The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Crowding stuff to lighten up the weight? Options
vkhu
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:01:09 AM

Neurons: 4,400
"We crowded also as much canvas as our yards would spread, or our masts carry, to get clear; but finding the pirate gained upon us, and would certainly come up with us in a few hours, we prepared to fight; our ship having twelve guns, and the rogue eighteen."

At this point, Crusoe is being chased by pirate. So, in order to outrun the pirates, he "crowded" the goods on the boat to make it go faster? This doesn't make any sense.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:38:16 AM

Neurons: 4,473
vkhu wrote:
"We crowded also as much canvas as our yards would spread, or our masts carry, to get clear; but finding the pirate gained upon us, and would certainly come up with us in a few hours, we prepared to fight; our ship having twelve guns, and the rogue eighteen."

At this point, Crusoe is being chased by pirate. So, in order to outrun the pirates, he "crowded" the goods on the boat to make it go faster? This doesn't make any sense.

The canvas here is not goods but the sails of the ship which are made of canvas.

Yards is the name for the cross beams on the ship that carry the sails, also known as yardarms.

To put it another way.
"We put as many sails as our yardarms would take, and our mast carry, to get clear".

By putting on as many sails as the rigging of the ship could carry the ship was hoping to gain as much speed as it possibly could.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:23:50 AM

Neurons: 2,387,279
vkhu wrote:

You can't resist finishing that chapter, can you?

Neither can I.
vkhu
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:00:31 AM

Neurons: 4,400
Gary98 wrote:
vkhu wrote:

You can't resist finishing that chapter, can you?

Neither can I.

Indeed. The story itself is fascinating, but God almighty, the prose!
NancyUK
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:34:59 PM

Neurons: 46,431
There are a lot of nautical terms and idioms in this.

Crowd all sail, or crowd sail are familiar idioms (to me at least) but then he's changed sail to canvas, so it's another nautical term on top of the idiom.

Crowd sail

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. Ogden Nash
thar
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:33:04 PM

Neurons: 63,052
I think a visual shows clearly that to get the maximum speed, to grab every bit of wind, you really do 'crowd' the sails.

These are different types of ship but with the same aim - get canvas up, catch wind, go fast.

Of course, it can be taken to extremes...!
But surely there comes a point where you can't transfer that force to power.