The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"YAWN" (for moderate readers) Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:38:43 PM

Neurons: 22,062
Dear Moderates (not "conservatives" or "liberals"):

1. I work with a group of English learners at my local library, most of whom are new citizens.

2. When I met them today, they were reading a thread (as TFD guests) and laughing like mad.

3. I asked them what was up, and they pointed to a thread in this forum. It was the usual anti-Trump nonsense. One poster summed up his/her feelings about the topic with one word: "Yawn."

4. The group then asked me to stop wasting my time in this forum and to spend what time that I have concentrating on the other forums, which are far more meaningful.

5. If I find a thread that is actually interesting, then I'll post the moderate point of view. (For example, another member recently started an interesting thread about the situation in Turkey.)

6. Otherwise, I will stay away from this forum. Of course, it is not really a forum. It is just a club for "liberals" to talk to themselves. They certainly do not change the minds of any moderates, such as you and I. You are too smart to believe "liberal" propaganda.

7. This "Politics" forum could really be an exciting and informative place where "conservatives," "liberals," and moderates could actually discuss what's going on in the nation and world. But if anyone disagrees with "liberal" propaganda, that person is called a troll or spammer. No wonder the same handful of individuals post in this forum day after day.

8. There is only one other poster who occasionally disagrees with the "liberal" club members. But he does not post too often. And now that I am going to stop wasting my time contradicting their "liberal" propaganda, that handful of posters will now have the whole forum to themselves.

Yawn.

`
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:51:19 PM

Neurons: 53,498
TheParser wrote:
it is not really a forum. It is just a club for "liberals" to talk to themselves. They certainly do not change the minds of any moderates, such as you and I. You are too smart to believe "liberal" propaganda...

But if anyone disagrees with "liberal" propaganda, that person is called a troll or spammer. No wonder the same handful of individuals post in this forum day after day...

And now that I am going to stop wasting my time contradicting their "liberal" propaganda, that handful of posters will now have the whole forum to themselves...

YAWN

`
Yarin
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:16:13 PM

Neurons: 2,432

BTW, I'm also called a troll, a paid troll.Think
hedy mmm
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:23:51 PM

Neurons: 421,002
Well stated TheParser. The betisê of TFD will continue...so be it!

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:36:43 PM

Neurons: 41,209
Best wishes with your endeavors, Parser.

That is great that you are helping new learners at the library.

World food shortage that threatens five hundred million children could be alleviated at the cost of one day's warfare.
dkf
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 12:21:17 AM

Neurons: 11,403
The Parser:

You have given up addressing "fair minded readers"? Was that when the ridiculous balloon you tried to float that Donald Trump was right about being wiretapped exploded?

Just remember the old saying "moderation in defense of freedom makes you vulnerable to clownish extremists."

Cheers. Give my redards to the Kremlin.
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:40:10 AM

Neurons: 384,309
TheParser wrote:
But if anyone disagrees with "liberal" propaganda, that person is called a troll or spammer. No wonder the same handful of individuals post in this forum day after day.

Actually, they get talked to for years, offered tons of arguments and facts for debate. When that fails, as it has on so many occasions, people get tired of someone who so obviously doesn't care for meaningful discussion and then they call that person a troll.