The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Avoiding political harassment (for fair-minded readers) Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:35:16 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

Are you (or someone you know) planning to attend an American university? (If NOT, then don't waste your precious time reading this post.)


*****


My library discussion group discussed this topic for two hours.

Some young people (all of whom are new citizens) are preparing to enter the university this fall.

They identify themselves as moderates or "conservatives."

They fear that they may be harassed verbally or even physically by "liberal" students or professional (paid) activists.

Our discussion group has come up with some points that they should follow.

Then they will probably be able to avoid any serious political harassment.


1. Never, ever discuss any controversial topic.

2. If directly asked for your opinion, always give the politically correct answer.

3. If asked to participate in a protest march, do so. (During the march, you may be able to slip away without notice.)

4. If asked to sign a protest petition, do so.

5. If asked to contribute financially, do so.

6. Remember that many university instructors are "liberal" (or claim that they are in order to curry favor with their "liberal" students). So on examinations, tell that professor what s/he wants to hear.

7. A few courageous "conservative" or moderate students do not hide their political positions. You should stay away from them, lest you be identified as being one of them.

8. If you are in the fields of math, science, engineering, etc., there is a little bit less political agitation among such students, but it exists. So do not let your guard down.

9. Finally, remember the old American saying: To get along, you have to go along.

a. That is to say, if you want friendly relations with the majority, then you will have to do as the majority does.



I wish you a pleasant new week!




P.S. Google News reports that yesterday there was a physical fight between anti- and pro-Trump demonstrators at a well-known California university. There were injuries on both sides.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:07:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 25,238
Neurons: 131,330
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
The simpler way is just don't go to a USA university - in fact everyone should move away from the USA as soon as possible.

As shown by The Parser's continued warnings, everyone in the USA is liable to be shot, mugged, attacked, knocked down by a car and blown up at some time this week.

It's better to move to a free country.


Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:50:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 11,820
Neurons: 35,733
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Applause Applause Applause
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:14:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

The Trump supporting coward who punched a woman in Berkeley today is an Alt-Right, white supremacist named Nathan Damigo #TrumpsAmerica. And the guy wearing the "Jesus will judge you" shirt does not seem to be worried about what Jesus will think of his actions.






https://itsgoingdown.org/biggest-racist-alt-right-rally-2017-happening-berkeley/

They planned it and they planned for violence.

It appears Conservatives are not the ones who need to be afraid.

All superpowers have fallen at some point or another.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/8-reasons-why-rome-fell

Edited - Populist alt-right hatred coming to Canadian universities too with their racist propaganda and symbols. Unfortunately. It was there before but they are coming out of the woodwork now that they have had encouragement.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/opinion-campus-right-wing-populism-1.3932742



A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:10:40 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
Drag0nspeaker wrote:


As shown by The Parser's continued warnings, everyone in the USA is liable to be shot, mugged, attacked, knocked down by a car and blown up at some time this week.





Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

DragOnspeaker is basically a fair-minded person, except when it comes to certain subjects, like crime.


It does NOT matter that he mocks me.

As some of you know, some individuals have been insulting me for years. So I am used to it. I usually do not respond to insults and I do not even bother to read the posts of certain individuals anymore.

It DOES matter, however, that his mocking words are a cruel insult to the thousands and thousands of crime victims and their families.

Their suffering is horrific.

The crime rate is so much higher than where our friend DragOnspeaker lives.

In fact, many crimes are NOT even reported.

If you come to the United States and settle in a big city, you will soon realize why so many Americans are concerned about crime.

You will understand why so many Americans have guns.

You will understand why so many Americans pay hundreds of dollars every year to private security services that install alarms in houses and that send security officers to drive around the neighborhood on a 24-hour basis.

You will understand why no one in his right mind would take public transportation late at night.

It is very sad that people who do not understand the problem that exists here think that it is OK make light of it.

Very sad, indeed!





Have a nice day!





