Neurons: 17,800
I have edited the article.
I have proofread the article.

What is the difference in meaning?

Thanks.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 5:59:47 AM

Neurons: 419,246
When you proofread, you mark the errors. You can also edit the text to correct the errors, or let some other person to correct the marked errors.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:14:41 AM

Neurons: 378,148
Koh Elaine wrote:
I have edited the article.
I have proofread the article.

What is the difference in meaning?

Thanks.

The choice of word will depend on what you have done and wish to convey. Have your pick after reading the following extract:

Source: https://www.upwork.com/blog/2010/02/editing-vs-proofreading-whats-the-difference/

Editing

When hiring a freelance editor, you’re hiring someone to review and change your text with the intent to improve the flow and overall quality of your writing. An editor has the freedom to remove entire sentences or rewrite entire paragraphs. A good editor will correct any obvious errors they come across, but their main goal is to use their expertise and intuition to ensure the document makes sense, cut down on wordiness, and clarify any ambiguity.

Proofreading

Proofreading is the process of examining the final draft of a document or text — after it has been edited — to ensure there are absolutely no errors. A proofreader will review for spelling errors, punctuation errors, typos or incorrect use of regional English (i.e. ensuring that you’re using American English or British English when necessary).

For important proofreading, you will want to hire an experienced freelancer with the the ability to find even the smallest grammatical errors that others might normally dismiss. Hiring a proofreader is particularly helpful if you’re not confident in your writing, or if English is not your first language.

I hope it helps.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:50:18 AM

Neurons: 45,447

Indeed. One's Editor and one's Proofreader are the people who are most important to a career in writing!!
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:33:25 AM

Neurons: 289,477
The above replies are correct to a great extent. In common conversation, both could mean the same (or at least people use both the sentences to mean the same). In both the processes (editing and proofreading), the errors in written text (chapters, articles, stories, thesis etc.) are to be corrected. The main objective is to make the text error-free. However, in technical terms, the two processes are different and are carried at different stages of publishing a work. I serve in publishing industry and understand the differences.

Editing (or copyediting) is done on the script written by an author. An editor corrects the grammatical, syntactical and factual errors. She may rewrite the sentences or shorten the sentences, if required. She may also reposition the figures or text. On the other hand, a proofreader has less freedom. As the name suggests, the work is carried on the "proofs". Proofs are the final typeset pages. While editing can be done on any form (like text handwritten on paper or typed in some computer text editor), proofreading is done only after it is typeset. That means it is almost in the form what you get in printed book.

A proofreader checks the missed factual or grammatical or syntactical errors; in addition she also has to check the whether the matter has any presentation misses. For example, a single line from a paragraph carried to the subsequent page, a row in a table shifted to next page etc. She also verifies that all the copyeditor's corrections and marks are properly incorporated in the typeset version. She, however, does not rewrite or reposition the sentences.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
sgopineni
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:12:38 AM

Neurons: 5
Editing the article means we are modifying the content according to the given topic. If the content is irrelevant or wand to add more about the topic at that time we will edit the article.

Proofreading means the article has copy-edited before going to publication. They will find the errors in the article and work on the errors before publishing.
KRFTeam
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:35:39 AM

Neurons: 20
One posts or before must have enough sections: Open topic - Body topic - End topic
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:26:31 PM

Neurons: 45,447
Although Sirr say that it's acceptable to use the two interchangeably, I don't agree. It makes a huge difference to one's work-load if one has agreed to spend a few minutes proofing something for errors...and then finds what's meant is an editing job that could take hours or days to do.

It happens here on the forum when learners say "Please proofread this for me" and then one opens the thread to find that what is wanted is actually a complete re-organisation of what's been written!

To me - especially in my job - its very, very important.
davidtaylor90
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 5:28:51 AM

Neurons: 5
I have done all successfully. I can't find any wrong with this.
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:35:39 PM

Neurons: 27,478
Romany wrote:
Although Sirr say that it's acceptable to use the two interchangeably, I don't agree. It makes a huge difference to one's work-load if one has agreed to spend a few minutes proofing something for errors...and then finds what's meant is an editing job that could take hours or days to do.

It happens here on the forum when learners say "Please proofread this for me" and then one opens the thread to find that what is wanted is actually a complete re-organisation of what's been written!

To me - especially in my job - its very, very important.

I very much agree with this. There is a fundamental difference between "proofing" and "editing".

The notion of "proof reading" involves checking for errors, no more, no less.

The responsibility of an editor is much deeper, and involves the tone and quality of the writing, not just whether it is "correct".

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:52:29 AM

Neurons: 179,538
EDITED - I wrote this in response to a post which has since been removed by the Admins,
. . . deleted . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:13:09 AM

Neurons: 2,712
Romany wrote:

Indeed. One's Editor and one's Proofreader are the people who are most important to a career in writing!!

An old Soviet joke about the late Secretary General of the USSR Communist Party Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev.

After Brezhnev had published his wartime memoirs "Malaya Zemlya" he was massively praised for the book.

Brezhnev walking down a corridor in the CP HQ meets with somebody who says:
- Leonid Ilyich, what a great book "Malaya Zemlya" is! What a vivid and true story, what a great language!
- Okay, thanks.

Meets another person:
- Leonid Ilyich! Just finished to read "Malaya Zemlya". I spent four years at that war myself, and never, never have I read anything about that war even nearly as good as that!
- Okay, thank you.

The third person he meets praises the book, too. Brezhnev:
- Yeah, thanks! Looks like that's really a good book, that one. Maybe I should read it myself. Think