The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meanwhile in Finland Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:35:34 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada








Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 1:40:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Here's a link for anyone who is still skeptical about climate change after reading FounDit's posts. It has many hot links responding to and debunking each argument separately in this complete list of dogma that skeptics use to try unsuccessfully to prove the "Righties' " political point.

http://grist.org/series/skeptics/

It seems all the arguments repeated in any climate change discussion by FD plus many more can be found and discredited on the above website. I have just listed his three main ones.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/there-is-no-consensus/

http://grist.org/climate-energy/current-global-warming-is-just-part-of-a-natural-cycle/

http://grist.org/climate-energy/why-should-the-us-join-kyoto-when-china-and-india-havent/


Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 8:48:37 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan





Meanwhile in New York state



Very cute!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/best-friend






progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 9:33:08 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 172,118
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
Here's a link for anyone who is still skeptical about climate change after reading FounDit's posts. It has many hot links responding to and debunking each argument separately in this complete list of dogma that skeptics use to try unsuccessfully to prove the "Righties' " political point.

http://grist.org/series/skeptics/

It seems all the arguments repeated in any climate change discussion by FD plus many more can be found and discredited on the above website. I have just listed his three main ones.

http://grist.org/climate-energy/there-is-no-consensus/

http://grist.org/climate-energy/current-global-warming-is-just-part-of-a-natural-cycle/

http://grist.org/climate-energy/why-should-the-us-join-kyoto-when-china-and-india-havent/


Thank you Hope. Here is one that debunks them in nice short points.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Here is one that goes more in depth on several items.
http://climatenexus.org/messaging-communication/basics/debunking-top-10-climate-change-myths

And it looks like the favorite argument for the skeptics (the accuracy of the climate models) has now been debunked as well.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/28/climate-scientists-just-debunked-deniers-favorite-argument
Climate change denier John Christy has told the US Congress, "the average of the models is considered to be untruthful in representing the recent decades of climate variation and change, and thus would be inappropriate for use in predicting future changes in the climate or for related policy decisions." Then, he tried to say that the climate models were too sensitive (relied too much) on greenhouse gas data "Indeed, the theoretical (model) view as expressed in the IPCC AR5 in every case overestimated the bulk tropical atmospheric temperature response of extra greenhouse gases … indicating the theoretical understanding of the climate response is too sensitive to greenhouse gases."

Scientists have since proven that this is not the case, Instead, the main culprit seems to be incorrect inputs used in the climate model simulations.

The issue is that climate model simulations are run using specific scenarios. These scenarios assume specific changes in factors that influence global temperature and climate changes (known as “forcings”), like rising levels of atmospheric greenhouse gases and changes in solar and volcanic activity.





Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
will
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 11:22:37 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 4,149
FounDit previously wrote:
I have provided multiple instances of evidence over the years to show that not all scientists agree with anthropogenic climate change. I even provided some on the page you linked to.

In reply I wrote:
Are you saying that John C. Fyfe, Dr. Nathan Gillett and Francis Zwiers, the authors of the paper you presented as evidence, are included in your claim that ‘not all scientists agree with anthropogenic climate change’?

FounDit wrote:
No...

Okay. So you weren’t referring to Fyfe, Gillett and Zwiers – the authors of the paper you presented as evidence – when you claimed that ‘not all scientists agree with anthropogenic climate change’ and they were not who you meant when you said ‘I even provided some on the page you linked to.’

I’ve now thoroughly read, rather than scanned, both of the threads I linked to and the only other scientists you mention are Keith Idso who has Ph.D. in Botany and his brother, Craig Idso, who has a Ph.D. in Geography; both of the Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change

In plain and simple English, are these the scientists that evidence your claim that ‘not all scientists agree with anthropogenic climate change’?

Neither of the Idso boys have published a single peer reviewed paper on climate change. And neither actually deny climate change is real either; their main contention – in self published articles, roundly rejected by most scientists in the field – is that rising CO2 levels will have mainly positive environmental effects… because, rather simplistically, plants like CO2.

FounDit wrote:
… that paper was to simply show that global warming has been overestimated by the anthropogenic climate change believers. That overestimation fact was stated in the very first sentence. Perhaps you shouldn't scan, but read more carefully.