Ash_Lingua
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:26:31 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 12/19/2014
Posts: 65
Neurons: 282,876
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Sorry, Parser, but this time and with all due respect, I just don't believe you know what you're talking about. I have been in and around university campuses for forty years and sure-fire ways to have an eventful, challenging collegial experience:


1. Make assessments, not assertions.
2. Be unwilling or unable to provide evidence for your assertions.
3. Talk over other people. Drown them out. Don't let others express their points of view.
4. Be condescending. Cloak your dismissal in reasonableness
4. Do engage in deception.
5. Do denigrate people; do not allow the stance of an elected or appointed official on 'your side' to be questioned; never allow anyone to question their actions.
6. Do engage in slander and libel.
7. Be disrespectful.

8. Remember that the First Amendment only applies to you and to fair-minded people like you. When 'they' get angry because your viewpoint threatens their livelihood, freedoms, or rights, they are acting out of blindness, shallowness, and ignorance
If they feel your viewpoint threatens their livelihood, freedoms, or rights, they are hysterical.

9. All news and facts that don't support your point of view are fake. This one has only cropped up recently, both in general news and in scientific research funded by those who have an investment in a particular outcome (this used to be a no-no.)

10. Protests are okay (from either 'side'). Mobs are better. All mobs Join mobs. Mobs don't behave the way individuals do. You don't have to behave responsibly. You can do things you wouldn't dream of doing normally




TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:44:30 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780



Thank you, Ash Lingua, for your comments.

I am not a very intelligent person, so I am not too sure of the point that you wanted to make.

Obviously, some of your comments are critical of me.

Then, some of your comments seem to support me.

You have been around university campuses for 40 years.

That's great.

I am guessing that your experiences have been different from what is happening on many campuses today.

You are writing from Frisco.

So then you know about the recent violence at one of our finest universities (where protesters threw homemade bombs!).

I do believe that the conclusions of my library group would be helpful to new students who don't want to be harassed by the "liberal" majority.

If you disagree, that is, of course, your right.

You have nothing to be sorry for.

Actually, your 10 points seem to describe the "liberal" majority. (No. 3, for example. "Liberals" recently used violence to stop someone from speaking.)

Your post was civil and not full of personal insults.

That is very rare for this forum.




Have a pleasant new week!
tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:21:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 3,897
Neurons: 51,041
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:
I do believe that the conclusions of my library group would be helpful to new students who don't want to be harassed by the "liberal" majority.


Where is your evidence that the liberal majority is harrassing anyone? There are, undoubtedly, some people who use every opportunity to harrass, bully, threaten any point of view that is is the slightest bit right of centre. Such people are no more 'liberal' than the KKK or Westboro Baptists are moderate Republicans.

I as a 'liberal' (though I don't normally use the quotes) deplore the illiberal views and actions of such people.

Parser, if you have a fair-minded bone in your body, try reading the words of some of those of us whom dismiss as bullies. We do not wish to censor in any way, shape or form the expression of views that we may informally label 'right-wing'. We do not wish to stifle discussion. We do, unlike you, read and listen to the viewsof those who hold dissimilar views.

Some of the things you have accused 'liberals' of are indeed despicable. What you fail to realise is that your so-called 'liberal majority' does not approve of these things either.

TheParser claims that he does not read my posts. Perhaps some of the many friends he sometimes claims to speak for might point this post out to him. As far as I can see, my post has been was civil and 'not full of personal insults'.

so, over to you, Jamess.


Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:07:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 37,615
Neurons: 239,393
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland



In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:03:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,225
Neurons: 137,028
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Parser, just one question.

Why is it that a bunch of damn foreigners (Drago, Romany, Hope, Jyrkka) know more about true political harassment, and can identify false allegations of harassment in the US but you cannot? Could it possibly be the sources of information used for your news?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:14:53 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
progpen wrote:


Why is it that a bunch of ... foreigners ... know more about true political harassment, and can identify false allegations of harassment in the US but you cannot?



Good morning, Progpen:

Your humble servant is not very well-educated, but I do believe that the sentence that I have quoted is a classic example of begging the question.

In other words, you assume that what you have stated is true.

YOU say that those individuals know more about political harassment than I.

YOU say that I cannot identify false allegations of harassment.

Of course, you have the right to your opinion.

But your saying it does not make it necessarily true.

I guess the most famous example of begging the question is: When did you stop beating your wife? (Asked of a man who has NEVER beaten his wife.)


If you want to deny that campus "liberals" regularly harass those students who disagree with them, that is, of course, your right.

If you want to deny that "liberal" students regularly interrupt speeches by "conservatives," that is, of course, your right.

