The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Improvement of text Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:06:12 AM

Neurons: 7,064
Whether one will be born as an animal or a human, the key point is karma that you have created. The future lifetime of your father, mother and yourself depends on their and your karma.

1. Should it be reborn instead of born?

2. I don't think key point is the correct term. I would rewrite the sentence as:

"Whether one will be born/reborn as an animal or a human is dependent on the karma that you have created".

Is my suggestion workable?

Thanks.
You know who I am
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:22:02 AM

Neurons: 4,181
Koh Elaine wrote:
Whether one will be born as an animal or a human, the key point is karma that you have created. The future lifetime of your father, mother and yourself depends on their and your karma.

1. Should it be reborn instead of born?

2. I don't think key point is the correct term. I would rewrite the sentence as:

"Whether one will be born/reborn as an animal or a human is dependent on the karma that you have created".

Is my suggestion workable?

Thanks.

Hello, Koh.

Again, it depends on what you want to say; if you say: Whether one will be reborn as an animal or human - you will be talking about resurrection, i.e: be born again - reborn.

If you say: Whether one will be born as an animal or a human - you will be simply talking about being born.

The key point is an expression, which doesn't necessarily mean to depend on; it means something like: The major point, the principal point, the principal aspect..

Nonetheless, your example has the very same meaning; both "depend on the karma" and "the key point is the.." work perfectly, which basically mean:

Whether one will be reborn as an animal or human, it is based on their karma..

Have a happy Easter!

I am the way, and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. - John 14:6
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:35:40 AM

Neurons: 131,240
What You know who I am says is true.

That original sentence (using "born" and "key point") is not wrong, but your suggestions say the same thing - the same meaning.

1. Because the second sentence specifies "future life", then I think that "reborn" is much more fitting.

2. Karma is the key point - but (if I know my theory of karma correctly) it is the ONLY point.
The phrase "key point" seems to imply that there are other minor points.
If it is true that karma is the only deciding factor, then "key point" is not the perfect phrase.

However, the main verb of the second sentence is "depends on".
Therefore, it may be a good idea to find a synonym for 'depend on' to use in the first sentence.
The ones I found are:
depend upon, devolve on, hinge on, hinge upon, turn upon, be contingent upon
The sentence requires a 'formal style', so I wouldn't use 'hinge' or 'turn'.

Edited to add this correction.
Also, since the first sentence starts using the pronoun "one", "you" should not be used as a substitute. It's OK to change for the second sentence, as that is virtually a total re-wording of the same datum.

I like:
Whether one will be reborn as an animal or a human is contingent upon karma that one has created. The future lifetime of your father, mother and yourself depends on their and your karma.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:38:24 AM

Neurons: 7,064
Thanks, DragOnspeaker, for your crystal-clear reply.