I said I scanned the thread (you read more carefully Not talking ). I read the paper thoroughly at the time. And at the time, in that thread, I explained in great detail why that paper is not the smoking gun you, climate denial blogs and bogus scientific ‘institutes’ claim it is, and why Fyfe, Gillett and Zwiers, the authors of the ‘evidence’ you provided, remain convinced that anthropogenic climate change is a real and present threat… this was the point that you really began to avoid addressing my argument and switched to questioning my grasp of English. Then I gave up.

In short your use of that paper as ‘evidence’ is like dismissing all the evidence for the harmful effects of cancer because the melanoma on a patients arm did not grow as much as the doctors predicted.

The overwhelming and unequivocal consensus on climate change is not based solely on models (and certainly not a particular set of land models that Fyfe et al were addressing). The consensus is based on the whole picture and all the evidence.
Besides, if you are just claiming that we don’t know what will happen in the future because climate models are inaccurate, then it is just as valid to argue that the models may be vastly underestimating. The precautionary principle alone would support the scientific, political and economic consensus.

For the record, past modelling has in fact been observed to be very accurate year on year.

If you would like to reopen that thread – I think it’s unfair on others to continue it here – I’d be more than happy.

FounDit wrote:
Okay. The political Left believes in anthropogenic climate change. People who agree with them agree with the political Left. Ergo, they can be said to be "lefties". If you have trouble with that logic, I don't know that I can be of any more help than this.

So every nation on the planet (except USA, Syria and Nicaragua), the overwhelming majority of the scientific community and just about every multi-national corporation (including ExxonMobil) are, according to you, Lefties?

That’s an awfully big pigeon hole Eh? . With respect, have you ever considered that you might be harbouring some deep seated prejudice against society as a whole?

FounDit previously wrote:
So the fact that they believe is no proof at all.


In reply I wrote:
This is not how things work, you might want to brush up on your epistemology


FounDit wrote:
But you just said that is how it works. They were told, and they believed!

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Do you go and get yourself a degree in aeronautical engineering before you are willing to board a plane? If a politician, nurse, plumber or any layman says they have cancer, then would you say it is ‘no proof at all’ that they do, because they were told so by an oncologist, and they believed?

This is not how knowledges works. This again is the conflation of trust based on evidence, with faith in the absence of evidence. The level of logic and reasoning by some members on this site is lamentable.

Your further response to my accusation of ad hominem is further ad hominem. If you think that helps, carry on by all means.


.
will
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 11:26:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/29/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 4,149
Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread further... I’ve put this in a separate post because the reason I chipped in originally was to point out that FounDit was using sophistry as a diversion from addressing the arguments and blaming everyone and anyone else for the chaos that ensues.

And here is a perfect example:

I wrote:
The idea that it is in the best interest of every nation on the planet, from oil rich Saudi Arabia to coal dependant India, to radically change the CO2 producing culture that currently underpins every aspect of our lives, for no good reason other than some global Leftist ideology, is frankly absurd.

FounDit wrote:
Finally! I agree. We shouldn't change our current culture for no good reason - at least not until we have solid evidence that requires it. And faith is not evidence.


I say 'to do x, y and z for no good reason would be frankly absurd'

FounDit replies 'Ha! So you agree it’s for no good reason.'

This is plain stupid, or at least inexcusable from a person who so frequently accuses others of misinterpreting his words.

I doubt anyone (please correct me if I'm wrong), even with English as a second language, would read that the way you, FounDit, chose to. In the context of everything else I have written, is it not reasonable, and more intellectually honest, to conclude that I am clearly saying x,y and z are done, quite sensibly, for good reason?

This is why many attempts at intelligent debate with you are so often frustratingly pointless. I don’t understand what you personally get out of doing it. It certainly doesn’t strengthen your position.


.
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 11:47:13 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 172,118
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
And this is how the deniers win. FD is not looking for information. FD is not participating in any discussion. FD is regurgitating all over our nice thread and walking away, chuckling because FD knows that for every juicy little morsel he has left, there will be many hours of writing and searches that will go into rebuttals. None of which will make any difference because FD is not reading them and doesn't care what anyone else thinks about this. FD will pick bits and pieces of a reply to make some inane remark, but nothing to further the discussion.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 11:55:07 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 172,118
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Meanwhile, back in Minnesota, Prince's music videos are back and it looks like his music will become more available. While alive, Prince was very protective of his music and there were many high profile situations where he demanded the take down of videos containing snippets of his work.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/07/08/princes-music-videos-are-back-online


Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 12:25:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 8,158
Neurons: 43,559
Wow, my last post must have been extremely effective and convincing at establishing a shadow of a doubt. Well, we can’t have that can we? So a list of believer–inspired links follow to erase any doubt anyone might have. It’s kind of like a religious believer referring folks to seminary sites to prove their faith is justified — interesting.

