mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

When to use capital letters for the first letter of?[Punctuation] Options
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 6:21:42 PM

Neurons: 8,443
Hi,

As far as I know that I should use capital letters for the first letter of:
1- the first word in a sentence, for example, He studies English.
2- people's names: Nora
3- titles: Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Dr, Professor
4- cities and countries: Turkey, Beijing
5- languages: English
6- the name of schools, college, and companies, International College, Microsoft
7- the first-person singular nominative case personal pronoun

However, while googling for job title 'Physiotherapy', I found it was capitalized in its first letter, although it is not the first word in a sentence, as quoted below:

Quote:

Physiotherapy is a health profession concerned with helping to restore physical well-being to people who are suffering from an injury, pain or disability. ... The Chartered Physiotherapist also utilises prescriptive exercise as a rehabilitative tool to help patients achieve their full potential.

Another googling result:
Quote:
Cure By Nature, London best of complementary medicine
difference between an Osteopath and a Physiotherapist

As a result, I am wondering if all job titles/specialities must be capitalized in their first letters or not wherever they are placed. Or those two quotes above have punctuation mistakes? If not, then I must say:
A Pathologist is a physician who studies body fluids and tissues, helps your primary care doctor make a diagnosis about your health or any medical problems you have, and uses laboratory tests to monitor the health of patients with chronic conditions.

An Orthopedic surgeon is the doctor who deals mainly with the hip area. They also focus on the spine area.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
tunaafi
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:09:02 PM

Neurons: 53,498
I see no reason for any of the initial capitals you highlighted.
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:26:24 PM

tunaafi wrote:
I see no reason for any of the initial capitals you highlighted.

Thanks a lot, tunaafi

Personally, I completely agree with you. However, bear in mind that those initials capitals I highlighted in the two quotes were quoted from internet websites. I only capitalized the ones in the bottom of my thread due to seeing those ones being capitalized.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
NKM
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:57:32 PM

Neurons: 186,106
I would add "names of oceans, seas, rivers, planets, stars and constellations" to the list. Sometimes, too, we capitalize "Nature" and "Heaven".

But "osteopath" and "physiotherapist"? I don't see why, except when actually used as official job titles. (Similar to "Chief Surgeon", for example.)

A cooperator
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 6:54:37 AM

NKM wrote:

But "osteopath" and "physiotherapist"? I don't see why, except when actually used as official job titles. (Similar to "Chief Surgeon", for example.)

Thanks a lot, NKM
Could you possibly give me some examples of official job titles which should be capitalized in their first letters?
A Chief Surgeon
A General Surgeon
A General Practitioner
A General Physician.
The Chartered Physiotherapist

Also, I know the titles: "Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Dr, Professor" must be capitalized in their first letters. However, if I want to let Professor be a singular, then I will need to say 'A Professor'/ A Doctor', where 'A' is capitalized due to the the first word in a sentence.
Full name: John Gray
Personal Title: A Doctor/A Professor
Job titles: A professor of Mathematics.

Besides, I think that "the name of schools, college, and companies, such as International College, Microsoft" must be capitalized in their first letters.
Also, I was told that in British English it is normal to capitalise degree subjects if the full name of the title is used. For example,

A Bachelor of Medicine degree, a Bachelor of Surgery degree, a Master of Medicine degree, a Master of Surgery degree, a Doctorate of Medicine degree, and a Doctorate of Surgery degree.

However, I don't know if I can capitalize the initial letters of the words 'Bachelor/Master/Doctor/Medicine/Surgery' in a Bachelor or Medicine and Surgery degree. A Bachelor degree. A Master degree. A Doctor degree. A Medicine degree. A Surgery degree.

However, I think in "A Bachelor degree/ A Master degree/A Doctor degree/A Medicine degree/ A Surgery degree' would be incorrect to capitalise the first letters of 'Bachelor, Master, Doctor, Medicine, Surgery' since degree subjects are not present.

tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 8:32:41 AM

Neurons: 53,498
A cooperator wrote:

Full name: John Gray
Personal Title: A Doctor/A Professor
Job titles: A professor of Mathematics.

You would not use the indefinite article in a form such as that.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2017 1:07:40 PM

Neurons: 149,104
Quote:
Could you possibly give me some examples of official job titles which should be capitalized in their first letters?

