mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The correct way to drink water Options
srkdr68
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:47:49 AM

Neurons: 312
The Correct Way To Drink Water
By Dr. Willie T. Ong

1. Drink water when you wake up. Your body loses water while you sleep, so drink a glass before you go to sleep, and another glass when you wake up. You are naturally thirsty or dehydrated in the morning. Drinking water in the morning helps flush out the toxins that have accumulated all night.

2. Drink 8 to 12 glasses a day. According to the Mayo Clinic, a 120-pound individual needs 8 cups of water a day, while a 190-pound person would require 12 cups daily. Dr. Robert Tanchanco says that we should monitor our urine color and keep it on the light side. However, drink only a maximum of 16 glasses a day, and not more.

3. Drink little by little throughout the day. It is preferable to sip water throughout the day rather than to drink two glasses all at once. This will lessen the stress on the heart (especially if you have heart disease) and give your body more time to absorb it.

4. Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you're probably already 2 glasses below your normal water needs. Elderly people are also less sensitive to the body's need for water.

5. Drink water, not soft drinks, alcohol or coffee. Some experts believe that tea, sodas and coffee can be potentially dehydrating. Moreover, the high phosphorus and sugar content in cola drinks can lead to conditions like osteoporosis and diabetes. One study shows that adults who drank six cups of coffee daily experienced mild dehydration. Drinking alcohol is much worse because it actually dehydrates you by making you urinate a lot.

6. Train children to drink water. Set a good example to your kids and drink water together. Make sure that children drink enough water when they're active. Pack a large bottled water in their lunch box.

7. Drink more when it's hot. People living in hot climates like the Philippines need to drink more water. They are more prone to develop kidney stones compared to those living in cooler regions.

8. Drink more as you exercise. When you exercise, you need to drink more water to compensate for fluid loss. Go for an extra 500 ml of water for a 30-minute to 1-hour exercise. Eating a banana also helps keep your potassium up.

9. Drink more when you're sick. Even though you don't feel like it, you really need to drink more water to help your body recover from various infections. If you're dehydrated, you'll feel much worse.