As to your question, Will:
“Are you being deliberately obtuse? Do you go and get yourself a degree in aeronautical engineering before you are willing to board a plane? If a politician, nurse, plumber or any layman says they have cancer, then would you say it is ‘no proof at all’ that they do, because they were told so by an oncologist, and they believed?

Well, no to the first one because we’ve had evidence for over 100 years that planes can fly and carry passengers. And no to the second because an oncologist can also provide evidence via X-rays, MRI’s, or CAT scans.

Will wrote:

I say 'to do x, y and z for no good reason would be frankly absurd'

FounDit replies 'Ha! So you agree it’s for no good reason.'

This is plain stupid, or at least inexcusable from a person who so frequently accuses others of misinterpreting his words.


And once again, you did exactly that — you misinterpreted my words. I said I agreed with YOU , and you call me stupid. That comment says volumes about your ability to hold a discussion, if we can even call this by that name.

If this is your idea of logical arguing, we’ll never get anywhere. Of course, we won’t anyway because you can’t provide any proof that humans are responsible for any warming of the planet. If you choose to live your life in fear of some imaginary future apocalypse, okay, but I choose not to do that. I’ll wait for evidence.

The planet goes through cycles of cooling and warming with no regard to the creatures living on it. If nature shifted and covered Canada in a glacier, there is nothing we could do about it. If pressure increased inside the Earth causing hundreds of volcanos to erupt and fill the atmosphere with toxic gases, there is nothing we could do about it. In relation to the Earth, we are an ant on an elephant’s butt.

And progpen, it isn’t a matter of winning, although I know you guys see it that way. You can’t stand the idea someone may not agree with you, so you have to “beat” them into submission.

JJ posted some cute pics of people enjoying the snow wearing bikini’s. I made a teasing remark because of my disbelief in human caused climate change, a position that anyone who has been a member for any length of time knows that I hold. I even put the tongue-in-cheek emoticon to show I was simply teasing.

But you all couldn’t let that stand, could you? You had to assault my opinion, I suppose lest someone actually be exposed to an opinion you don't agree with. All you had to do to avoid all this was simply let my jesting comment stand, and nothing more would have been said of it. But differences of opinion are apparently not to be tolerated, are they?



A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 12:33:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 172,118
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
FounDit wrote:
And progpen, it isn’t a matter of winning, although I know you guys see it that way. You can’t stand the idea someone may not agree with you, so you have to “beat” them into submission.


Not about beating anyone. That is entirely you. Projecting your own requirements on others is how you have operated on these forums. Are we to assume that this is no longer the case?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 12:37:44 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 172,118
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
Gay Pride Parade and our Prime Minister Trudeau.



Every time I hear him speak or see how he interacts with other world leaders, I gain even more respect for the guy.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 6:39:56 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I do believe it was JJ's intent to get a conversation going about climate change.

If I disagree with ANYONE on the forum in a topic I feel strongly about, I am going to say so by presenting excellent researched facts in my arguments. As have other posters on this thread. That's what a debate is.

I don't understand, FD, why you feel that Is "assaulting your opinion", which is where we always end up - and that feeling of yours is definitely YOUR problem. I am promoting MY opinion, not assaulting yours. As are other posters.

No one is stopping you from from presenting more arguments to bolster your opinion, instead of attacking us for rebutting yours when you find yourself out gunned with facts well presented, which is what always seems to happen.

Also, we can't help it if you are really the only one on the forum who is a skeptic who wants to make that known. (the same as your country's leader was 1 vs 19 at the G20) That is your problem too.

BTW, you mentioned a couple of times that WE know how you feel and should have understood your comment. Well, YOU know how I feel and also that it was my Canadian neighbors in trouble. Why didn't YOU think of those two facts BEFORE you decided to "tease"? But I do, thank you FD for posting your comment allowing me to take advantage of it to further the discussion about climate change - you didn't know it but that is exactly what I did. Angel No way I would let an opportunity like that go.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 6:50:34 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Progpen here's the "Meanwhile in Canada" photo again. I think he's great and is doing a good job, but the Conservatives are bitching that he takes too many selfies with his fans.

A wee bit of sour grapes about his being photogenic, perhaps?



