The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Canada is ready to play rough regarding tariffs. Options
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:12:56 AM

Neurons: 191,278
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/news/economy/trump-canada-tariffs/

Canada's Foreign Minister has responded to the 20% tariff hike imposed Monday night with a no-nonsense response. "We're nice guys: Politeness is something we believe is a national virtue, but it's not an accident that hockey is our national sport," Freeland noted.

Once again, the fights that the current administration pick will result in the US taxpayers getting screwed. "The big losers in the softwood lumber dispute are American consumers," Freeland argued. "This is going to cost middle-class Americans who want to buy a house a lot of money."

And also, the only people to come out the end of any of the current administration's tantrums are the lawyers. Freeland stopped short of saying Canada would retaliate with new tariffs against US exports to Canada. Instead, she pointed out that Canada has won every court case on lumber against the US, suggesting the tariffs would be challenged in court.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:16:02 PM

Neurons: 40,429
It takes a lot to thoroughly piss off Canadians - but this strutting peacock has done it. It was all Mexico but now the wall is on hold. And China - but now he needs China for North Korea. Is there any country in the world he hasn't pissed off yet? (I see Mexico scored a trade victory over the United States on Tuesday in a tuna dispute.)

Softwood and dairy are not in NAFTA and have been contentious for two decades. But they usually quietly work it out. I guess Trump needs a distraction from the fact that he is set to give the wealthy the biggest tax grab ever.

He turned his attention to Canada over a letter from a Wisconsin dairy farmer. As usual Trump doesn't even have his facts straight about the dairy industry. The US produces far too much milk and even some Wisconsin farmers say it is not Canada's fault, that the US should be controlling production too. In fact the proportion of dairy trade is 5 to 1 in favor of the US.

The softwood industry in the US has not been harmed. The US subsidizes theirs but says because Canada's comes from crown land they can produce it more cheaply. The tariffs take time to work out and may not even happen when those in the know in the US softwood industry get working on it. They know what will happen to house prices, especially in California.

But in the meantime many Canadian jobs will be lost, our dollar dropped two cents in two days, our stock markets dropped, and investors are leaving.

Canada's ministers were already in China talking to them about trade in general and softwood in particular. Japan is talking about continuing the TPP without the US. Canada has a trade agreement signed with the EU. The provinces are starting to work out better trade agreements as well - that is why the milk problem bloomed.

Trump has also let it be known he may sign an executive order to tear up NAFTA. It would cause disruption but we survived before it.

I think the figure is that the US has 9 million jobs dependent upon Canada and 5 million US jobs dependent upon Mexico through NAFTA. Edited - breaking news - Trump tells Mexico he won't pull out of NAFTA. Who knows what he'll do. It all depends upon to whom he just talked. I was right not to trust him when he met Trudeau and said he would just tweak NAFTA.

Anyhow, yes, Progpen, one minister re the softwood said, "See you in court".

And the Premier of BC has written to Prime Minister Trudeau asking him to put a ban on coal being shipped from BC's ports. And most of it is American coal. Wonder how his pet coal industry would like that. Why the heck are we shipping American dirty stuff through our ports anyhow!

She said she has wanted to do it for some time. The coal is filthy, ruining the air and the water. She didn't want to upset the apple cart on trade, but now that he has slapped on tariffs, it is everything goes.

Trump lied that the call from Trudeau was amicable - Trudeau said it was anything but.

We are borrowing the Scottish motto - hope you don't mind Jacobus and Drago!

"Nemo me impune lacessit"

No one provokes me with impunity

Equality is when you see a person - not a label.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:09:42 AM

Christy Clark, Premier of BC, said she will work with the federal government first to stop the coal going through BC ports. Trudeau said any provincial request is always considered seriously. But if she needs to, Clark said she will use any provincial means possible.

She said now that the US is not a good neighbor, has become a "hostile trading partner"slapping on tariffs, going after several industries, and even calling us names, she decided now was the time. 6 Million tonnes of US thermal coal, the dirtiest kind, goes through the Port of Vancouver every year. "She said Washington, Oregon and California have already made commitments to eliminate the use of coal as a source of electricity and every proposed coal export facility on the U.S. West Coast over the past five years has been rejected or withdrawn."

"Maxwell Cameron, a political science professor at the University of British Columbia and the author of The Making of NAFTA: How the Deal Was Done, said in an interview that Ms. Clark's announcement was an impressive "shot across the bow."

"This is exactly the kind of linkage politics that NAFTA is designed to avoid. But it's what [Mr.] Trump is going to get if he persists in bullying Canada and talking about opening up the NAFTA in ways that are clearly prejudicial to Canadian interests," he said.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/christy-clark-calls-on-ottawa-to-ban-coal-exports-after-softwood-lumber-duties/article34822276/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

palapaguy
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 12:35:28 AM

Neurons: 6,880
Please. This is a grammar forum. Take your politics elsewhere.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:04:06 AM

(heavy sigh)

@palapaquy. This is the Business and Finance section.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:10:32 AM

Hope, if Canada does stop the coal going through their ports it will be a significant setback to the coal industry, but also to the current administration. My guess is that letting coal through Canadian ports will come up in the new NAFTA negotiations, now that the current administration says they want to renegotiate and not scrap NAFTA. That could be quite the bargaining chip.

