The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Morgue, mortuary,funeral parlour, funeral home Options
D00M
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:53:32 AM

Neurons: 3,660
I got confused by all these words. I consulted my dictionary but I can't still understand their usage clearly.
Morgue, mortuary,funeral parlor, funeral home

Would you kindly explain them to me in a simple way? I want to make sure that I would use them correctly and to the point in different contexts.

Thank you so much in advance.

I am looking forward to your answers.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:24:03 AM

Neurons: 149,104
A mortuary is any place where dead bodies are stored (awaiting burial usually). It is a very general word and covers both 'morgue' and 'funeral home'.

A morgue is an American word meaning a police or governmental mortuary.
They are usually shown as places where bodies of unknown people are kept while the police find out who they are - or bodies which are to be used as evidence for a criminal investigation.

A funeral home is a place where bodies are stored and prepared for burial - coffin prepared, body dressed in good clothes and put in the coffin. Sometimes it is actually part of the crematorium or funeral chapel where the funeral occurs.

I think that a funeral parlour is the same as a funeral home.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
D00M
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:33:31 AM

Thank you very much for your crystal clear answer, the lovely dragon.

D00M
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:38:07 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

A morgue is an American word meaning a police or governmental mortuary.
They are usually shown as places where bodies of unknown people are kept while the police find out who they are - or bodies which are to be used as evidence for a criminal investigation.

Is there a British word for it? Or the Britons simply say 'a police mortuary/governmental mortuary'?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:59:55 AM

Neurons: 149,104
I think 'mortuary' would be used mostly for the police/public one in Britain.

I've only heard 'morgue' used in its other meaning (a place where old news stories are kept - a newspaper library).

It is unusual, because 'morgue' is from a French word - and you seem to find more French words in British English than American English.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mactoria
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:06:08 AM

Neurons: 942,290
D00M wrote:
Thank you very much for your crystal clear answer, the lovely dragon.

DOOM: just add to DragOn's comment that in the US, "morgue" is also the name of the place dead bodies are stored in a hospital while they await removal, usually a funeral home for preparation for burial. Morgues, as your search of definitions probably showed you, have cooled storage to keep dead bodies from excessive decomposition. Hospitals in the US, at least moderate to large hospitals, have morgues to keep bodies until decisions can be made by either family or authorities as to where they need to go, particularly in the cases of people who die at night. In the US, hospital morgues used to be used for non-mandated autopsies (mandated autopsies being those required by state or local laws), but few it any hospitals do non-mandated autopsies anymore due to fear of liability; they used to do them to learn more about what caused deaths (ie medical error) but a few decades ago hospital legal departments decided it was best not to find out if a medical error happened or to leave a trail of evidence for a family to find.