The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

broke in Options
vkhu
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:28:11 PM

Neurons: 3,560
Quote:
As for the way which I proposed to myself to go in and out (for I left no avenue), it was by setting two ladders, one to a part of the rock which was low, and then broke in, and left room to place another ladder upon that; so when the two ladders were taken down no man living could come down to me without doing himself mischief; and if they had come down, they were still on the outside of my outer wall.

-Robinson Crusoe

I'm having a hard time imagining how Robinson setting up the two ladders, especially the use of the word "broke in". Is part of the mountain collapsed and he has some room to walk on, and place the ladder on the other side?
FounDit
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 4:33:08 PM

Neurons: 41,840
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
As for the way which I proposed to myself to go in and out (for I left no avenue), it was by setting two ladders, one to a part of the rock which was low, and then broke in, and left room to place another ladder upon that; so when the two ladders were taken down no man living could come down to me without doing himself mischief; and if they had come down, they were still on the outside of my outer wall.

-Robinson Crusoe

I'm having a hard time imagining how Robinson setting up the two ladders, especially the use of the word "broke in". Is part of the mountain collapsed and he has some room to walk on, and place the ladder on the other side?

It sounds like the rock had a kind of "shelf" space on its surface. One ladder went up to that "shelf", and another ladder went up to the top. Without any ladders, anyone attempting to climb over the wall to the inside would injure himself because it was so high.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
thar
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 4:43:09 PM

Neurons: 59,559
There are a few definitions which express this meaning - the rock face rises vertically, then changes direction to come back in to the cave, creating the shelf.

Eg
Tfd
Break
Quote:

Verb
16. To change direction or move suddenly: The quarterback broke to the left to avoid a tackler.

Noun
6. An interruption or a disruption in continuity or regularity: television programming without commercial breaks.