If you want deny that "conservatives" in Hollywood (aka the entertainment industry) are terrified that "liberals" will deny them roles, that is, of course, your right.



As I have often said, this forum exists for people to blow off steam.

98% of the posters "dislike" President Trump and think that "liberals" are just wonderful angelic beings.

The "Politics" forum exists so that those 98% can agree with one another and share good times together. It's like a club of like-minded individuals.

You will notice that most non-"liberals" steer clear of posting in this forum.

They realize that it is a total waste of time.

The only reason that I post here is that I feel someone should represent the fair-minded and moderate members and guests, of whom there are more than you can imagine.


*****


I do commend you for staying on topic.

That is why I decided to read and answer you.

To the best of my knowledge, you have never indulged in personal insults or name-calling.

So I can now genuinely wish you a nice day.


P.S. You Democrats may be very happy tonight. There is a strong chance that a Democrat may win that special Congressional election down there in Georgia.




Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:28:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 742
Neurons: 326,577
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
TheParser wrote:
I do believe that the sentence that I have quoted is a classic example of begging the question.

In other words, you assume that what you have stated is true.


Other great examples that perfectly match TheParser's definition of 'begging the question':


"98% of the posters "dislike" President Trump and think that "liberals" are just wonderful angelic beings."
"The "Politics" forum exists so that those 98% can agree with one another and share good times together. It's like a club of like-minded individuals."
"You will notice that most non-"liberals" steer clear of posting in this forum."
"They realize that it is a total waste of time."
"[...]someone should represent the fair-minded and moderate members and guests, of whom there are more than you can imagine."
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:59:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,225
Neurons: 137,028
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Parser. The entire point is that you see difference of opinion as harassment. That is not the case.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
tunaafi
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:32:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 3,897
Neurons: 51,041
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:

98% of the posters "dislike" President Trump and think that "liberals" are just wonderful angelic beings .

I cam name three posters who regularly seem to favour Trump - you, hedy andFounDit. Can you name 147 who dislike Trump? If not, your '98%' is simply a figment of your imagination.


Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:42:17 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,225
Neurons: 137,028
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
TheParser wrote:
98% of the posters "dislike" President Trump and think that "liberals" are just wonderful angelic beings.


Ok, so I'm angelic. What's your point?

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:24:45 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
progpen wrote:
Parser. The entire point is that you see difference of opinion as harassment.



Hello again, Progpen.

Just to duly acknowledge your comment and to respectfully reject it.


A Supreme Court justice once said that he could not define "pornography," but he knew it when he saw it.

I know "harassment" when I see it. E.g., when "liberals" create a violent disturbance so that speakers cannot express their views.

All fair-minded readers know that your side is in the wrong.

You can't fool them.

No one agrees with you except your fellow "liberals" in this forum.



Have a great day!
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:32:01 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
progpen wrote:


Ok, so I'm angelic. What's your point?



That's the point.

You guys are not angelic.


Irony, my friend.














progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:33:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,225
Neurons: 137,028
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
Thank you, Parser. You have validated darn near everything I've said since I started on this forum.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:39:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
progpen wrote:
Thank you, Parser. You have validated darn near everything I've said since I started on this forum.



And I thank you, Progpen. You have validated darn near everything I've said since I started on this forum.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:47:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/berkeley-protest-louise-rosealma-describes-melee-after-being-punched/



A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:53:33 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 1,225
Neurons: 137,028
Location: Princeton, Minnesota, United States
But Hope, what about those poor defenseless White Supremacists? They were obviously terrified of those women protesters, I mean, they could have burned a bra or something.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. ― Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:43:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
JJ, love your diagram. So true.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Romany
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:34:48 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 11,820
Neurons: 35,733
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Since Parsar has taken on the badge of spokesperson not just for his own mind-set, but for "more people than you can imagine".(Rather insulting: I have a vivid imagination: I can 'imagine' millions and billlions of people, personally!) perhaps I too should address - if not all those billions of imaginary people- at least the group he swears he is representing down at his library.

I think we all appreciate that their influence has helped him to express himself in a much less inflammatory voice; and even to express new ideas we haven't seen from him before.

