The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does this sentence mean? Options
QP
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:16:07 AM

Neurons: 4,796
Dear friends,

In an American movie, a father is scolding his daughter while her mother standing beside her:-

Father: What don't you have? You have a nice house and many servants. I don't know how many people get such a big and expensive piano? She just moves around with her face hanging low.

I don't understand "moves around with her face hanging low". Can anyone please help to explain.

Thank you
QP
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:21:01 PM

Neurons: 3,029
May be she was not interested in all these things. Her preferences may be different, depending upon age. So, in her mind, she may be saying, 'I am not concerned with all these things. I want ....(immense love from my mother, some lovely joyous time with you, my dear father, few moments of affection, a life-long friend, an independent life free from enclosure caged by servants, free air, flowers and... and..and.)

But , in spite of all her wishes she is great to have not said a word to her father. She moved silently, perhaps in a passive mood.
IMO.

I am a layman.
Parpar1836
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:25:54 PM

Neurons: 6,867
My surmise is that "with her face hanging low" is equivalent to "walking around with a long face," i.e., a sad or downcast expression.
taurine
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:54:12 PM

Neurons: 44,650
Maybe she already has attended a meeting organized with the participation of AL Huda director Farhat Nasheem Hashmi. Hasmi, not so rare to put it mildly, reflects and drives the spread among Pakistan's upper and middle classes of the kind of ultra-conservatism that fosters an enabling environment for radicalization. And Hasmi could just occasionally visited the lovely suburban village where the father of this young woman bought her a house to show amid fellow Pakistanis living there that he can, too. Even though being an opthamologist, only.
QP
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:16:49 PM

Neurons: 4,796
Thank you all.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:20:27 AM

Neurons: 127,933
QP, was this a movie produced in America or was it a dubbed/ adopted movie in English?

I can feel that the girl moves with a sad or uninterested look on her face. She is not interested in these lavish things. As others mentioned, she is not attracted towards these things. She wants something else, may be more time with her parents or some freedom to move out or to sing or dance...

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
thar
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:35:12 AM

Neurons: 62,577
I agree with Parpar

it seems to be a variation on the idiom of 'with a long face' - being sad, depressed, never smiling.

Jokes make fun of that by taking it literally. Then other jokes make fun of those jokes by using the idiom again