10. Drink more if you're pregnant. Women who are expecting or breast-feeding need additional fluids to stay hydrated. The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 10 cups of fluids daily and women who breast-feed take in about 13 cups of fluids a day.
~~~
http://www.altwaters.com/

kamrad
Aid-e
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:40:26 PM

Neurons: 1,797
Water is life.
Thanx! srk Applause

True love can alter human lives..
Christine
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:23:42 PM

Neurons: 15,842
9. Drink more when you're sick. Even though you don't feel like it, you really need to drink more water to help your body recover from various infections. If you're dehydrated, you'll feel much worse.

Yes! My niece was only 20 when she had a fatal heart stop. She was pregnancy and she thought the all-day-sick was morning sickness. She collapsed on the bathroom floor wherefore she blocked the door. Very sad. Water could saved her.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

mailady
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:51:14 PM

Neurons: 2,752
Well,I gotta tell ya....This is one mailady who isn't drinking anything after a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Water in=water out. There are no "ladies rooms" on my mail route and I am way too old (and fat) to be looking for a bush to hide behind. I do try to drink water in the evening,but I don't want to be up all night either.
Yakcal
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:03:35 PM

Neurons: 23,321
Having grown up in the Sonoran desert (southern Arizona)I know about the importance of staying well hydrated. Living there will teach you that water can be a 'do or die' subject.

Newcomers to the more arid regions of the world should know that one of the first organs to recognize dehydration is the brain. A slight, persistent headache is, often, the first sign of dehydration.

One other thing to keep in mind is that, as stated in #3, it is better to sip throughout the day than gulp a large quantity all at once.

While ill, water alone is not sufficient. Electrolyte replacement is essential at those times.

Water is truly the fluid of life!

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde
Casper
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:36:43 PM

Neurons: 396
7. Drink more when it's hot. People living in hot climates like the Philippines need to drink more water. They are more prone to develop kidney stones compared to those living in cooler regions.

This is really true. I have friends who drink alcohol all the time and they end up having a kidney problem at a very young age. Get me out of here! It's hot even when it's raining. You really have to take a bath 2-3 times a day. And of course, we drink water most of the time and because of that we get to visit the bathroom every chance we get.

Look within and face the world. In the mirror of relationships are secrets to be unfurled. Wherever you go, there you are. You are fearless -Deepak Chopra
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:54:49 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Don´t forget booze now and then...
TL Hobs
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:15:29 PM

Neurons: 5,531
jcbarros wrote:
Don´t forget booze now and then...

Glad that you brought that up. I like my water at 20 degrees F (7C) and completely submerged in a glass of Jack Daniels Bourbon Whiskey at least twice a day. Eh?

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
antonio
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 2:46:17 AM

Neurons: 2,110
Casper wrote:

This is really true. I have friends who drink alcohol all the time and they end up having a kidney problem at a very young age. Get me out of here! It's hot even when it's raining. You really have to take a bath 2-3 times a day. And of course, we drink water most of the time and because of that we get to visit the bathroom every chance we get.

One of the reason why your friend developed a kidney stone because he abused his body. There are some other factors why a person can develop kidney stones. salty foods, softdrinks, chips, unhealthy lifestyle, smoking ciggarete and those foods which is rich in cholesterol. If your friend is really addicted to an alcohol, he'll likely can get a colon cancer or diseases in the colon. Advise him/her to exercise and be positive in life. Visiting rehab to treat the alcohol problem is an option also. Advise your friend to be healthy and enlighten him that if he'll continue he's addiction, he might lost his life.

^_^

You can do anything, but not everything. —David Allen
srirr
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 2:55:29 AM

Neurons: 283,907
10 points in OP's post.

I religiously follow all these points. Oops! I mean only first 9 points. I haven't experienced pregnancy, and I hope I'll never. :)

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
pedro
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 4:07:09 AM

Neurons: 61,367
Beer is as good, better some would say.

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
intelfam
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 8:00:16 AM

Neurons: 3,284
Yakcal wrote:

Newcomers to the more arid regions of the world should know that one of the first organs to recognize dehydration is the brain. A slight, persistent headache is, often, the first sign of dehydration.

So true, I can recall having a cycling coach continually drumming it into me "When you feel thirsty, it's already too late"

I have a kidney stone, don't know how old but it won't respond to anything short of surgery. I am hanging on to it, it is mine, after all. The consultant tell me that it is of a type caused by long term, sub acute, dehydration.

Then Casper wrote: " I have friends who drink alcohol all the time and they end up having a kidney problem at a very young age".

Maybe you have the answer! Even the small content of alcohol in beer results in dehydration - and I had a misspent youth. Ah, the wages of sin.

antonio wrote: "There are some other factors why a person can develop kidney stones". Yup, and the medics and researchers can only tell you why some folk, in some places get stone disease, but not why others whose lifestyle and geography are the same. have no probs at all! It's an unfair world...

"The voice of the majority is no proof of justice." - Schiller
Glendalough
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 6:55:36 PM

Neurons: 3