It often depends on the sentence - are you saying the name of the specific post? (which would have capitals) or a job description? (which would not)

What is your job?
I'm the President of the United States.
(a title)
I'm the President of General Motors. (a title)
I'm a company president. (a job description)
I'm a president. (a job description)
I'm the Professor of Nineteenth Century Architecture. (a title)
I'm a university professor. (a job description)
I'm a professor. (a job description)

Quote:
However, I think in "A Bachelor degree/ A Master degree/A Doctor degree/A Medicine degree/ A Surgery degree' would be incorrect to capitalise the first letters of 'Bachelor, Master, Doctor, Medicine, Surgery' since degree subjects are not present.

There does not seem to be a rule.
I agree with you that it seems to make sense to use small letters - but they are normally written as:
A bachelor's degree, a baccalaureate, a master's, a master's degree, a doctorate, a medical degree, a degree in surgery or a surgical degree.
Some people use capitals and others don't.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 4:30:13 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Quote:

It often depends on the sentence - are you saying the name of the specific post? (which would have capitals) or a job description? (which would not)

What is your job?
I'm the President of the United States.
(a title)
I'm the President of General Motors. (a title)
I'm a company president. (a job description)
I'm a president. (a job description)
I'm the Professor of Nineteenth Century Architecture. (a title)
I'm a university professor. (a job description)
I'm a professor. (a job description)

Quote:

There does not seem to be a rule.
I agree with you that it seems to make sense to use small letters - but they are normally written as:
A bachelor's degree, a baccalaureate, a master's, a master's degree, a doctorate, a medical degree, a degree in surgery or a surgical degree.
Some people use capitals and others don't.

Thanks a lot, Drag0nspeaker,
As a comprehensive rule, I can say that I should use capital letters for the first letter of:
6- the names of schools, colleges, and companies, International College, Microsoft
8- The names of religions , A majority of the population (90%) are Muslims.
9- The names of oceans, seas, rivers, planets, stars and constellations" to the list. Sometimes, too, we capitalize "Nature" and "Heaven".
10- The names of Months, and Days.
11- The names of full degrees, a Bachelor of Science, a Master of Computer Science.
12- The names of specialities, Computer Science, Civil Engineering.

A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 10:31:41 PM

Could anyone please at this splendid forum take some of his precious time out to reply to my points below?

As a comprehensive rule, I can say that I should use capital letters for the first letter of:
6- the names of schools, colleges, and companies, International College, Microsoft
8- The names of religions , A majority of the population (90%) are Muslims.
9- The names of oceans, seas, rivers, planets, stars and constellations" to the list. Sometimes, too, we capitalize "Nature" and "Heaven".
10- The names of Months, and Days.
11- The names of full degrees, a Bachelor of Science, a Master of Computer Science.
12- The names of specialities, Computer Science, Civil Engineering.

However, these three points below have capitalization although they are not included in those rules above,
Why do you think 'Authenticated Copy' and 'Certified True Copy' must be capitalized in their first letters?

Also, Why only 'Engineer' is capitalized in 'Your uncle is a petroleum Engineer with Canadian Nexen at Thaba exploring port, Mukalla, Yemen.'

Also, why do you think that 'University' is capitalized in 'There is no online application. You have to send the complete application (DAAD form as well as University form plus all required documents) to the University address by post service'

Audiendus
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 3:04:31 AM

Neurons: 789,922
A few additions that I can think of:

A cooperator wrote:
6- the names of schools, colleges, and companies, International College, Microsoft and other specific buildings/structures and institutions, e.g. the White House, the Golden Gate Bridge, City Hall, the Houses of Parliament, the Football Association, the Constitution
8- The names of religions , A majority of the population (90%) are Muslims. Islam, Christianity, the Church of England etc.
9- The names of oceans, seas, rivers, planets, stars and constellations" to the list. And other geographical features, e.g. Mount Everest, the Cape of Good Hope, the North Pole. Sometimes, too, we capitalize "Nature" and "Heaven". And similar words, such as "Fate", "Hell", "Providence"
10- The names of Months, and Days. (but not the actual words "months" and "days")
12- The names of specialities, Computer Science, Civil Engineering. These are often not capitalized.

However, these three points below have capitalization although they are not included in those rules above,
Why do you think 'Authenticated Copy' and 'Certified True Copy' must be capitalized in their first letters? It is not normal to capitalize these. They are occasionally capitalized for emphasis.

Also, Why only 'Engineer' is capitalized in 'Your uncle is a petroleum Engineer with Canadian Nexen at Thaba exploring port, Mukalla, Yemen.' This is incorrect. If "Petroleum Engineer" is an official job title, both words should be capitalized; otherwise, neither should be.

Also, why do you think that 'University' is capitalized in 'There is no online application. You have to send the complete application (DAAD form as well as University form plus all required documents) to the University address by post service' It is not necessary to capitalize "university". It has probably been capitalized here for emphasis.