And they say his government is not working fast enough to solve problems, especially that of the Indigenous People. How many hundred years has that been happening and they want it solved in a year because he's the first one to really try! He also raised taxes on the wealthy - although I think he set the level too low - one is not wealthy earning $200,000 and losing half in taxes when average house costs in Toronto and BC are well over a million dollars.



Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 7:43:20 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan




Meanwhile in Tanzania











Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 8:17:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Nice one, Almo.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 8:19:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,451
Neurons: 141,822
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

Talking of selfies . . . I don't agree with every policy of Nicola Sturgeon, but you must admit her term as First Minister has been productive.




One thing which really stood out before the last election - The Scottish Nationalist Party sent out fliers stating their policies; what they planned to do about Education, Finance, Health etc.
-The Scottish Labour and Conservative & Unionist Parties sent out fliers saying "We don't want the SNP to win". No policies, no future plans, just "Stop the SNP".




Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 8:39:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan



I had an impression that Nicola Sturgeon was conservative and really a patriotic woman like William Wallace.



Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 9:33:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Drago, so Scotland voted to remain in the EU but now with voting against Sturgeon, they have voted to remain in the UK? I saw an article saying the SNP didn't achieve anything, yet that looks like a pretty good list.

:::

This is the other photo that was deleted by mistake.



Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 10:56:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
We watched a couple of Rick Steve travel shows this afternoon and in the last one he went from Gibraltar to Tangier. I was curious about the place, searched for photos of “Meanwhile in Tangier, Morrocco” - and came up with a video of it raining there in August 2016. I assumed they were complaining because it is supposed to be the dry season in summer.

But the photos that came up were of an island I didn't know existed, Tangier Island, Virginia, USA where the islanders dispute climate change. And along with those was a photo of Hatteras Island which is in North Carolina, USA. I guess they had grouped them together because of damage.

So meanwhile in Tangier, Virginia, USA.








Meanwhile on Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA.



Meanwhile in British Columbia - http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/07/3000-ordered-to-evacuate-ahead-of-bc-wildfire



However, I searched for nicer photos of Tangier, Morocco, and although I can’t read the language, that is supposed to be the location of this gorgeous photo. Just a little less depressing. Whistle

So Meanwhile in Tangier, Morocco.



Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
almo 1
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 3:46:17 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan



Meanwhile in WrestleMania in 1987


/2016/03/hulk-hogan-andre-the-giant-wrestlemania












Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 11:45:34 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,451
Neurons: 141,822
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi almo! The word 'Conservative' in Britain has two meanings really.
Someone who is conservative (with a small letter 'c') does not like a lot of change, 'keep things as they are', 'don't rock the boat'.
The Conservative Party (or in Scotland, the Conservative and Unionist Party) are right-wing, nationalistic, "Tax the poor and pay the rich" types. Not much more than a hundred years ago, this party (under another name) supported "only men who own land should be allowed to vote" (no women, no working people, not even the middle classes at the time). It is the Aristocrat's party.

So Nicola Sturgeon is occasionally somewhat conservative (by character) but not often, and is definitely not Conservative!

Hi Hope!
I understand why it might be confusing, it seems rather illogical to me . . .

The basic facts are these.
There was a referendum of people living in Scotland asking "Should Scotland be an independent country?"
This actually meant 'separate from England, Wales and Northern Ireland, politically' (not as trading countries).
55% voted "No" and 45% voted "Yes".


Later, there was a referendum in the whole UK asking "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" (Again, this is political secession. Not to say that the UK would not trade with Europe, but that the UK would no longer be under the Federal Government of the EU.)
Across the whole UK, 51.9% voted 'Leave' and 48.1% voted 'Stay'.
However, counting only Scottish votes, it was 62% 'Stay' and 38% 'Leave'.
Every city and county in Scotland (counted individually) showed a 'Stay' majority.


So basically, Scotland voted 55:45 to stay in the UK, but overwhelmingly voted to stay in the EU. But the UK is leaving the EU - so there's a conflict.

This year there was a general election for Parliament.
SNP won 35 Scottish seats
Conservative won 13
Labour won 7
Liberal Democrats won 4.


So Scotland did not 'vote against Sturgeon' - She (as leader of the SNP) won by 35:24.



Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almo 1
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 10:35:16 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan




Thanks for the explanation, Drag0nspeaker!







Meanwhile in 13th-century Scotland(in film):









Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 11:52:48 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,451
Neurons: 141,822
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 3:49:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 828
Neurons: 360,033
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
Oh dear. FD, I'm on holiday for a week and I come back to find nothing's changed. You desperately cry out for evidence like hungry man at a buffet, too lazy to grab the food that's been offered him.