Oh, please everyone, check your facts. Some suggestions need clarification or if followed as posted, an unwell person doing as suggested will likely not improve. As to the beer, I hope that was a jest. Beer is an excellent diuretic as you drinkers must realize. Wake with a hangover and a [powerful thirst. Beer hasn't helped your fluid balance much.
Always seek input from your medical doctor before making drastic adjustments to your fluid intake, esp if you have a diagnosis of hypertension, pulmonary edema, swelling of the extremities, treatment of closed head injuries, etc.

The likely reason for the kidney stones in drinkers is dehydration: alcohol acts as a diuretic and sends to the toilet. Chemicals inthe blood/urine become more concentrated, may form crystals in the kidney tubules, and viola, a free Budweiser kidney stone.

Also, is NOT TOO LATE to increase fluid intake when you become thirsty. If you don't take in fluids, you will become more and more dehydrated and then it will truly be too late. RIP.
intelfam
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 7:56:45 PM

Neurons: 3,284
Glendalough wrote:

Also, is NOT TOO LATE to increase fluid intake when you become thirsty. If you don't take in fluids, you will become more and more dehydrated and then it will truly be too late. RIP.

Yes, thanks for picking me up on that. He did say "too late" (and he was right) but, in the context in which I said it, I didn't feel I needed to post what he meant, which was - it is too late to prevent the inevitable cramp which follows on from minor dehydration - and those painful legs when you wake up in the morning after the race on the previous day. Yes, "too late" meaning too late, if you want to win the race. That's why you will see, when cycle racing is on TV, that the riders only take a quick swig. It's because they have been advised to drink on a schedule - even though they don't actually feel thirsty.

"The voice of the majority is no proof of justice." - Schiller
kingfisher
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:00:41 PM

Neurons: 633
Sorry, but a lot of this stuff is garbage. Old wives' tales.

I'm especially amazed at the strength and long life of two ideas that I consider ridiculous: 1) that you have to drink a proscribed amount of water each day, and 2) that by the time you sense thirst you are already dehydrated.

Both ideas are bunk.

Whether you are a creationist or believe in evolution, why would we have a faulty mechanism for maintaining proper hydration? Thirst is the natural way of knowing when one needs to drink. It is not a flawed system. It works just fine.

Forcing oneself to drink "x number" of glasses of water a day is also hooey. Any liquid you drink is mostly water, and all mostly-water drinks hydrate your body, contrary to popular belief.
GeorgeV
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:41:57 PM

Neurons: 2,410
Beside coffee I hardly ever drink other (non-alcoholic) drinks, so coming across this http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/how-much-water-should-i-drink--5-myths-about-hydration-answered.html pleased me greatly.

Brain-washing starts in the cradle. - Arthur Koestler
Nish
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:21:17 PM

Neurons: 1,136
Water is so precious!

It's my life and yours as well!

I can't imagine life without WATER!

Water Please! he he he

Thanks!

Yes, God is to be feared, but God is love.
HarveySmith
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:50:00 AM

Neurons: 30
The Correct Way to Drink Water:
1.Drink water when you wake up. Your body loses water while you sleep, so drink a glass before you go to sleep and another glass when you wake up. You are naturally thirsty or dehydrated in the morning. Drinking water in the morning helps flush out the toxins that have accumulated all night.
2. Drink 8 to 12 glasses a day.
3. Drink little by little throughout the day. It is preferable to sip water throughout the day rather than to drink two glasses all at once. This will lessen the stress on the heart and give your body more time to absorb it.
4. Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you are probably already two glasses below your normal water needs.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:49:08 AM

HarveySmith wrote:

4. Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink water. By the time you feel thirsty, you are probably already two glasses below your normal water needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Shivanand
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:11:36 AM

Neurons: 223,754
@srirr, you are pregnant with ideas! #10 applies to you too!! Cheers!

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन। मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भूर्मा ते संगोऽस्त्वकर्मणि॥
Margarit Bamllari
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:04:15 AM

Neurons: 725
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."

Your body will tell you how much water it needs.

STRENGTH IS BUILT FROM ONES FAILURES NOT FROM ONES SUCCESSES –COCO CHANEL
Diablo
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:05:25 AM

Neurons: 54
A quote attributed to the inimitable WC Fields:

["Never Drink Water..Fish F*#k in it!"

By the way Kingfisher has a point. Many of the ten points that are listed in SRK's OP and the four of his points inexplicably repeated by Harvey SmithEh? ....have been brought in to question recently.
The links George V and Pedro posted are some of the most recent.

A few cups of coffee, a few beers and even the occasional JD (Although TL I prefer Jamiesons, Bushmills or a single malt...(hold the water!!!!) may actually be beneficial....
All in moderation if possible....including water!!!!

The point about electrolytes is probably not given enough importance here...
If you are active in a hot environment you will lose fluid rapidly. That perspiration takes electrolytes like sodium from your body....If you dont replace it that will cause a series of biological stresses on all your muscles including your heart and it will upset the balance of sodium/pottasium between extracelluar and intra-cellular fluids throughout the body including the brain.....ordinary tap water ussualy contains some electrolytes...

Some symptoms such as cramping, nausea, headaches, disorientation can occur...In extreme cases unconciousness, heart failure, coma ...and death may result...

It is true that alcohol and caffeine are diuretics....for example if Mailady has a glass of water 15 mins before her first coffee then waits 10 mins to pee before leaving the house she will likely improve her hydration and not have to stop any more often than if she had skipped the water.

Alcohol and water
