The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Friday's allegiance Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 10:54:49 AM

Neurons: 4,192
Quote:
[...] Friday, by his signs, made me understand that they brought over four prisoners to feast upon; that three of them were eaten up, and that he, pointing to himself, was the fourth; that there had been a great battle between them and their next king, of whose subjects, it seems, he had been one, and that they had taken a great number of prisoners [...]

-Robinson Crusoe

Here Friday is saying his country is in a civil war between an old (?) and a new king. The phrase "between them and their next king" seems to indicate Friday being in opposition with the new king. However, the very next part seems to imply he was one of the subjects of the new king.

So which side was Friday on? Was he with the old king or the new king?

Or am I completely wrong here, and Friday is actually a part of a citizen uprising, with no allegiance to the old king, just dissenting the new king?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 11:14:45 AM

Neurons: 144,933
There is a difference between being a subject and being a supporter.

I read this to say that Friday was a subject of "The King" (whichever king happened to be on the throne at that time).

There had been a battle between the two kings and Friday was on the side of the old king.
The 'new king' had won the battle, and so everyone became subject to the new king.
Then Friday had been captured.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!