mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do YOU cross the street correctly? Options
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:11:21 AM

Neurons: 18,749
NOT A TEACHER

Dear Fellow Learners:

If you come to the (United) States, you will need to know this verb.

This is how Americans are expected to cross the street:

1. Walk to the corner.

2. Wait until the signal says, "Walk."

3. Then look both ways (first to the left and then to the right) to make sure all automobiles have stopped. (Some irresponsible drivers do not obey the red light.)

4. Then cross the street.

Some irresponsible, lazy, or arrogant ("I'm too good to obey the law") pedestrians do not follow steps 1 - 4.

They cross in the middle of the block.

They can easily get hit by a car.

When an individual crosses in the middle of the block, we say that s/he is jaywalking.

If a police officer sees you jaywalking, s/he may issue you a citation {ticket), and then you must pay a fine (money).

Have a nice day!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:22:11 AM

Neurons: 2,766
It might be worth noting for English Language Learners that The Parsers lesson about the term 'Jaywalking' is correct for the American legal jurisdiction. ( Thank you for that The Parser)

However not every legal jurisdiction uses the term and recognises crossing the road in that manner as a legal offence, for example in the UK pedestrians can cross a road anywhere that pedestrians like, provided it is not a Motorway where pedestrians are banned.

You should only cross the road when it is safe to do so obviously.

(The Parser noticed a typo that I did not).

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:38:58 AM

Thank you very much for your comments.

Have a nice day!

P.S. What's a "round"?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:47:22 AM

Neurons: 2,766
TheParser wrote:

Thank you very much for your comments.

Have a nice day!

P.S. What's a "round"?

It is a typo, that should be a ' road', I will correct it in my original post.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:48:31 AM

Neurons: 131,330
In Britain, it is considered much safer to cross the road on a straight section with no corners.

On a straight section, the pedestrian just has to look left and right, along one single road, rather than check four different directions at the same time.

This is taught (or used to be) as the 'green cross code' - 'find a place to cross where you can see both directions easily' . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:20:11 AM

Thanks, Sarriesfan, for the clarification.

Thanks, DragOnspeaker, for the added information.

I wish you both a most pleasant day!
NKM
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:23:53 PM

Neurons: 128,083
Legal or not, I have found it more dangerous to cross at an intersection than at a straight section of road. As DragO says, it is much easier to check for traffic that can only be coming from right or left than to try to account for vehicles that may come from three, four or five directions.

The only time I have ever been struck by a car was at a crosswalk. Fortunately it was a low-speed impact, and I managed to fend it off with an outstretched arm so as to push myself back and thus avoid injury. Nonetheless I learned the lesson.

thar
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:11:32 PM

Neurons: 59,108
When you are this good-lookin', with hair this cool, traffic should stop for you!

It's all about the 'tude.

Rules don't apply when you're this beautiful

What do you mean, it's illegal? Rules are for other people...Whistle

coag
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:52:37 PM

Neurons: 4,233
Here is an article about the origin of the word.

Why Jaywalking is Called Jaywalking
The origin of the word has nothing to do with the shape of the letter J
(Webster)

PS
The point relevant to jaywalking, in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, reads:

Pedestrian crossing
144(22) Where portions of a roadway are marked for pedestrian use, no pedestrian shall cross the roadway except within a portion so marked. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (22).

The official term for the offence is:
418. Pedestrian fail to use cross-walk 144(22) $35.00
(Ontario Court of Justice)

If I understand correctly this Toronto Star article, the fine is usually more than $35 (there is an additional $15 court fee).

In the 18-month period between January 2012 and June 6, 2013, Toronto police officers issued 9,310 jaywalking tickets which accrued $473,935 in fines.
FROSTY X RIME
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:18:30 PM

Neurons: 9,002
Jaywalking? A very nice word to learn. thanks, TheParser.

What lovely photos of the jay birds with drool captions they are! Nice, thar!

I read Coag's link as well. Ta for that.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:33:28 AM

NKM wrote:
Legal or not, I have found it more dangerous to cross at an intersection than at a straight section of road. 

Absolutely!

But you can imagine the chaos that would occur in a big city if many people were jaywalking instead of using the crosswalk at the corner.

Here is what some cities are doing at busy intersections:

All cars in all directions come to a stop. Then pedestrians have complete freedom to cross the intersection without being in the confines of a crosswalk. For example, a pedestrian could walk from the southwest corner directly to the northeast corner.

I have heard that in some American cities, the police basically turn a blind eye (ignore) jaywalking.

In my city, the police have traditionally enforced the jaywalking law with vigor. One officer was quoted as saying something like: "Have you ever seen a person hit by a car and thrown into the air? It's pretty horrifying."

Have a great weekend!

TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:49:15 AM

Thanks, Thar, for the beautiful illustrations. Of course, jaywalking is a serious matter. A few years ago, the leader of the local teachers union was in a big hurry for a meeting. She ran across the street and was killed.

Thanks, Coag, for sharing that with us. By coincidence, a police officer in Sacramento, California, is in big trouble because there is video of him hitting a jaywalking pedestrian. The officer had wanted to speak with the pedestrian, but the man just kept walking away. So the officer grabbed him and the two had a fight.

Yes, Frosty, that is an interesting phrase to describe that way of crossing a street.

I wish you all a great weekend!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 9:49:48 AM

Neurons: 131,330
Ah! You seem to assume that there are lights on the corners.

Does this law only apply in those cases?

What about normal intersections?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 10:03:56 AM

Hi, DragOnspeaker:

As you know, the United States believes in states' rights.

So I can only tell you that in my state, the law is clear: There is a crosswalk at EVERY corner, even if it is not painted!

In theory (repeat: theory) a motorist must stop for a pedestrian who is crossing at a corner -- whether or not there is a painted crosswalk.

Of course, in reality, most people are not foolish enough to insist on that "right."

So people usually look for a corner that has traffic lights or at least "Stop" signs.

The couple in your picture would definitely have the right of way in my state.

Have a great weekend!
almo 1
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 11:06:22 AM

Neurons: 1,670
Hope123
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 12:57:15 PM

Neurons: 34,471
Especially don't jaywalk in Sacramento. Or challenge any policeman by taking off your jacket anywhere. There are heavy consequences for those misdemeanors. The policeman has been reprimanded as it was caught on video. I didn't watch to end where apparently there were seven officers surrounding him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sacramento-cop-caught-on-video-taking-down-beating-alleged-jaywalker/

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:48:36 AM

Hello, Almo, I don't see the connection with jaywalking, but I am sure that you do, so I just wanted to thank you for your contribution and to wish you a nice weekend.
coag
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:57:27 PM

Neurons: 4,233

Hello TheParser,

The name of the comedian is Jay Leno. On the screen behind him, in almo 1's video, it's written JAYWALKING. This can be interpreted as Jay (Leno) walking (on the streets).

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno was located in a Hollywood studio. In one segment of the show, Jay would walk out to the streets and ask people some
simple questions. The people's answers were usually incorrect and ridiculous, and that made the audience laugh.

I am pretty sure, you have known these things. I wrote my comments to English learners who might not be familiar with the show, although I am responding to your post.

almo 1's post is puzzling, though. almo 1 mentioned the citizenship test and showed a picture of Barack Obama. I wonder if he implies that Barack Obama was not born in the US. I wouldn't like to start a political discussion about the place of birth of the former American president, I just hope that almo 1 is a fair minded Japanese person.Whistle

Have a nice weekend.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:26:27 PM

Oh, wow!

Now I understand the connection between the topic of this thread and Jay Leno.

Thanks a million for pointing it out to me, Coag.

Have a great weekend!