If One paces their alcoholic drinks, punctuating their imbibing with the consumption of water occasionally ....hangovers and morning after headaches are a lot less prevalent...

The added bonus is that you ussually keep your BAC (Blood Alcohol levels) lower over the whole night...Try it you might be surprised at the benefits...

Oh and another point....I recommend this:
It is best to clean the teeth and brush the tongue and expectorate, then rinse, before consuming anything else in the morning...there are some Naturopaths and Yogis who will advise you that this is one of the most important de-toxes you should do.....

Another tip I recommend is to then consume a small glass of pure dilute lemon juice or apple cider vinegar..(The LJ is more palatable for me) immediately after your morning mouth ablutions and prior to ingestion of anything further...i.e. glass of water or/and breakfast. I cant actually back the LJ drink with evidence based scientific trials (I dont think anyones bothered to study it scientifically!!!! but it works for me..

Why do ghouls and demons hang out together? Because demons are a ghoul’s best friend
RubyMoon
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 11:02:17 PM

Neurons: 4,834
Diablo-- if you ever pass by here again you ought to explain why drinking too much water is dangerous.

You didn't give mailady good advice.
Maybe explain that one needs a minimum of 500mg of NaCl per day, and why.

There's a lot of important information about water-balance, kidney function and urination that you left out.

HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 11:29:12 PM

Neurons: 9,763
The correct way:

When conscious: orally.

Unconscious: intraveinous drip.

Another problem solved!

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Margarit Bamllari
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:19:09 AM

Neurons: 725
EU officials concluded that, following a three-year investigation, there was no evidence to prove the previously undisputed fact.
Producers of bottled water are now forbidden by law from making the claim and will face a two-year jail sentence if they defy the edict, which comes into force in the UK next month.

For more:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8897662/EU-bans-claim-that-water-can-prevent-dehydration.html

STRENGTH IS BUILT FROM ONES FAILURES NOT FROM ONES SUCCESSES –COCO CHANEL
GeorgeV
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:20:13 PM

Neurons: 2,410
Just came across the following in
Dr. Joe Schwarcz: THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT
70 Fascinating Commentaries on the Science of Everyday Life

BOTTLED OR TAP? p. 50-51
"...As far as I can tell, it can be traced back to 1945 when
US National Academy (NAS) recommended that people consume
roughly 1 milliliter of water for every calorie taken in.
Accordingly, a 2,000-calorie intake would require about
2 liters of water, the equivalent of about eight glasses.

How the NAS came to this conclusion is a matter of some mystery,
and the eight-glass-per-day guideline has never been scientifically
validated. It has, however, become a "fact" just by the process of
repetition. I should point out that the NAS never suggested that we go
out of our way to drink eight glasses every day. The recommendation
clearly stated that most of the water we need is contained in the foods
and beverages that we normally consume."

Brain-washing starts in the cradle. - Arthur Koestler
Blooper
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:06:15 AM

Neurons: 2,292
Many muslims that I know, only drink 0-3 glass of water (3-6 glasses of other liquid) during ramadhan. Of course 13-18 hours a day without eat or drink. Also consider that South/South East Asia, Mid East, North/West Africa where many muslims exist, have higher temperature than other areas on earth.
Never heard any dehydration reports.

"Wherever ye are, death will find you out, even if ye are in towers built up strong and high!" (An-Nisa':78)
dingdong
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 10:23:00 AM

Neurons: 3,370
Casper wrote:

I live in the Philippines, and drink a lot of tea. I notice the locals (I'm English) don't carry water bottles around, so I assume they drink their water out-of-sight.
In supermarkets they buy a hell of a lot of soft drinks.
Bathroom? Ha! The idea of going to a bathroom means peeing at the roadside; men, that is. I have to do it myself, sometimes, but ensure I have privacy behind a bush or tree.
Blooper
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:19:54 PM

dingdong wrote:
Casper wrote:

I live in the Philippines, and drink a lot of tea. I notice the locals (I'm English) don't carry water bottles around, so I assume they drink their water out-of-sight.
Bathroom? Ha! The idea of going to a bathroom means peeing at the roadside; men, that is. I have to do it myself, sometimes, but ensure I have privacy behind a bush or tree.

You do it? Ha..
Never heard a westerner does is before. Although it's pretty usual for local people here (Kalimantan).

I work around farmers on paddy field and I notice they rarely drink water. They drink tea and coffee.

"Wherever ye are, death will find you out, even if ye are in towers built up strong and high!" (An-Nisa':78)
Blooper
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:21:02 PM

dingdong wrote:
Casper wrote:

Klaas V
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 11:17:12 PM

Neurons: 4,802
Water doet de palen rotten
Die het drinken zijn zotten

This little rhyme means something like this: Water's destroying rocks, only fools drink it.

With maybe the exception of the unasked there just isn't such thing available as a dumb question - Z4us
wiley22
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:07:16 AM

Neurons: 6
Importance of water:-
1)Water serves as a lubricant Dehydration color chart
2)Water forms the base for saliva
3)Water forms the liquids that surround the actual joints.
4)Water regulates your body heat, because the air conditioning & heating is shipped via perspiration.
5)Water allows you relieve irregularity by shifting food with the digestive tract and thereby getting rid of waste - the very best detox agent.
6)Water helps you to control metabolism
RubyRousse
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:23:06 PM

Neurons: 448
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.

~ W. C. Fields
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:52:54 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Dont put it with good whiskey, it tastes like medicine, only over ice.
pedro
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 8:14:16 AM

How not to drink water correctly;