So it appears that the current administration has changed their collective mind once again in mid sentence in that they are not going to "scrap NAFTA" but renegotiate. This aught to be interesting.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:46:56 AM

Progpen, I hope it will be more than just a bargaining chip. I think the premier is quite willing to now go it alone. Her own province has been pressuirng her for some time. I don't think she's bluffing as she is up for election and Canada IS trying to be more environmentally friendly. I'm not sure exactly what her provincial powers are but I am curious enough now to check. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

I think and hope Trump's impulsive way of handling policy will have farther reaching consequences than he ever dreamed of in his inexperience and will help the environment. Maybe it will help China, the recipient of the coal, to switch too if Clark stops the shipping.

As for NAFTA, Trump just said he is not considering dismantling it NOW. This sabre rattling is just his usual negotiating tactic and Canadian negotiators have mentioned they are not going to get their knickers in a knot and will be tough and strong. We do have bargaining chips. Some American farmers have already said they would never recover if NAFTA goes.

It is interesting that there is also a glut of milk in New Zealand and Australia. Apparently Canada's controlling the industry is quite smart. The whole dairy bit came to Trump's attention over a specific processed milk they use to make cheese. The provinces got together and started trading with each other. Finally! And that loss of market turned the tide for some Wisconsin farmers when there is already a glut of US milk.

Also, I would like to know if we take in five times as much milk from the US as they get from us, is that milk hormone free? Bovine Growth Hormone is legal in the US but not in Canada. I buy organic but my family does not. I would hope our government inspects that.

::::

Since Palapa Guy does not enter into discussions except to insert his politics of pro-Trump, and can't read titles of sub forums even when they are pointed out, I find that any post of his in any sub forum is not worth considering as valuable.

Telling us to stop using the sub forums for the purpose for which they are meant is not going to stop us. He is wasting his time.

progpen
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:05:14 AM

rBGH is indeed legal in the US, and if you look carefully you can see on some milk a statement saying that rBGH is safe and not a health risk. That just shows how entrenched Monsanto is in the US (Posilac is now owned by Eli Lily, but the entrenchment of rBGH was all Monsanto).

We only buy locally from farms that we can verify do not use any additional hormones or antibiotics. It has gotten bad enough that we cannot believe what government labels say about a product because of regulatory capture. For example the USDA has diluted the (Organic) label so much that it is damn near meaningless. This due to regulatory capture by the likes of Monsanto and Cargill.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:16:03 AM

Really? Darn. I count on USDA organic when I buy from California. And a lot of organic does come from California. I do try as much as posible to buy from local farmers and they get to know me and I them. They are usually truthful when you are face to face. However, I remember way back in the eighties when I asked a Mennonite farmer at market if he sprayed the potatoes, and he answered, "No". But when I said chemicals make me deathly ill, he replied, "Well I might have dusted a little". lol

I get a lot of meat and vegetables from the Community Farm of the Brethren. They are about 60 miles away so I stock up whenever they have excess food. They grow it for themselves so I know it is good, but they don't always have excess to sell to me.

It is very hard to get anything truly organic these days because chemicals from neighboring farms blow onto organic land. I am able to tolerate some foods now that are not organic, depending upon the food and the amount of chemicals used. Some crops are more highly sprayed than others.

As for the original post about negotiating, I like the Scottish motto - it can be loosely translated as "What you do to us, we will do to you". Seems fitting here. We didn't go looking for a fight.

(Edited - I think Trump's tax plan for the US corporations is going to be more of a problem for Canada than scraps about dairy and softwood that have been ongoing for twenty years. But he has to get his tax plan passed first and since it benefits him more than anybody, his tax returns are still very important and he has no intention of sharing them. And threatening to pull out of NAFTA is just Trump's way of getting Mexico to the table to renegotiate before their election. He is in a hurry.)

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:09:15 PM

Prog,

I checked some links re USDA and will still continue to count on it.

Here's an opinion piece from a CBC correspondent.

He says if Trump keeps alienating other countries, "America First" may well become "America Last" and in fact in some areas that is already happening. Tourism for one. Softening someone up for a business deal is far different from alienating old friends as Mexico and Canada are looking for new markets and consumers in Canada and Mexico are deciding to switch from that California wine as there are lots of choices in the liquor stores.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trade-softwood-dairy-japan-europe-china-mexico-1.4085031

Hope123
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 1:13:00 AM

Prog,

I figured the NAFTA threat was just Trump negotiating so Canada and Mexico would be more amenable in renegotiations. However, some government officials have said that the NAFTA threat was not about Canada and Mexico at all! They said it was really a threat to the US Congresspeople whose constituents would be affected. He was telling them to shape up and vote how he wants in other areas. Who does that besides spolied rich kids who have to win at all costs? Trudeau even commiserated with him about Congress saying he was glad he didn't have to work in that system.

Trump caused our dollar to drop 2 cents in two days, the stock market is down, and investors are scared till they see WTF he ends up doing. And nothing came back up today as the only thing predictable about Trump is his unpredictabiliity. That may work for wheeling and dealing in construction but words matter in government.

I expect there is a bit of schadenfreude by some Americans...

I saw a response on CNN on Facebook to some facts that were absolutely true about Canada and US trade similar to what I said here. I forget the exact words but a man from North Dakota arrogantly said something about Canada and her puny economy and ended by calling the CDN poster a simpleton. I never post on those threads as I don't want to be harassed, but I surely felt like telling him that North Dakota has one of the highest number of jobs linked directly to NAFTA. And I had a few choice names to call him too.

The same choice names I have for a leader who manipulates and uses other people's lives for his own selfish gains without a whiff of conscience.

I have never in my entire life had as much contempt for any person as I do for this man and many of his followers.

progpen
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2017 4:39:15 AM

Hope123 wrote:
I have never in my entire life had as much contempt for any person as I do for this man and many of his followers.

I'm right there with you.