However, I have a particular plea: can you explain to him what 'fair-mindedness' actually means? It is rather embarrassing that on a forum which is about language, posts which are extremely subjective, which state specifically that discussion or other views are ignored, which assume a 'correct' world-view and an 'incorrect one, which employ passive-aggressiveness,which present personal ideas as truth, which are never presented with evidence/proof, in which lies that have already been discounted in public are presented, which denigrate the majority of other posters; - all have no relation to objectivity?

And perhaps one of you could actually overcome the intense 'fear' Parsar tells me I invoke, and explain a question I have been putting forward for years. From the beginning, Parsar has identified TFD as a 'nest' a 'gang' a 'group' of "Liberals" "Lefties" & "Democrats". What, then, was his reason for joining?

Did he not realise that if you divide the world into "Us" and Them", then joining a group of "Them" is rash at the very least. I know I'd certainly never subscribe to a KKK or a White Supremicist gang, group or nest. But if I was compelled to by, say a Messiah complex,I certainly wouldn't go in there expecting everyone to suddenly change their ways because of me. Cliches about heat and kitchens spring unbound to mind.

"98% of the posters "dislike" President Trump and think that "liberals" are just wonderful angelic beings.
The "Politics" forum exists so that those 98% can agree with one another and share good times together. It's like a club of like-minded individuals."

The jejune nature of these sentences is rather telling: As the figure supplied (98%) has been discussed and shown to have no basis in fact (because most people are not political) the Parsar still considers it valid because he ignores any voice which does not conform to his personal ideology.However, if he THINKS it's true, the question of why he would ever become part of a 98% demographic that opposes everything he thinks becomes more pertinent.

Because yes, we all DID join to share with like-minded individuals,and to have good times together. That is the whole, entire purpose of a Forum: we all have the same ideas of how one discusses or debates, or provides proof to back up our ideas, or hurts the feelings of others. Or what is considered unacceptable behaviour and what isn't. This is not a Chat Room or the 'Comments" sector of daily media.

It is indeed a forum of like-minded people: politically diverse, socially diverse, nationally diverse - and open to the different experiences, ideologies and adventures the forum exposes them to.We all learn from each other and, despite the Parsar's (also un-referenced) continual statement that 'no-one will ever change their minds', constant interaction with other views has indeed caused many of us to change ideas and long-held but mistaken ideas.

ps - Just a wish-list: but I don't suppose any of you would like to explain the difference between being 'humble' and being 'obsequious'? After, all, true humility would be admitting that there were, in this world, more thing in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in [ones own] philosophy - or knowledge banks. Obsequiousness is objectionable, false and, really, rather sickening.
Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:10:35 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 742
Neurons: 326,577
Location: Gent, Flanders, Belgium
Romany wrote:
can you explain to him what 'fair-mindedness' actually means? It is rather embarrassing that on a forum which is about language, posts which are extremely subjective, which state specifically that discussion or other views are ignored, which assume a 'correct' world-view and an 'incorrect one, which employ passive-aggressiveness,which present personal ideas as truth, which are never presented with evidence/proof, in which lies that have already been discounted in public are presented, which denigrate the majority of other posters; - all have no relation to objectivity?

And perhaps one of you could actually overcome the intense 'fear' Parsar tells me I invoke, and explain a question I have been putting forward for years. From the beginning, Parsar has identified TFD as a 'nest' a 'gang' a 'group' of "Liberals" "Lefties" & "Democrats". What, then, was his reason for joining?


I second this and would personally love to hear from the members of said library group directly - or of others represented by TheParser. After all, what is there to fear if we are only here, as TheParser puts it, to vent our opinions, to learn/teach and not to debate? Also I'm sure it would help him feel less alone in facing the 'liberal 98%' - assuming the library group members all share his opinions, of course.
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:28:31 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 3,897
Neurons: 51,041
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
For reasons that I do not need to explain to the thousands of fair-minded members who are terrified to express their views publicly for fear of the harrassment and bullying my humble and unworthy self has been subjected to ever since I joined the forum, I do not read the posts of that person who posted the hysterical rant above.

However, some of my moderate, fair-minded friends at our local library discussion and knitting group have urged me to respond to the untrue allegations it undoubtedly contains.

1. Some people think that self-congratulatory demands for 'evidence' of what is self-evidently true are a cover for "Liberal" attempts to force everybody into their way of thinking.

