The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Catherine of Aragon Married by Proxy to Arthur, Prince of Wales (1499) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,051
Catherine of Aragon Married by Proxy to Arthur, Prince of Wales (1499)

Catherine of Aragon is known as the first of King Henry VIII's six wives, but before they were wed, she was married to his older brother Arthur. Catherine was the youngest daughter of Spain's Ferdinand II and Isabella I, and her marriage to Arthur was primarily political. In fact, Arthur and Catherine were married by proxy before they had even met, in a ceremony attended by their representatives. The marriage was short-lived, as Arthur died young. When did Arthur and Catherine finally meet? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 2:11:29 AM

Neurons: 1,973,327
This Day in History
Catherine of Aragon Married by Proxy to Arthur, Prince of Wales (1499)
Catherine of Aragon is known as the first of King Henry VIII's six wives, but before they were wed, she was married to his older brother Arthur. Catherine was the youngest daughter of Spain's Ferdinand II and Isabella I, and her marriage to Arthur was primarily political. In fact, Arthur and Catherine were married by proxy before they had even met, in a ceremony attended by their representatives. The marriage was short-lived, as Arthur died young.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 8:30:42 PM

Neurons: 3,717,542

In a letter from October 1499, Arthur, referring to Catherine as "my dearest spouse", had written:

"I cannot tell you what an earnest desire I feel to see your Highness, and how vexatious to me is this procrastination about your coming. Let [it] be hastened, [that] the love conceived between us and the wished-for joys may reap their proper fruit."[36]

The young couple exchanged letters in Latin until 20 September 1501, when Arthur, having attained the age of 15, was deemed old enough to be married.[37] Catherine landed in England about two weeks later, on 2 October 1501, at Plymouth.[4] The next month, on 4 November 1501, the couple met each other for the first time at Dogmersfield in Hampshire.[38] Arthur wrote to Catherine's parents that he would be "a true and loving husband"; the couple soon discovered that they had mastered different pronunciations of Latin and so were unable to communicate.[39] Five days later, on 9 November 1501, Catherine arrived in London.[25]

On 14 November 1501, the marriage ceremony finally took place at Saint Paul's Cathedral; both Arthur and Catherine wore white satin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur,_Prince_of_Wales#Marriage