The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What were they thinking? Options
rmberwin
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 5:25:46 PM

Neurons: 427
A few years ago a new apple variety was sold under the brandname 'SweeTango". I thought the name and spelling were awful. Now comes (get ready for it) the "Cosmic Crisp". Besides being nearly unpronounceable, the name suggests that the apple should offer some kind of transcendent crispy-texture experience--that the fruit is the apotheosis of crunchiosity. Actually, the name was the result of marketing research and refers to the surface appearance of the apple. From the website: "Those little spots look like starbursts to some and consumers are believed to be drawn to names relating to outer space and the cosmos." Somebody needs to be spanked.

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 6:11:07 PM

Neurons: 5,874
rmberwin wrote:
A few years ago a new apple variety was sold under the brandname 'SweeTango". I thought the name and spelling were awful. Now comes (get ready for it) the "Cosmic Crisp". Besides being nearly unpronounceable, the name suggests that the apple should offer some kind of transcendent crispy-texture experience--that the fruit is the apotheosis of crunchiosity. Actually, the name was the result of marketing research and refers to the surface appearance of the apple. From the website: "Those little spots look like starbursts to some and consumers are believed to be drawn to names relating to outer space and the cosmos." Somebody needs to be spanked.

I do not find the name unpronounceable myself, but I agree with you about market researchers and their thoughts.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
rmberwin
Posted: Friday, May 5, 2017 9:22:36 PM

Neurons: 427
Sarrriesfan wrote:
rmberwin wrote:

I do not find the name unpronounceable myself, but I agree with you about market researchers and their thoughts.

I should have said "awkward to pronounce" instead.

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"