2. Some people think that the figure of 98% for the posters who dislike our wonderful president is an understatement.

3. Some people think that fair-minded people do not need to hear "liberal" opinions. They know by insight and
common sense that such arguments are illiberal, immoderate and dangerous to health and sanity.

4. Some people think that a certain female might be more respected if she knew her place as a woman.

As an uneducated and unbelievably humble person, I don't dare give you my opinion. However, I know that you as moderate and fair-minded people will weigh up the FACTS that I have given you and decide moderately, calmly and coolly whether or not you can place any credence in the hysterical rants of this "liberal" bully.

(To fair-minded people) Have a super-nice day!

ThePoseur


Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:11:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Proof positive there are some Conservatives - well at least Trump supporters - who try to shut down free speech. It is not only some liberals.

Unless of course Parser thinks Trump supporters are liberals.

Although judging by the tweets, I doubt university students would ever encounter them in class or on campus unless they are there as at Berkeley to disrupt protests and punch women. (Parser must have a very young coffee klatch for such an old man. Or maybe the coffee klatch knows about these young folks from hearsay, rather than knowing them personally?)

Trump's Twitter Mob reaches Canada and harasses woman, threatening her with an acid bath.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst165144_Trump-s-Twitter-Mob-Reaches-Canada---Should-Twitter-Be-Forced-to-Shut-Down-Hate-Tweets-.aspx

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:23:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
"Universities expose young people to ideas and challenge what they believe about science, politics, religion or whatever. But many students today exist only in the bubble of what they believe, he said.
"It's an indicator of the erosion of the commitment to open exchange and a retreat into psychobabble," Citrin said.

Trump's rhetoric is spawning hate -- on both sides."


"Survey of college students - 31% say they hear disrespectful, inappropriate, or offensive comments about someone's race, ethnicity, or religion at their college."

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:25:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,007
Neurons: 18,780
UPDATE for those readers who are moderate (not "conservative" or "liberal").

Something has just happened that proves the wisdom of my library group.

A famous woman "conservative" was scheduled to speak at a famous California university.

The university yesterday canceled her speech.

The university was afraid that "liberal" students and (paid) "liberal" protestors would use violence to stop her from speaking.

That is the climate today at many American universities.

If you have any loved ones currently enrolled at American universities, be sure to tell them to keep their mouths shut. In 2017, American universities are dangerous places for "conservatives" and moderates.

Watching the news on TV, one library group member commented, "No one is more intolerant than an American 'liberal.' "




Have a nice day!


tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:09:21 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 3,897
Neurons: 51,041
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:
A famous woman "conservative" was scheduled to speak at a famous California university.

The university yesterday canceled her speech.


Please give us the name of the woman and the name of the university so that we can read for ourselves what happened.

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:01:31 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Probably Ann Coulter at Berkeley. She is a real winner. Definitely not a moderate. Whistle

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39657088

Why are the Young Republicans trying to bring in controversial extremists such as Richard Spencer, leader of the White Supremacists, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, and David Horowitz? Why not bring in true Conservatives to talk policy?

Free speech is often a shield for hate speech - which is against the law in Canada. I don't know American laws. You be the judge of Ann Coulter's quotes which are in italics. Are they free speech, hate speech, or just plain stupidity? Would you really want your youth listening to this?

Quotes - https://www.thoughtco.com/ann-coulter-quotes-2734315


"There is a growing body of evidence that radiation in excess of what the government says are the minimum amounts we should be exposed to are actually good for you and reduce cases of cancer." -Ann Coulter, on fears over the fallout from Japan's nuclear crisis, Bill O'Reilly interview, March 18, 2011

"You will find liberals always rooting for savages against civilization." –Ann Coulter
"They didn't root for the Nazis against civilization." –Bill O'Reilly
"Oh yes they did. Ann Coulter


"I don't really like to think of it as a murder. It was terminating Tiller in the 203rd trimester. ... I am personally opposed to shooting abortionists, but I don't want to impose my moral values on others." --on the murder of Kansas abortion doctor George Tiller, FOX News interview, June 22, 2009

"We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say." --arguing that it would be better if we were all Christian

And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women..."

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

"I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but you have to go into rehab if you use the word faggot." --at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference
."

