The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Be well Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:25:25 AM

Neurons: 2,244

For most CSS patients it takes quite a while to reach a low dose of steroids and be well. It takes as long as it takes, so patience seems to be the right thing here, to avoid a flare.
http://www.cssassociation.org/patient-stories-reader/items/reducing-steroids-while-on-a-low-dose-activating-the-adrenal-glands-by-marian-mesker.html
Please explain to me the grammatical form and function of the phrase "be well"?
Thanks in advance
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:08:15 AM

Neurons: 294,607
Jigneshbharati wrote:

For most CSS patients it takes quite a while to reach a low dose of steroids and be well. It takes as long as it takes, so patience seems to be the right thing here, to avoid a flare.
http://www.cssassociation.org/patient-stories-reader/items/reducing-steroids-while-on-a-low-dose-activating-the-adrenal-glands-by-marian-mesker.html
Please explain to me the grammatical form and function of the phrase "be well"?
Thanks in advance

"Be well" is a verb phrase. It means that if someone is well, they are healthy again, and they no longer have an illness or injury.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:25:21 PM

Thanks. How do I know that I needs to use "be"?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:06:57 PM

Neurons: 131,240
Hello Jigneshbharati.

What you have there is two 'thoughts' in one sentence.
For most CSS patients it takes quite a while to reach a low dose of steroids. - and -
For most CSS patients it takes quite a while to be well.

Most of the two sentences is identical, so you just use the parts you need. The red part is omitted, as it has already been said.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:45:27 PM

Thanks Drago. How do I know that we need to use infinitive "to be" before "well" and what type of phrase is "to be well"?
Morgaen
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:34:16 PM

Neurons: 8,885

"to be well" is an infinitive phrase, Jigneshbharati.

An infinitive phrase consists of an infinitive (the root of the verb preceded by to) and any modifiers or complements associated with it - in this case the adjective well.

Infinitive phrases can have various functions; they can act as nouns, adjectives or adverbs.

As DragO explained, what you have here (overall) is a compound predicate: two or more verbs or verb phrases that share the same subject.

Like:

My cupcakes look pretty and taste great.

In your sentence, "well" is predicative. You can piece things together this way too:
it takes quite a while / to / be well

As for your question 'How do I know', well... to be honest, I think it's all about context. Surely, the word 'well' does not always call for the verb 'be. A student can 'do well' at an exam, and patients could 'do well' with a certain therapy. However, in this context, "well" appears to be the end result, so to speak. If this helps, it could be replaced by another adjective, e.g. 'be healthy'. I hope this is helpful.

Jigneshbharati
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:34:26 AM

Thanks