The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

hallowing aloud Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 12:59:18 AM

Neurons: 3,927
Quote:
[...] I crossed towards the sea; and having a very short cut, and all down hill, placed myself in the way between the pursuers and the pursued, hallowing aloud to him that fled, who, looking back, was at first perhaps as much frightened at me as at them; [...]

-Robinson Crusoe

The only definition of hallow I can find is to worship, and that doesn't seem to fit the context. What does it mean here?
thar
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:01:29 AM

Neurons: 60,904
Ignore the spelling - hear the sound.

"Hallo!!!!"

He is hallo-ing
And when you say that without a break, you have to use a 'w' sound. He just spelt it the way you say it.

Before it became a greeting with its use to answer the telephone ("hello"), it was a shout, hollo, holla, hallo.

Check out the modern American version, the verb "to holler" - hollering, Yelling, calling out to someone.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 4:09:03 AM

Neurons: 190,561
vkhu wrote:
The only definition of hallow I can find is to worship, and that doesn't seem to fit the context. What does it mean here?

The Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe..., by Daniel Defoe. Editor - J. Raw, 1828

Quote:
... I crossed towards the sea, and having a very short cut, and all down-Jjill, placed myself in the way between the pursuers and the pursued, hallooing aloud to him who fled, who, looking back, was at first perhaps as much frighted at me as at them;...

The life and adventures of Robinson Crusoe... by Daniel Defoe. Printed by W. Clowes for T. Kelly, 1822

Quote:
... I crossed towards the sea, and having a very short cut, and all down-Jjill, placed myself in the way between the pursuers and the pursued, holloing aloud to him who fled, who, looking back, was at first perhaps as much frightened at me as at them;...

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.