The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do Pool Chemicals React with Hair Dye? Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:30:12 AM

Neurons: 43,812
Anybody know (or preferably have experience with) if chemicals in swimming pools do/can change the color of hair dye used by beauticians? If so the only preventive I see online is to cover your head in coconut oil before swimming? A bit of water does get inside a swim cap.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:10:10 AM

Neurons: 69,736
At times pool keepers add Chlorine to the pool water to disinfect it. A very dilute solution thus formed has no significant effect. Moreover, it depends upon the chemicals used in preparing the dye. Yes, it is better to cover up your dyed hair with a waterproof cap.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 4:52:00 AM

Neurons: 161,452
From my small experience of American pools (Florida, actually) they contain significant amounts of Chlorine - to the extent that you come out smelling of it when you have been swimming.
It has enough effect to make ones eyes water continually and sting.

This amount would probably react to some degree with dyes, but I have no idea how much. Chlorine gas, chlorine solution and sodium hypochlorite are all bleaching agents (sodium hypochlorite is what you buy as "bleach").
Chlorine is one of the most chemically active elements there is (along with Oxygen!)

I don't know whether Canada contributes to the "everyone is contagious, got to disinfect everything" club.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
mactoria
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:22:04 AM

Neurons: 1,167,415
Hope123 wrote:
Anybody know (or preferably have experience with) if chemicals in swimming pools do/can change the color of hair dye used by beauticians? If so the only preventive I see online is to cover your head in coconut oil before swimming? A bit of water does get inside a swim cap.

Hope: interesting question. Having to admit to a bit of touch-up dye, I haven't experienced a change of color when using the pool in my fitness center. However, I have noticed that the texture of my hair is affected after using it, getting drier and a bit more coarse, at least at the ends. As for the assumption by others of chlorine being the culprit (if there is one), it's my understanding that pools in gyms and fitness centers in the US presently use a mixture of disinfecting chemicals that may or may not include a bit of chlorine; there are a number of disinfectants less astringent that are in use. As for motel/hotel pools, I'd assume the use of chlorine for germ-killing varies based on the sophistication of the motel/hotel company, since there are clearly other chemicals available now beyond simple chlorine.
Romany
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 2:00:52 PM

Neurons: 42,695

In the 10 years that I've been pink, swimming in pools has never been a problem hair-wise, Hope. I don't think chlorine is used any more - certainly hasn't been for years in countries I've swum in. That really used to be a shocker - and did effect hair colour even if it isn't

But I always a apply hair-masque after using a pool because - as you more than anyone know - chemicals don't do one much good. (And I've already got a head full of them).

Hope123
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 6:53:29 PM

Thanks, Folks.

Drago and Joshi, it is an LA Fitness Club (USA owned) and I don't get the chlorine smell when I enter the pool area. (I have smelled pure chlorine cleaning fluid so I don't think that is all that is going on, but I read once that the smell you get is from the reaction of chlorine to urine. Ewww.)

I don't know what chemicals LA Fitness uses but I do see people going in without showering - always makes me want to say something although I haven't - so they do check the chemical levels every hour. I should ask what they use.

My hairdresser does not know either what will happen. My friend said my purple hair will turn green. I had asked for streaks across the top and on one side but it ended up one big swatch which she says will blend in more in about a week. It is so out of character for me that everybody says something - but I'm having fun with it. I did a patch test and nowadays the dye does not need to touch your scalp. She also said because my hair is already white she didn't need a developer. So I got away without any reaction. :)

Anyhow, I decided not to go swimming yesterday and to wait till after I see my family on Sunday. My brother and his wife were here today.

Mactoria, I just bought a swim cap and it is probably just as well because the pool chemicals do dry and damage your hair. Romany, I do use a hair conditioner after shampooing. The swim shop sells a spray you put all over you to counteract chlorine - it is just Vitamin C - but it was $10 a can so I did not buy a second one. Don't know how that would react on dye plus chlorine anyhow.

I'll let you know what happens when I go swimming on Monday or Tuesday. 😀

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:12:41 PM

Best of Luck, Hope123!

Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:57:29 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Best of Luck, Hope123!

Thanks, AJ.

I swam this morning. The chlorine did not affect it. My gran told me that it is when they had to bleach dark hair blonde that the green effect appears with chlorine.

In fact, I purposely swam with no cap to try to bleach/fade it a bit. I distinctly told the beautician "streaks - no big swatch" - and yet she did a big swatch across the top and down one side. I have never had my hair colored before so I had no idea what she was doing. Anyhow, it has calmed down a bit and will be gone in six weeks or so. I'll just help it along with hydrogen peroxide and shampoo. :)

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:49:08 AM

Dyed my hair black for more than 30 years. Stopped now. All white. Shining. My wife, sisters, clients, friends and some other species of friends, I can't tell about, love it. As a lawyer, I sometimes get benefitted, professionally, unexpectedly, courtesy milky, icy or majestic ( anyway, you may take) hair.Dancing Dancing Dancing

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:05:42 PM

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Dyed my hair black for more than 30 years. Stopped now. All white. Shining. My wife, sisters, clients, friends and some others I can't tell about love it. As a lawyer, I sometimes get benefitted, professionally unexpectedly courtesy milky, icy or majestic ( anyway, you may take) hair.Dancing Dancing Dancing

Applause Applause Applause

Love it! The word I use for males is distinguished. (Don't know why only males. Should be for both genders.)

I get a lot of compliments about my white curly hair too. And a lot of women tell me they are envious. I bet the men are too of yours. Most would be glad just to have hair!

As I said this was my first time having a beautician dye my hair. She said it would look nice in a week - she was right. Yesterday two strangers in Costco said "I love your hair". 😀And I like it myself which is the important point.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:08:45 PM

Oh....great the compliments add to one's weight in the form of blood.

My compliments for Costo strangers.

Freda Kelly
Posted: Friday, November 3, 2017 5:20:35 AM

Neurons: 161,558
Hair dye should not be affected with the chlorine levels in commercial pools. I know in Florida, the health department regulates levels between 2-10 parts per million (ppm). This level is not high enough to change hair that has been dyed. In some residental pools with high stabilizer levels, chlorine levels may be higher than 10 ppm to counteract and allow sanitation. I believe even with higher chlorine levels hair which has been dyed will still have no color changes. The misconception with chlorine is that when you can smell chlorine, the levels are too high. Actually it means the chlorine smell is from chlorimates, which is used and renered ineffective. To rid chlorimates you would add more chlorine. When hair is turned green, this is also a misconception of high chlorine levels, when in fact there is high levels of copper in the water which need to be tested, treated, and remove.