in history. It seemed vastly unfair. Though I laughed, years later, when he told me he only hung on to it because he knew it would annoy me!!)

But I mean, that area around there was just country then. Seems funny to think it's now a suburb. Though I've accepted that Kempston is no longer separate from Bedford and THAT was a shock too.

And Whipsnade is still on-going? At least that part of my childhood, it seems, remains?

Now that not just I, but both my sons are living here, we really must go and spend a couple of days so I can show them it, and Woburn, of course.

I went to Bedford, by train, about 8-9 years ago. I was so shocked by the shoddiness and littered streets and sleaziness in places I remember as lovely, that I've never wanted to return. But your post reminded me that though some thing have changed rather nastily - so much else remains. And it's still a lovely area of the country, with some of the most wonderful sites in England.