The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Shah Rukh Khan's TED talk on humanity, fame and love. Options
progpen
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 8:03:48 AM

Neurons: 191,278
https://www.ted.com/talks/shah_rukh_khan_thoughts_on_humanity_fame_and_love#t-1113257
I've been a fan of Shah Rukh Khan for about 20 years now and knew he was an interesting person, but this TED talk was wonderful. He began by giving a bit of his own history, which I was not aware of, and then went on to compare the world to an aging Bollywood movie star. I was thinking, "now this is going to be a stretch" but he was absolutely right. He spoke of how the future you (humanity) is like the present me (Khan) and how we are "grappling with all the newness around itself, wondering whether it got it right in the first place, and still trying to find a way to keep on shining regardless."

He talks about how we and he initially saw the Internet as this great tool for the massive expansion of ideas and dreams, only to watch it become siloed villages of thought and judgment.

He then talks about how we and he still have a beautiful future because if there has been a momentous time for humanity to exist, it is now, because the present you is brave. The present you is hopeful. The present you is innovative and resourceful, and of course, the present you is annoyingly indefinable.

He then talks about how love is the emotion that will get we and he through the rest of our lives because "you may use your power to build walls and keep people outside, or you may use it to break barriers and welcome them in. You may use your faith to make people afraid and terrify them into submission, or you can use it to give courage to people so they rise to the greatest heights of enlightenment. You can use your energy to build nuclear bombs and spread the darkness of destruction, or you can use it to spread the joy of light to millions. You may filthy up the oceans callously and cut down all the forests. You can destroy the ecology, or turn to them with love and regenerate life from the waters and trees. You may land on Mars and build armed citadels, or you may look for life-forms and species to learn from and respect. And you can use all the moneys we all have earned to wage futile wars and give guns in the hands of little children to kill each other with, or you can use it to make more food to fill their stomachs with."

"The future "you" has to be like an aging movie star who has been made to believe that there is a possibility of a world which is completely, wholly, self-obsessively in love with itself."

Just a wonderful talk. I've gained a new level of respect for this man that I've enjoyed watching in movies for so many years.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 2:44:38 PM

Neurons: 191,278
Khan experienced some significant backlash in 2015 when he spoke out about extreme religious intolerance in India. Since then, he explains, he cannot allow himself to talk about religion or politics because of the responsibility for the livelyhoods of the 200 to 300 people who work for his production company or for him personally.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 9:55:55 PM

Neurons: 40,411
I'll watch it tomorrow, Progpen.

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Listening . . .
Posted: Saturday, May 13, 2017 1:49:55 PM

Neurons: 3,812
I had never heard of Shah Rukh Khan. I enjoyed his speech (mostly for his lovely voice and accent!) and I thank you for the introduction, Prog.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:24:35 AM

Neurons: 57,149
Thank you Progpen, he is extremely impressive.
Completely idealistic, I wish it were possible that a majority of people would come to his conclusion.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?