FounDit wrote:
Because she really didn't answer my questions, but chose to shift the topic to pigeon-holing..


I've stated on multiple occasions in this thread that I wasn't arguing climate change here. I've quoted and pointed out that I take issue with your style of debate. Hope spelled it out for you and even Will addressed it but for some reason you still can't see what's right in front of you.

So no, I'm not shifting the topic from your question. Wait, let me help you and quote it for you. You do so love your evidence after all:

Lotje1000 wrote:
Agreeing to disagree might be a lot more successful without shoving people into stereotyped boxes. It'll also help your credibility.


This is me telling you you're pigeon-holing people, long before you asked your question. This is not me talking about climate change. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be so I'll paraphrase to try to alleviate all doubt:

Unrelated to my stance regarding climate change and its origins, I, Lotje1000, think you, FounDit, pigeon-hole people. This means that I think you apply stereotypes to them so you can more easily dismiss what they have to say. I believe this is plainly obvious to people in this thread so I believe those actions detract from any point you are trying to make on the subject of a debate.

I believe that if you engaged in debate without pigeon-holing people and by starting to actually read and correctly interpret what people have to say, you might stand a better chance at convincing people to see things your way.
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:47:05 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan






Meanwhile in Sweden





abc.net.au/news/2016-01-11





Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:56:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the explanation, Drago. I guess the Scottish want a whole country even if it is not in the EU. I guess what I read was that her numbers were down. I don't remember details now.

Anyhow, the UK will always be our and my friend so good luck with EU negotiations so that all countries get most of what they want.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:03:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 38,304
Neurons: 265,027
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland



In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:25:32 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 26,451
Neurons: 141,822
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom

It rained an' it rained for a fortneet,
It covered the 'ole countryside.
It rained an' it kept on rainin'
Till t'Irwell were forty miles wide.

It rained an' it never stopped rainin'
Till folks up to t'roofs 'ad t'climb.
They said it were t'rottenest summer
That Bury 'ad 'ad fer some time.


Quoted from "Three-'appence a Foot" by Marriott Edgar (written in an approximation of a Lancashire dialect)




Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 11:46:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

It rained an' it rained for a fortneet,
It covered the 'ole countryside.
It rained an' it kept on rainin'
Till t'Irwell were forty miles wide.

It rained an' it never stopped rainin'
Till folks up to t'roofs 'ad t'climb.
They said it were t'rottenest summer
That Bury 'ad 'ad fer some time.


Quoted from "Three-'appence a Foot" by Marriott Edgar (written in an approximation of a Lancashire dialect)




Applause Applause Applause




Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 4:21:10 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
In Landmark Move, GOP Congress Calls Climate Change ‘Direct Threat’ to Security


“Foreign Policy” article.

“One study last year found that rising oceans threaten 128 (USA) military installations on the coasts, including naval facilities worth around $100 billion.”

The study is by the Union of Concerned Scientists of the USA. I did not see the study but found their website.

Union of Concerned Scientists

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 11:29:13 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
JJ, are you a wine or beer man, or both?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/global-warming-wine-1.4202964




Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Hope123
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:42:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Sorry but Photobucket deleted most of my photos saying I need to pay $35.00 a month for the amount of third party hosting I was doing for TFD. So I just deleted my account and all photos on TFD will be deleted in a couple of days. Photobucket was getting to be a pain anyhow with stepping up all the ads every few seconds and some of the ads you could not make go away without exiting Photobucket and signing in again.

So no more pix unless I can find another free site that is easy to navigate.

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
Y111
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:48:21 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 6/25/2017
Posts: 49
Neurons: 237
Location: Kurgan, Kurgan, Russia
Hope123 wrote:

Oh, so we will see Siberian wines some day. In the meantime, this summer is rather cool. Where is that global warming when you need it?
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:35:15 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 6,388
Neurons: 37,857
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Y111 wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

Oh, so we will see Siberian wines some day. In the meantime, this summer is rather cool. Where is that global warming when you need it?


It's called climate change. Whistle Whistle Whistle

Some people in Southern Ontario are complaining about all the rain this spring and summer. I don't care except that I hope the farmers can get their crops grown.

Hope you get some warmer weather, Y111!

Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. -James Baldwin, writer
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:00:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 684
Neurons: 3,032
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan




Today in Tokyo




Crazy Hail Storm




Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.