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefparrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much." -on 9/11 widows who have been critical of the Bush administration

"We need somebody to put rat poisoning in Justice Stevens' creme brulee. That's just a joke, for you in the media."

"There are a lot of bad republicans; there are no good democrats."

"We need to execute people like (John Walker Lindh) in order to physically intimidate liberals."


"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots."

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity."


"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."




"God gave us the earth.

We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours.'"

"Liberals hate America, they hate flag-wavers, they hate abortion opponents, they hate all religions except Islam, post 9/11. Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now
."

"I think the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East and sending liberals to Guantanamo."

"Why not go to war just for oil? We need oil. What do Hollywood celebrities imagine fuels their private jets? How do they think their cocaine is delivered to them?"

"Press passes can't be that hard to come by if the White House allows that old Arab Helen Thomas to sit within yards of the President."

"The swing voters -- I like to refer to them as the idiot voters because they don't have set philosophical principles...
."

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:29:40 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Free speech is being used to justify sexist, racist and anti-LGBTQ views and hate speech.

However, here are some people who agree that free speech (minus hate speech) should be protected at universities.

"Student activism has long been ingrained in the culture of college campuses, but protests about perceived discrimination over the past year have been especially tense.
These issues have been so pervasive at colleges that Barack Obama, Clarence Thomas, and Michael Bloomberg all warned about political correctness gone awry and the dangers of limiting free speech during their respective commencement speeches."


Also from this link is a list of speakers who were disinvited and reasons why.


http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-disinvited-speakers-at-colleges-2016-7





A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
tunaafi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:46:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 3,897
Neurons: 51,041
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Hope123 wrote:


Why are the Young Republicans trying to bring in controversial extremists such as Richard Spencer, leader of the White Supremacists, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, and David Horowitz?


Who knows?

Some might feel that by putting her on a platform, her ignorant bigotry can be exposed and countered, ridding conservatives of the embarrassment of having the word 'conservative' associated with such people.

Others might hope that her advertised presence might provoke the sort of violent demonstration that appears to have occurred, thus 'proving' how illiberal and opposed to freedom of expression so-called liberals are in reality.

Others still might genuinely wish to discover if she is really as bad as has been reported.

Whatever the reason, my own, strictly personal view, is that universities of all places should not refuse a voice to anybody unless it can be shown that that person's words are clearly in breach of the law of the land.

If I expect the right to express my own views, so long as I do not incite criminal acts, however unpleasant some might find those views, then I must espect the right of others to express their views, so long as they do not incite criminal acts, however unpleasant I may find them
.

Quote:
Why not bring in true Conservatives to talk policy?


I don't really think it's up to liberals to suggest who Young Republicans should listen to, or to decide what makes a 'true Conservative'.

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:15:00 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Give me a break, Tuna. I am not suggesting liberals choose who - these are the backgrounds of the four I mentioned-

Yiannopoulos is a British media personality associated with the political alt-right and a former senior editor for Breitbart News.
Coulter thrives on creating controversy including rowdy uprisings at some of the colleges.
Richard Spencer is president of the National Policy Institute, a white nationalist think tank, and has his own agenda - he advocates "peaceful ethnic cleansing"...
David Horowitz was cancelled by the Republicans themselves because they didn't like the time, venue, and cost of $7788. He is a known racist and defender of slavery.

If they prefer to bring in people they know are extremists, then they shouldn't bitch about higher costs and the fact the venue has to be more secure.

I would add "endorse violence" to the "incite" you mention. Which Coulter clearly did in some of her quotes.

Hate speech is against the law of the land in Canada - don't know American laws.

BTW - Announced tonight - Berkeley is letting her speak and moving to a more secure venue.


A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:39:53 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 5,758
Neurons: 34,544
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Canada - "hate propaganda denotes any expression that is "intended or likely to circulate extreme feelings of opprobrium and enmity against a racial or religious group".

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
almo 1
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 4:56:49 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 389
Neurons: 1,675
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan




Berkeley students who invited Ann Coulter sue school



thehill.com/homenews/news/330249-berkeley/2017/04/24




Berkeley Sued For Cancelling Ann Coulter’s Speech



dailycaller.com/2017/04/24/berkeley





Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.