The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

(Expression) Thinking of others, NOT yourself Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:18:23 AM

Neurons: 19,417
NOT A TEACHER

For ten years, Mona and Betty have been BFF. Yesterday Mona married Raul. Betty was one of the five bridesmaids. Today Mona telephones Betty.

Mona: May I please speak with Betty?

Betty's mother: Oh, she's in the hospital for an operation.

Mona: Oh my God! Was it an emergency?

Betty's mother: No, no, no! The operation was scheduled a month ago.

Mona: Why didn't she tell us yesterday?

Betty's mother: You know how sweet Betty is. She did not want to rain on your parade.

( = Betty did not tell Mona or Raul. She didn't want them to worry; Betty did not tell the 300 wedding guests. She wanted them to give all their attention to Mona and Raul; Betty kept her operation a secret because she did not want to spoil (destroy) the happiest day in Mona's life. She wanted Mona to be the complete center of attention.)

Tom begins to tell you a joke.

You already know that joke.

But you keep your mouth shut.

When Tom finishes the joke, you laugh and laugh and laugh.

"Wow! That was funny!" you exclaim.

Tom is so happy.

The next day, Tom begins to tell the joke to Laura.

Laura immediately says, "I know that joke. It's not funny!"

Tom stops talking.

He is very sad.

Laura has rained on his parade.

I wish my fellow learners a great new week! Take care!
whatson
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:07:58 AM

Neurons: 1,726
The truth is, Betty thought she was irreplaceable.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:27:38 AM

Neurons: 3,052
To my mind Betty has caused a situation that overshadows the whole of the wedding day, instead of letting everyone know she would not be able to attend and perform her bridesmaids duties she has caused her best friend to suddenly find out she is sick, which will worry Mona.

She may have been upset to know her friend was ill but given warning she would have been prepared for it, but to suddenly find out is far worse.

It may also detract from Monas wedding day as many of the wedding guests will want to know why all of a sudden Betty has not attended the wedding, (some may come up with some scandalous ideas).

There is also the minor matter of the money that will have been spent on her table setting and a small gift for her, but those are not important.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 8:49:21 AM

Neurons: 51,498
Your views on Betty's behaviour do not change the value of TheParser's explanation of the idiom he presented, Sarrriesfan,
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:02:01 AM

tunaafi wrote:
Your views on Betty's behaviour do not change the value of TheParser's explanation of the idiom he presented, Sarrriesfan,

Yes now that you say it it's true.

coag
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 11:21:04 AM

Neurons: 4,333
Just to add this, from Online Etymology Dictionary.

To rain on (someone's) parade is attested from 1941.

parade (n.)
from Latin parere "arrange, prepare, adorn" (see pare), which developed widespread senses in Romanic derivatives. Non-military sense of "march, procession" is first recorded 1670s.

PS

TheParser,

That rain, and the fact that you live in SoCal, reminded me of the song "It Never Rains In Southern California".
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:04:20 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:

It may also detract from Monas wedding day as many of the wedding guests will want to know why all of a sudden Betty has not attended the wedding.

But Betty DID attend the wedding!

Have a nice evening!
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:07:30 PM

coag wrote:

That rain, and the fact that you live in SoCal, reminded me of the song "It Never Rains In Southern California".

This year was an exception.

It really rained. A lot.

Generally, however, the weather in SoCal is perfect!

Have a nice evening!
NKM
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 4:54:43 PM

Neurons: 135,574
Sarrriesfan wrote:
To my mind Betty has caused a situation that overshadows the whole of the wedding day, instead of letting everyone know she would not be able to attend and perform her bridesmaids duties she has caused her best friend to suddenly find out she is sick, which will worry Mona.

She may have been upset to know her friend was ill but given warning she would have been prepared for it, but to suddenly find out is far worse.

It may also detract from Monas wedding day as many of the wedding guests will want to know why all of a sudden Betty has not attended the wedding, (some may come up with some scandalous ideas).

There is also the minor matter of the money that will have been spent on her table setting and a small gift for her, but those are not important.

══════════════════════════════════════════════

You seem to have misunderstood the scenario. The wedding was yesterday, and Betty was there, fulfilling her duties as one of the bridesmaids. The surgery was scheduled for today.

Seems to me it was considerate of her to keep her impending surgery to herself so that her friends could enjoy the occasion without worrying about her.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 6:38:05 PM

NKM wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

══════════════════════════════════════════════

You seem to have misunderstood the scenario. The wedding was yesterday, and Betty was there, fulfilling her duties as one of the bridesmaids. The surgery was scheduled for today.

Seems to me it was considerate of her to keep her impending surgery to herself so that her friends could enjoy the occasion without worrying about her.

Yes you are correct I did misunderstand the scenario, and The Parsers example is correct.

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:00:22 AM

Thank you, NKM and Sarriesfan, for those comments.

Have a good day!
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:43:58 PM

Neurons: 82,908
It seems that many of these scenarios are so over-done that the meaning of the idiom is lost. Plus, most of them are so "negative" that they are off-putting.

This will be the last one I read -- promise!
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:23:49 AM

[quote=Wilmar (USA)

This will be the last one I read -- promise![/quote]

Thank you for your note.

I, too, do not read the posts of about a half dozen people who have offended me.

So I respect your decision.

Goodbye and good luck!