The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Fine vs Penalty: a contextual word choice Options
prof_question
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 7:17:11 AM

Neurons: 494
Hi, could you help me, please? 3 weeks ago I completed my research article on a notion of goodwill and was corrected by the editors on the case of use a particular term "fine" in the context of my statements. It looked like: "One of the conditions of improving of domestic banks` reputation and competitiveness is to provide a legal framework for the assessment of business reputation and determination of goodwill. Therefore, there is a real need for the following step: to increase existing amount of fines, fixed in Art. 1643 of The Code of Administrative Offenses in Ukraine, and add the obligatory compensation for damages in proportion to the economic benefits that the bank has not received as a result of unlawful actions of third parties". I was offered to use a word "penalties" instead of "fines". Is there any ooportunity to proove my word choice? Or is it really inappropriate within the following context?
Thanks in advance Think
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 8:44:04 AM

Neurons: 146,892
Well, it sounds like a fine to me.

fine n
1. a certain amount of money exacted as a penalty: a parking fine.
2. (Law) a payment made by a tenant at the start of his tenancy to reduce his subsequent rent; premium

Collins English Dictionary

fine n.
1. a sum of money imposed as a penalty for an offense or dereliction: a parking fine.

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary

Maybe the bank feels that it doesn't sound so bad - they are imposing a penalty, they are not fining their customers.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
coag
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2017 12:01:47 PM

Neurons: 4,680
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Maybe the bank feels that it doesn't sound so bad - they are imposing a penalty, they are not fining their customers.

Drag0nspeaker might be right.

This is what the web site Difference Between.com says.

"A fine refers to a monetary charge or payment imposed upon a person who has been convicted of a crime or minor offence.

A penalty refers to a punitive measure that the law imposes for the performance of an act or for the failure to perform a certain act."
FardinGomz
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:52:37 PM

Neurons: 25
coag wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Drag0nspeaker might be right.

This is what the web site Difference Between.com says.

"A fine refers to a monetary charge or payment imposed upon a person who has been convicted of a crime or minor offence.

A penalty refers to a punitive measure that the law imposes for the performance of an act or for the failure to perform a certain act."

Exactly! I am also thinking about this.