The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

First woman president of the United States? Options
TheParser
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 7:40:12 AM

Neurons: 18,669
Some people think that the United States of America has already had its first woman president.

Her name was Edith Wilson.

1. The 28th president of the United States was Woodrow Wilson.

2. He was the president during World War I.

3. During his last year and a half at the White House, he was very sick (he had had a stroke).

4. Edith, his wife, decided which matters were important enough to bring to the attention of the bedridden president.

5. In other words, she reviewed all matters and decided whether or not the sick president should hear about them.

6. Some people believe that she, in fact, made many decisions herself without asking her husband.

7. After she had left the White House, she wrote a book in which she said that she had never made any decisions herself.

8. Many historians feel that she was the most powerful First Lady in the history of this country and that she was, in reality, the acting president during that year and a half.

Source: Edith Wilson -- Wikipedia
Buzzito
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 11:45:20 AM

Neurons: 261,098
As long as it isn't Hillary! We would be in a world of pain right now if she had gotten elected. Thanks for the history lesson though!
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:43:46 AM

Buzzito wrote:
Thanks for the history lesson though!

You are very welcome.

Have a nice day!
Kunstniete
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:58:51 AM

Neurons: 45,540
TheParser wrote:
3. During his last year and a half at the White House, he was very sick (he had had a stroke).

4. Edith, his wife, decided which matters were important enough to bring to the attention of the bedridden president.

And I thought that there is a vice president for such circumstances oO But I guess the VP would only take the crown if the president is absolutely unable to work, e.g. due to a coma.
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:18:31 AM

Great comments, Kunstniete:

Until a better-educated American than I replies to you, I will timidly point out a few things:

1. I watched a TV documentary on Sunday that claimed that news of President Wilson's severe illness was kept a secret. It was one of the biggest cover-ups in American history, according to that documentary.

2. That documentary also reported that Mrs. Wilson advised her husband to resign, but he refused. (If he had, then the Vice-President would have, indeed, taken over.)

3. Many years later, our Constitution had an amendment added:

a. If the majority of the President's cabinet (those individuals who head the different departments, such as Defense, Treasury, etc.) think that the President is too physically or mentally ill to continue, the majority can suspend the President until he feels better.

Have a nice day!
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:20:45 PM

Neurons: 480,138
There were similar events like that in China...there were also very strong women here who ran the country "behind the silk curtain" so to speak. The last one was known as Empress Dowager Cixi (or Tzu-his) who ran the country for 47 years. She was the one most Chinese blame for the fall of the Qing dynasty.

Women tend to take a bad rap when it comes to being in leadership role (don't shoot me that's my opinion!) Speak to the hand

As for, is the US ready for a woman president...hmmm, I will leave that for future generations to decide...some didn't think women were ready to vote, but it seems we've managed to do that right for nearly 100 years. Whistle

I look forward to the day when gender, age, race, social standing, religion or any other man-made barrier is torn down and we can all just see each other as humans who deserve respect and equality. I guess I must be asking for too much. I also look forward to a time when we don't have to qualify anything with the first woman to...whatever, or the first black person to.... or the first (fill-in the blank) and we just recognize the accomplishment period.

But I digress...

Silenced

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:07:16 AM

Thanks, L.Rai, for your interesting comments.

Have a nice day!