The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Operating System Windows 95. Options
merchant
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:29:17 PM

Neurons: 47,634
I have plenty of these install disks laying around my house and I can't find a need for them; however, they offer me some sort of sentimental value, some sort of mawkish weirdness that newer operating systems don't do. Does anyone else experience this strange nostalgia? It's quite depressing.

-A

"Foolishness is indeed the sister of wickedness."
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:11:41 PM

Neurons: 422,203
Hi Arquebus,

I also experience this nostalgia...I still have my Macintosh SE computer from 1988 (when I started up my business)...a black & white, about 8" screen, which held one MG of info and it was in an about a 12"x18" 'box', and I stored everything on floppy disks. I now have, 2 top of the line MAC computers with all the bells & whistles...four terabytes of memory and a 36" monitor!

Nothing wrong with being nostalgic...I have an RCA Victor phonograph from the '20's' in its original cabinet, and the records and needles..quite a spectacle to share and play a 78rpm with one volume control...

If you ever decide to rid yourself of them, there are collectors who will pay top dollar in an auction...as in eBay.
I love my "Oldies but Goodies"...they are not mawkish or wierd. I believe they show a sensitive side....so don't get depressed, besides, how depressed can you possibly be in Miami, Florida....YIKES, it was 56 degrees here in NYC!

And for God's sake, I still drive my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited...it was my 30th wedding anniversary gift from my husband (of course I'm worth a Lamborghini but I settled for the Jeep...an old joke). It has outlived my husband by 3.5 yrs....it has many memories and still looks great!

...So smile....
hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 1:03:13 PM

Neurons: 66,755
hedy ma'am, you have the superb style of teaching and crossing the threshold of the heart of any person. But why you dive deep, from TFD, for so many days?

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 4:58:28 PM

Neurons: 422,203
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
hedy ma'am, you have the superb style of teaching and crossing the threshold of the heart of any person. But why you dive deep, from TFD, for so many days?

Thank you for the accolade, however, my heart is still broken and I obviously have not "crossed the threshold of the heart" of my raadja...so diving deep keeps me safe from the pain of loosing someone I still love.

Sometimes, TFDers post a thread that I am compelled to answer, or I post one, but it has not assuaged my personal pain...I'm sorry.

hedy

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
NKM
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 6:41:25 PM

Neurons: 187,004
I still have my ancient Timex-Sinclair 2000, with its 2K bytes of memory and its ROM-resident BASIC interpreter.

Entirely useless now, of course, but that was the most flexible, most capable BASIC I ever used. It was so good that I used it to create my own Assembler, which I then used to build my own I/O routines which could read and write (tape cassette only, of course) considerably faster than the original version.

Pleasant memories, indeed!

Priscilla86
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:37:53 AM

Neurons: 4,009
I have a D&G Motorazr that I keep for nostalgic purposes. I used to own the hot pink one in my university days, back when pink cellphones were still a novelty and fashion phones just began to be all the rage. I still think the first model of Motorazr is the most stylish cellphone to have ever been created.

The D&G one is still working, I could make a phone call or send a text if I wanted to and there were occasions where my actual phone acted out and I had to use the razr temporarily. Boy, did it bring back so many memories.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:54:04 AM

Neurons: 297,615
My first computer was Mikro Mikko 1 (Nokia)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
You know who I am
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:02:46 PM

Neurons: 4,712
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
My first computer was Mikro Mikko 1 (Nokia)

It still looks modern, though.
BTW
Is that a micro-wave plugged to the computer?

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:10:53 PM

Neurons: 149,215
That is the computer.

The huge box on the right is just the monitor - a Cathode Ray Tube television with electronic valves (what the Americans call 'tubes').

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
You know who I am
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:02:57 PM

Neurons: 4,712
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
That is the computer.

The huge box on the right is just the monitor - a Cathode Ray Tube television with electronic valves (what the Americans call 'tubes').

Thank God I wasn't alive in that century Whistle

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 4:15:11 AM

MikroMikko 1 M6

Processor: Intel 8085, 2 MHz
64 kB RAM, 4 kB ROM

Display: 80×24 character text mode, the 25th row was used as a status row. Graphics resolutions 160×75 and 800×375 pixels, refresh rate 50 Hz

Two 640 kB 5.25" floppy drives (other models might only have one drive)
Optional 5 MB hard disk (stock in model M7)

Connectors: two RS-232s, display, printer, keyboard

Software: Nokia CP/M 2.2 operating system, Microsoft Basic, editor, assembler and debugger

Cost: 30,000 FIM in 1984

leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:53:16 AM

Neurons: 25,782
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
That is the computer.

The truth is stranger than that. This is very similar to my first computer the RS 99/4a, in fact I recognize some of the same components that were manufactured to order by Texas Instruments.

The entire CPU, BIOS, NVRAM, RAM, and motherboard are packed under the keyboard. The "toaster oven" was connected by cable and contained a small co-processor and expansion bays for ROM/RAM cartridges that could load extra memory, software such as programming languages, or data processing modules. Software was also typically loaded from audio-cassette acting as a tape drive and the resulting data often dumped to another tape. Floppies were truly floppy and about 5.25 inches (133 mm) in diameter, and they held about 360 kB.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:17:01 AM

Neurons: 25,782
You know who I am wrote:
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
That is the computer.

Thank God I wasn't alive in that century Whistle

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Dancing
One thing that I miss is being so involved with the control of the machine. It always did exactly what I told it to do, no more, no less, and I really had to be clear about what it was I wanted to do. CP/M, and especially DR-DOS, facilitated clarity of thought, although BASIC often enabled sloppy execution in the form of "spaghetti code".

I have absolutely zero nostalgia for Win 95, even though it sucked somewhat less hard than Win 3.0.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:41:19 AM

Neurons: 149,215
leonAzul wrote:
I really had to be clear about what it was I wanted to do.

Yes - when you had to actually tell the computer what to do, you had to be very specific.

Wizard's first rule - get the final result very clearly in mind before you cast the spell!
You can't tell a demon "Make me gold!" or you end up being made into a gold statue.

A computer has to be told every infinitesimal step to take - in exactly the right order.

The trouble nowadays is that you - the end user - don't know what your computer is being told to do, and by whom!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:01:03 AM

One of the first early super computers has to be Konrad Zuse's series of machines. Created in 1930s and 40s, they were one of the very first computers to be programmable as well as capable of multifunction.

Here is the Z1 computer. In the foreground is the manual crank for driving the clock frequency by hand! -

jamespslab
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 7:27:34 AM

Neurons: 11
If you ever decide to rid yourself of them, there are collectors who will pay top dollar in an auction...as in eBay.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:18:31 AM

Neurons: 871,344
Arquebus wrote:
I have plenty of these install disks laying around my house and I can't find a need for them; however, they offer me some sort of sentimental value, some sort of mawkish weirdness that newer operating systems don't do. Does anyone else experience this strange nostalgia? It's quite depressing.

W95 OSR2.1 was a great OS. I used it for over a decade. The install routine was fairly easy to subvert so you could get it to install as an upgrade without it prompting for a key. You could also install it without IE or any of the other crap that left if weak and hobbling around on crutches.