The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Which are (of) the same grammatical type Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 2:45:57 AM

Neurons: 5,343
Coordinating conjunctions connect items which are the same grammatical type, e.g. words, phrases, clauses. The most common coordinating conjunctions are and, or, but.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/linking-words-and-expressions/conjunctions

Why don't we need preposition "of" before the phrase "the same grammatical type"
Thanks
sureshot
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:04:12 AM

Neurons: 341,864
Jigneshbharati wrote:
Coordinating conjunctions connect items which are the same grammatical type, e.g. words, phrases, clauses. The most common coordinating conjunctions are and, or, but.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/linking-words-and-expressions/conjunctions

Why don't we need preposition "of" before the phrase "the same grammatical type"
Thanks

I note that Jignesh77, Senior Member has asked the same question at:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/which-are-of-the-same-grammatical-type.3324591/

I wish that this aspect had been mentioned in your post together with why you are not satisfied with the response thereon.

"Same" can be used as a pronoun and also as a determiner/adjective. In my view, it is better to use "of" when "same" is being used as a determiner/adjective. However, I would not like to generalise this sentence structure for all cases. The structure "to be verb + of + the same + + (adjective) + noun" appears to be more common than "to be verb + the same + (adjective) + noun". You will note the omission of the preposition "of" in some of the sentences written by various writers. I would term it as individual style.

Here are a few sentences where the construction is "verb + (of) the same + noun"

- My husband is (of) the same age as me.
- His previous computer was (of) the same brand as mine.
- We're (of) the same mind on most political issues.

I hope this helps.

Erhnice
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:09:58 AM

Neurons: 4,314
There is no preposition ["of"] before "type". Take a look at these two questions: (A) What type of person are you? and (B) What type is she? (you wouldn't say *"Of what type ...", right?) The answers would be something like this: I'm the type of person that likes to wake up early, before sunrise; she's the type that hates going to bed early. The sentence structure, therefore, is this: SUBJECT ["which": a relative pronoun that stands for "coordinating conjunctions"] + TO BE [are] + NOMINATIVE PREDICATE [the ... type].

Cosms Taaba
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 10:47:49 AM

Neurons: 138,779
Jigneshbharati wrote:

Thanks

It is better to explain it this way: "...(the)items.. ARE the same grammatical type..." The verb in this relative clause is a LINKING verb (to be), which restates that a noun IS another noun. Noun phrase = noun phrase (not prepositional phrase beginning with 'of'). The 'of' will only come in to separate one noun from another added noun, e.g. The word "items" IS the plural OF "item". Or: ...items which are PHRASES OF the same grammatical type. I hope this helps.

Cosmas.