The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him. Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 73,743
If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
1dreamer
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:53:37 AM

Neurons: 147
The roots of art and artists are long lost. Society should take notice of artists and intellectuals, not politicians. It probably would be better.Pray
Carmelo
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 7:59:32 AM

Neurons: 750

Sure Mr. Kennedy, if they don't become decadent.

Christine
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 8:52:22 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Carmelo wrote:

Sure Mr. Kennedy, if they don't become decadent.

ditto

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

IMcRout
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 9:48:37 AM

Neurons: 546,023
But who decides whether it's decadent or degenerate?
Where do you draw the line, and who draws it?

There was a time in my country when 'degenerate art' (entartete Kunst) was considered just as bad as being a Jew, a homosexual, a Communist, a political dissident, a Gypsy (the term for Sinti and Roma at the time) or mentally retarded.

I wouldn't want those times back again.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
MTC
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 10:00:15 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Censorship is to Art what salt is to a snail--a fatal blight. The state, religious conservatives and self-appointed arbiters of "what is good" have always posed a threat to artistic expression. "Decadent" echoes "degenerate," the word the Third Reich employed in banning all of Modern Art, including painting and jazz. I completely concur with the poster from Germany.
1dreamer
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 10:30:04 AM

Neurons: 147
To me art is decadent when is bad for people. For example, some kind of art sponsored by rich man.
That´s nor art, that´s only bussiness and it has poor and very bad values for young people.
The same way in tv there are hours and programs for adults, I think we have to do the same effort in art, internet, etc. This is not a return to the beggining, it´s a return to the stolen innocence of our children.

IMcRout wrote:
But who decides whether it's decadent or degenerate?
Where do you draw the line, and who draws it?

There was a time in my country when 'degenerate art' (entartete Kunst) was considered just as bad as being a Jew, a homosexual, a Communist, a political dissident, a Gypsy (the term for Sinti and Roma at the time) or mentally retarded.

I wouldn't want those times back again.
garliconion
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 11:29:58 AM

Neurons: 52
"Wherever" is a foolish concept for obtaining nourishment. If I ate that way then I would be fat and unhealthy. The "wherever" sounds like saying, "Whatever." This is an uncaring and downtrodden remark.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 9:36:29 PM

Neurons: 4,678
I agree with IMcRout and MCT. But I also agree with the point made by 1dreamer. The question is: how can we have both? Who decides this ? And who sets the standard and by what criteria?
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 11:38:30 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Carte blanche for them.